Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejohnny_poke
Brownian movement

Loc: Europe
Another reason to not use peroxide?
    #9663478 - 01/23/09 05:03 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

As I'm sure you all know there is/has been a lot of talk about the use of dilute hydrogen peroxide: as an agar additive, to mist casing layers and even to dunk cakes before fruiting. Has a general consensus been reached on the subject now or is it still each to his own?

I understand that the mycelium produce the psilocin/psilocybin throughout their life cycle and not exclusively at the fruiting stage. So I imagine that a lot (not all) of the alkaloids present in the fruit at harvest would have been drawn out of the substrate along with most of it's moisture.

I was just thinking that since oxygen is known to break down psilocin...

Quote:

Taken from LSD, My Problem Child by Albert Hoffman: Psilocybin is the phosphoric acid ester of psilocin and, as such, is the first and hitherto only phosphoric-acid-containing indole compound discovered in nature. The phosphoric acid residue does not contribute to the activity, for the phosphoric-acid-free psilocin is just as active as psilocybin, but it makes the molecule more stable. While psilocin is readily decomposed by the oxygen in air, psilocybin is a stable substance.

...and since peroxide is known to be an oxidising agent, wouldn't exposing the mycelium to it (at any stage of developement) then reduce the potency of your product to some degree by breaking down the psilocin?

--------------------
[quote]But what our scientist does not realize is that every time he makes a measurement, the Flying Spaghetti Monster is there changing the results with His Noodly Appendage.[/quote]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineThe shroomy 1
Luminous beings surround me
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Aether
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Another reason to not use peroxide? [Re: johnny_poke]
    #9663780 - 01/23/09 07:36 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I tend to use it when I make agar plates.  At that level, the pro's outweigh the con's.  I really don't care what the psilocin levels are when I'm growing on agar, I do care that my agar dishes stay contaminant free long enough to make isolate transfers that will eventually make it to a grain jar.

The Shroomy 1

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

OfflineChoking victim
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Another reason to not use peroxide? [Re: The shroomy 1]
    #9663830 - 01/23/09 07:51 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

^
!
!
I agree.

Offlinejohnny_poke
Brownian movement

Loc: Europe
Re: Another reason to not use peroxide? [Re: Choking victim]
    #9664483 - 01/23/09 10:30 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Sure, the myc will have plenty of time to produce psilocin after the agar work, I can definately see your point here. But what about the folks who douse their substrate liberally with peroxidated water?

--------------------
[quote]But what our scientist does not realize is that every time he makes a measurement, the Flying Spaghetti Monster is there changing the results with His Noodly Appendage.[/quote]

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Another reason to not use peroxide? [Re: johnny_poke]
    #9664508 - 01/23/09 10:34 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Tertiary mycelium produces the actives.  The amounts in rhizomorphic or cottony mycelium are undetectable. I've long recommended against peroxide for any use other than to kill off Dactylium.  It's toxic to mushroom mycelium, so should not be used, especially with agar.  I see no wisdom in shocking your mycelium on a petri dish right at the time when you're trying to stimulate rapid growth.  Chemicals such as peroxide should not be used as a crutch to make up for sloppy sterile procedure.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinejust me
Friend
Male User Gallery

Loc: IL/MO/FL/TX/HI/OR
Re: Another reason to not use peroxide? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9664585 - 01/23/09 10:50 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Chemicals such as peroxide should not be used as a crutch to make up for sloppy sterile procedure.
RR

so where u make up for your non sterile technique, you hurt yourself in everything else

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------

-pEaCeLoVeGoDbLeSs-

"The Downfall of Mankind; is Believing He Has Limitations."

OfflineThe shroomy 1
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #9664865 - 01/23/09 11:52 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
  It's toxic to mushroom mycelium, so should not be used, especially with agar.  I see no wisdom in shocking your mycelium on a petri dish right at the time when you're trying to stimulate rapid growth.  Chemicals such as peroxide should not be used as a crutch to make up for sloppy sterile procedure.
RR

My success rate against bacteria on petri's is not acceptable.  I'm applying the best sterile procedures I can muster.  At this point in life, I need all the help I can get. :hulk: 

The Shroomy 1

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Another reason to not use peroxide? [Re: The shroomy 1]
    #9664890 - 01/23/09 11:58 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

I need all the help I can get. :hulk:

Gentamycin sulfate.  It's even autoclavable, and not toxic to mushroom mycelium.  Peroxide makes things worse by hampering your mycelium at the precise moment you need it to grow very fast.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinehunter4321
Cultivator (Training)
 User Gallery

#9665048 - 01/23/09 12:40 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

Gentamycin sulfate.  It's even autoclavable, and not toxic to mushroom mycelium.  Peroxide makes things worse by hampering your mycelium at the precise moment you need it to grow very fast.
RR

i did a quick search on Gentamycin sulfate, and it is a strong antibiotic used for eye infections..?? is this correct RR ? and how are you applying this to your dishes??? i would love to know..

--------------------

I have Golden Teacher prints for trade, 2nd generation of a very fast and dense strain,and PES Amazon prints, PM me if you are interested.

OfflineThe shroomy 1
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #9665394 - 01/23/09 01:41 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

RR

Thanks!  I'm on it!

The Shroomy 1

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck