Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Las Vegas
Recording studio questions
    #957731 - 10/13/02 06:40 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

We had a band meeting on Saturday. We decided that it is time to get in to the studio for some serious recording. We have been cutting demos out of the garage with an 8-track digital recorder with a fair measure of success. They sound OK but it'll never be studio quality. So off we go to start pricing studio time.

We are looking at getting good clean, final versions of 4 songs recorded. We are gonna start going in to locals studios this week and seeing what our options/pricings will be. Everyone else in the band has been in a studio before. I'm the only one with zero experience here. I am just curious what to expect. What are your experiences with studio recording? What is realistic to expect to pay? Is it harder/easier than playing in a live setting? How best should you prepare for it?

I can ask all these things of my bandmates, but I know we have some experienced musicians here and I would like some outside input. What advice do you have for me?

--------------------
You invented the wheel....You push the motherfucker!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMr_Puke
Suicidal Failure

Re: Recording studio questions [Re: ToTheSummit]
    #959020 - 10/14/02 03:22 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Studio prices range from place to place. Depends on what medium you are going to and if you are having it mastered at that studio. Usually you would cut a couple of songs, and take your data to a mastering enginneer in a mastering studio. I am not a musican but i do a lot of enginneering so i can tell you from my point of view. I would practice the songs you are planning to record so when it comes time to record you dont have to overdub tons of times and you can focus more of your time in mix'ing and FX's. But that is my opnion on it. But search around town to see what prices you can get and what kind of equipment they are using. Assuming you do some type of rock music you wont really want the digital aspect as opposed to doing some kind og hiphop or dance music which would all be coming from drum machines, samplers, etc. So find a place that will add the cost of cdr's/tape into the hourly rate so you dont get fucked with payment. Other then that you should be pretty cool. Listin to a lot of local cd's and pick a sound that you really like, and find out where they recorded it and who enginneer'ed, mixed, and tracked it. And try to get them for your session. Other then that you should be pretty cool, just practice your songs tons of times till you can play them perfect every single time and you should be golden  :grin:

InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
    #959247 - 10/14/02 06:56 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Depends on the professional level of the studio.

What you should expect out of a professional studio is someone who knows his way around the equipment in front of him. Someone who knows how to properly master the recording, someone who will ask you to do things over and over, split you into groups, have you do things alone, someone who seems to like to get things right but above all else, listens to you when you tell him that its right...

Then youve got people who only know half the potential of their recording instruments, someone who dont know how to maximize sound quality, someone who just lets you sit all together, play out a tune and records stuff in verry few takes. This can result in a pretty good CD but it wont be great.

Ask your studio guy if you can sit in on a session and watch him work, ask to hear CDs hes made for other bands. If your going to hire him then you should already know lots about how he works before you step into the studio.

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

InvisibleMetasyn
one

Loc: PNW
    #965716 - 10/16/02 11:17 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

The best advice I can give is to know your stuff. Have all the songs completely worked out down to a T. The engineers charge by the hour so it'll be much cheaper if you don't have to keep redoing stuff. Also, the actual mixing process takes much more time than playing. So if you have any ideas of how you want songs mixed (i.e. extra tracks, fading, panning, etc) it'll help to have them all worked out beforehand too. My band went into a studio two summers ago to record a 5 song demo CD and we were in there for 23 hours total and it cost around $800. But your experience will vary depending on the quality of the studio and of the engineer. Good luck man, it really is fun to hear your music get put together in a finished product.

OfflineMr_Puke
Suicidal Failure

#966056 - 10/16/02 01:57 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I love being restated, not once, but twice...

Edited by Mr_Puke (10/16/02 01:57 PM)

InvisibleMetasyn
one

Loc: PNW
Re: Recording studio questions [Re: Mr_Puke]
    #968793 - 10/17/02 11:25 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Just reinforcing your point :smile: 
It was a good one. 

OfflineMsPacMan
Stranger

Loc: Florida, USA
    #970138 - 10/17/02 05:44 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

hey. i started off by myself working with just my computer, i had recording programs and beat makers. the recording program has unlimited recordable tracks....its something to look into if you have a computer. get a mixer and hooke up a bunch of mikes to it.
but if you go into the studio and act very confident, you'll get a deal. be cool with the guys. they are always willing to help out. if not, shop around. good luck
de-=-

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies