Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offline4 ho cultivar
Transcending plains
Male User Gallery

Loc: Central, Oregon {represen...
Re: Massive cultivation [Re: PsychOfMSE]
    #9599930 - 01/13/09 05:39 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

wow this is dumb.

But i'll  add anyway.

you would need to somehow hydrate the straw. I doubt in the condidtion its in wet enough.    maybe like a week of garden hose sprinkler on top. o.k.

--------------------
:mushroom2::crazy2::mushroom2::crazy2::Patience be thy virtue:crazy2::mushroom2::crazy2::mushroom2:

Blurring the line between reality and dreams
Mr. Winkie says: "Procrastinators unite................................tommorrow!!:ganja:
G.Kahuna said: "Plus you get all the fun from taking a walk {and} shooting mycelium at cow droppings with a super soaker. Now beat that!":cuteshit:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePsychOfMSE
Out of the loop for too long
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Midwest
Re: Massive cultivation [Re: 4 ho cultivar]
    #9601117 - 01/13/09 12:20 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

4 ho cultivar said:
wow this is dumb.

But i'll  add anyway.

you would need to somehow hydrate the straw. I doubt in the condidtion its in wet enough.    maybe like a week of garden hose sprinkler on top. o.k.

It's not dumb, it's a fun idea.  Everyone takes this hobby so seriously.  What if he actually pulled it off and had a huge straw bail with shrooms covering every square inch?  That would be amazing!

I doubt it would work, but it's a fun idea!

--------------------
"I think it's impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves." - Orson Scott Card

Agar's Grain LC Tek <--- Never fool with honey water and contaminated LCs again!
Large_Dose's Ohmatic Monotub Tek
Monstermitch's LC/WBS/Monotub/Casing Tek

Offlineflip3084
greenteajunkie4life
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: North Augusta, SC
    #9601161 - 01/13/09 12:28 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

The mind is the only barrier.!!:mushroom2:

--------------------

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo

InvisibleSillicybin
Loc: Flag
Re: Massive cultivation [Re: flip3084]
    #9601610 - 01/13/09 01:52 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Even if you could pasteurize the whole thing, you cannot have living mycelium in something that large (at least not cubensis.)  If it were in favorable conditions for the outside, the middle of it would get so hot from metabolizing the straw that it would kill itself, and bacterial contamination would set in.  There's a certain limit to substrate depth.

EDIT: (sp.)

Edited by Sillicybin (01/13/09 02:08 PM)

Invisiblethehappymushroom
grappldox

Loc: Costa rica.
Re: Massive cultivation [Re: Sillicybin]
    #9601742 - 01/13/09 02:15 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

dont kno to much about mush but i kno farm foods lol. it probly wouldnt be possible.. i live on a horse farm and have a couple of these in the barn once they get wet they heat up like a mother fucker and get tons of mold and bacteria. So we usually have to peel layers off as it molds b4 giving it to horses.But once the bail is is doing it it wont stop and You have to peel it everyday just about. although "Sum" is not bad for a horse but a few pounds a day could make em really sick.i dont kno very much about mushrooms but they seem delicate and this mold grows rapidly(is like a whiteish black/brown color.) these bails are made for a couple days worth For BIG horse farms or kept indoors and peeled off(that feild is where they rolled it)as needed.

lol start unrolling it and roll it for about a  mile or till it stops and germinate one side and see how long it takes to get to the other.
mycelium races lmao.

--------------------
Disclaimer: I do not buy, sell, cultivate, manufacture, or use any illegal substance. Any postings I make on this forum are purely for entertainment purposes. Any pictures that I may post have been created by artificial means from images gathered from the internet and other sources. Any statements made should not be considered truthful.

Invisiblearp180
student of life
 User Gallery

Loc: Macondo
    #9601783 - 01/13/09 02:22 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

No, that is definitely straw.  It is sitting in a harvested wheat field.  You can't make hay with wheat. Also, straw is golden, while hay is green.  I don't see why everyone confuses the two.

--------------------
"Given the choice between the experience of pain and nothing, I would choose pain."  William Faulkner

"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
-A quote from the Judge in the novel Blood Meridian; or the Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthy

"Let there be light" My Quick Reference Guide to Lighting
My AutoMono (11oz First Flush)
My Monster Mushroom Mono (9.3oz First Flush)

Invisiblearp180
student of life
 User Gallery

Re: Massive cultivation [Re: thehappymushroom]
    #9601803 - 01/13/09 02:28 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

thehappymushroom said:
dont kno to much about mush but i kno farm foods lol. it probly wouldnt be possible.. i live on a horse farm and have a couple of these in the barn once they get wet they heat up like a mother fucker and get tons of mold and bacteria. 

Once again, you are talking about hay, not straw.  Animals do not consume straw, it is primarily used for bedding. The incident you explained occurs when a farmer doesn't allow his hay to properly dry before bailing, often they will salt these bails to prevent fires. You can burn your finger by sticking it inside one of these bails.  If anyone here has ever bailed hay, they no salting is not fun.  You are scratched from head to toe, and then salt get's in all you little cuts.

--------------------
"Given the choice between the experience of pain and nothing, I would choose pain."  William Faulkner

-A quote from the Judge in the novel Blood Meridian; or the Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthy

Invisiblethehappymushroom
grappldox

Loc: Costa rica.
Re: Massive cultivation [Re: arp180]
    #9601917 - 01/13/09 02:51 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

good point about the straw/hay thing.i dont kno much about mushrooms and cultivating them in straw but i wasnt thinking about straw and ive never bailed b4 so i wouldnt kno. but wen we buy the hay its dry and if its not covered right or not put inside it will go bad.
still cool concept. mycilium races would still be a sweet olympic sport.:stoned:

--------------------
Disclaimer: I do not buy, sell, cultivate, manufacture, or use any illegal substance. Any postings I make on this forum are purely for entertainment purposes. Any pictures that I may post have been created by artificial means from images gathered from the internet and other sources. Any statements made should not be considered truthful.

Offlinemushrume man
Sadis Factory
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Massive cultivation [Re: thehappymushroom]
    #9626766 - 01/17/09 03:15 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

i like the unrolling idea it would make it a lot easier for the mycelium to grow.

could this solve some problems
after hydrating it put 10-20 pieces of 2 in. PVC tubing, with holes drilled in them, through the bale to let the sub cool off and allow for gas exchange.
to inoculate just sprinkle the broken up chunks of grain spawn on the straw while its being rolled up so it would be evenly distributed. then hydrate and wait.:mushroomgrow:

i wasn't really considering doing this at first but it would be cool as shit if it worked

--------------------

Offlinerunningscared
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Massive cultivation [Re: mushrume man]
    #9626803 - 01/17/09 03:20 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I think a stock tank and a cowboy hot tub would fill the bill for pasteurization.  I have a cowboy hot tub and can speak from personal experience, you can get water boiling in them.  150 gallons of boiling water is quite awesome.

http://www.cowboyhottubs.com/

InvisibleRedBeerd
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dirty south....
Re: Massive cultivation [Re: runningscared]
    #9628018 - 01/17/09 07:12 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Here's a video of what I mentioned earlier about Stamets doing a whole pile of dirt....
Fast Forward to about 1:55

And this is the excerpt from Mycelium Running describing it
Text version

Paul was more excited about overcoming the petroleum products, but he also clearly created oyster hill

--------------------

Offlinemushrume man
Sadis Factory
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Massive cultivation [Re: RedBeerd]
    #9649122 - 01/20/09 10:05 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

anyone got pix of some huge grows?

--------------------

Invisiblearp180
student of life
 User Gallery

Re: Massive cultivation [Re: mushrume man]
    #9651190 - 01/21/09 10:17 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

mushrume man said:
anyone got pix of some huge grows?

Anyone feel like drawing attention to themselves?

--------------------

Invisibledoze
Stranger

Re: Massive cultivation [Re: arp180]
    #9651221 - 01/21/09 10:22 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

not particularly. (like i have any huge grows anyway :tongue: )

--------------------
But I'll bounce back for mine is a heart made of iron forged in the darkest smithy of despair! Alloyed with hate and melancholy! corroded by anger! oxidized by fury!

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate