Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleStarrider
Padawan

Loc: Between here and there
Gypsum?????
    #9643347 - 01/20/09 01:35 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I have read many posts about adding gypsum to the substrate or the casing mixture.I'm not sure which is the best method. I'm also not clear on what gypsum is. I have read that gypsum is dry wall. And I have seen it called Plaster of Paris, which one is it?

--------------------

"If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man at it is, infinite."

William Blake

Anything that I write is for fun only. I am creating fiction for the pleasure of my readers.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleIcky
Chrome Gnome
Male
Loc: Bacon Road
Re: Gypsum????? [Re: Starrider]
    #9643459 - 01/20/09 02:09 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Gypsum, CaSO4, Calcium Sulfate, Drywall, Plaster of paris ect... all the same

OfflineVermonster420
I gotta have more cowbell !
 User Gallery

Loc: Standin' On the Moon
Re: Gypsum????? [Re: Icky]
    #9643556 - 01/20/09 02:44 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Calcium Carbonate in some regards...but again, all the same by a different name depending on the intended use.  You can add a tblspoon of it to your grains before PC-ing to prevent stickyness.  It also stabilizes the PH in casing layers.

--------------------
To thine own self be true.
That which does not kill me makes me stronger.
Ass...it's the NEW pussy!
"Gungah-DeGungah"

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #9643684 - 01/20/09 03:45 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Starrider said:
I have read many posts about adding gypsum to the substrate or the casing mixture.I'm not sure which is the best method. I'm also not clear on what gypsum is. I have read that gypsum is dry wall. And I have seen it called Plaster of Paris, which one is it?

Gypsum is CaSO4:2H2O. That is Calcium Sulfate dihydrate. That basically means that it is  crystal with two water molecules per Calcium Sulphate molecule in it.

Industrially, we can heat gypsum to make it lose this water. In this way we can obtain either anhydrous (no water) calcium sulphate or hemihydrate calcium sulphate("half" the water)

Dihydrate = Gypsum
Hemihydrate = Plaster of Paris
Anhydrous = Some dissecants such as drierite.

The only important thing to know is that when either of the last two kinds of calcium sulphate are mixed with water they quickly bond with water and set hard, changing into the dihydrate form (aka Gypsum).

That is why drywall, which will have been made from plaster and water and put in molds, once dry is actually just a big sheet of gypsum.

--------------------
Newcomers guide-----> For all things shroomy

Offlinemerzdiesler
Peasant Laborer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Arizona
Re: Gypsum????? [Re: Vermonster420]
    #9643695 - 01/20/09 03:52 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

If you buy it at Lowes, Home Depot or WalMart, they sell it in two grades. You can either buy Agricultural grade or masonry grade. Obviously you want to go for the agricultural grade. I am not sure that there is much of a difference, but that is always the recommendation. I have seen masonry grade gypsum that comes complete with sand and rocks and other useless shit in it. I bought a 40 pound bag of agricultural gypsum from walmart for under $4. It never hurts to have some on hand. I use it in my grains and it works nicely. It also has sulfur and calcium in there and also lends some mineral benefits to your fruits.

--------------------

We're having tons of fucking fun now, aren't we boys and girls???

OfflineLaden
Oi81
Male User Gallery

Loc: somewhere in va
Re: Gypsum????? [Re: merzdiesler]
    #9643734 - 01/20/09 04:22 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

If you go the drywall method as i did cause i couldn't find it anywhere, just get sheetrock and cut it up into 1'x 1' pieces, and puta couple  into like 3 layers of thick trash bags then put it on your porch and take a hammer and a piece of wood and crush it. One 1x1 piece will make enough to use in countless casing layers.

--------------------
"I believe in a long, prolonged derangement of the senses to attain the unknown. Our pale reasoning hides the infinite from us."
jim:mushroom2::crazy::mushroom2:

OfflineVaelu
Strange Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sin City
Re: Gypsum????? [Re: Laden]
    #9643744 - 01/20/09 04:29 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

It's that stuff that you used to make sculptures out of in kindergarten.  "OK everybody!  Let's make our handprint in the plaster of paris.  Then, when it gets hard we will paint it and give it to daddy as a father's day present!  Oh... Billy, Kim, Jessica, Martin, and Joey don't have a daddy... you can give it to your grandpa or uncle or mommy's special friend!"

--------------------
"When the student is ready the teacher appears..."

Offlinemerzdiesler
Peasant Laborer
Male User Gallery

Re: Gypsum????? [Re: Vaelu]
    #9643749 - 01/20/09 04:32 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Vaelu said:
It's that stuff that you used to make sculptures out of in kindergarten.  "OK everybody!  Let's make our handprint in the plaster of paris.  Then, when it gets hard we will paint it and give it to daddy as a father's day present!  Oh... Billy, Kim, Jessica, Martin, and Joey don't have a daddy... you can give it to your grandpa or uncle or mommy's special friend!"

Hilarious. I remember that. I also remember it didn't taste as good as paste.

--------------------

OfflineVaelu
Strange Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Gypsum????? [Re: merzdiesler]
    #9643807 - 01/20/09 05:12 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

merzdiesler said:
Quote:

Vaelu said:

Hilarious. I remember that. I also remember it didn't taste as good as paste.

Kindergarten teachers are the best.  They are always so excited about everything... but this is getting a bit off topic.  I know that for my first grow (will be happening soon) I'm going to use plaster of paris for my gypsum.  than I am going to make a sculpture with the remainder during my first trip of homegrown shrooms.

--------------------

OfflineBasement Boy
Only two degrees of separation
 User Gallery

#9644051 - 01/20/09 07:07 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

why do you think that they kindergarten teachers always had so much of this on hand and were so much fun? its because they grow shrooms and are tripping balls and hanging out with a bunch of little kids all day. Sounds like a fun job. except for the kids that can't wipe their own butt/

--------------------
Don't Panic It's Organic :mushroom2:

OfflineVaelu
Strange Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Gypsum????? [Re: Basement Boy]
    #9644196 - 01/20/09 07:39 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Further off topic... my first job teaching was actually day care... there was this one boy, about 4 years old.  I had to take him to the bathroom (normally i would have an assistant to help in this field).  It turned out that my trip to the bathroom with this kid was his first time to pee standing up.  he pulled his trousers to his ankles, but didn't realize he had to use his hand to aim it.  Long story short, he pissed straight down into his pants.  I couldn't laugh at the time, and I had to help him change into new underwear/pants, but that is a memory that will stick with me for a lifetime. 

We never did get to use plaster of paris at that school, but we did get to make magic mud out of corn starch and water.

--------------------

OfflineiMtRiPpIn
Lookin' fer Luv
 User Gallery

#9644282 - 01/20/09 08:07 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

You can buy gypsum from Mycopath.

--------------------

InvisibleStarrider
Padawan

Loc: Between here and there
Re: Gypsum????? [Re: iMtRiPpIn]
    #9645393 - 01/20/09 12:09 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

thanks so much for the comments. Liked the kindergarten stuff and yes I too made that stupid hand print. I tasted the Elmer's glue. That tasted nasty.

--------------------

"If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man at it is, infinite."

William Blake

Anything that I write is for fun only. I am creating fiction for the pleasure of my readers.

Offlinemerzdiesler
Peasant Laborer
Male User Gallery

#9650347 - 01/21/09 05:23 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

No, you can't eat the elmer's glue. That shit tastes exactly like what its made of, cow feet. You have to eat the paste that comes in the big containers. Ever wonder why its mint flavor, if you aren't supposed to eat it? One shittly thing about the kindergarten, my teacher was my grandma.

Anyway, plaster of paris may work. Something tells me it is lacking something that is otherwise contained in agricultural gypsum. If you buy plaster of paris or masonry gypsum it is brilliant white, whereas ag gypsum is brown. I don't know what the difference in chemical composition is, if any, but ag gypsum is really cheap. They have it at Lowes, WalMart, Homes Depot and about a dozen other farm and garden supply stores.

But in the moving words of Lamar Burton from Reading Rainbow, "Don't take my word for it"

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix