Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineLaCasta
Beyond Good andEvil

Loc: Chicago
Military being sent to DC
    #964220 - 10/15/02 10:34 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Military Joins Hunt for Washington Sniper
Updated 9:38 PM ET October 15, 2002

By Charles Aldinger

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. military agreed on Tuesday to help hunt for a sniper who has been terrorizing the Washington area as police said new evidence gleaned from the latest murder could help them catch the serial killer.

A senior defense official told Reuters that Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld had agreed to provide U.S. military surveillance aircraft and crews to help hunt for the killer whose latest victim was shot dead on Monday while loading her car with shopping bags.

The U.S. military is forbidden by law to provide police duties domestically but the defense official, who asked not to be identified, said Rumsfeld had agreed to a request to provide the military aid.

The official declined to be more specific and stressed that the military would not be directly involved in police work and would be under the supervision of civilian law enforcement.

"We are trying to give as little information as possible to the person on the ground," the official said.

But he added that the surveillance aircraft would be manned with military crews and would be brought in from outside the Washington area which includes parts of Maryland and Virginia.

FBI employee Linda Franklin, 47, was killed in front of her husband by a single shot to the head late on Monday in the parking lot of a Home Depot hardware store in Falls Church, Virginia, west of Washington.

"There was some additional information we were able to get from last night's case and I am confident that ultimately that information is going to lead to an arrest in this case," Fairfax County, Virginia, Police Chief Thomas Manger told a news briefing.

Charles Moose, the police chief of Montgomery County in neighboring Maryland, said Franklin, an FBI intelligence analyst, was not involved in the sniper investigation and was therefore considered yet another random victim.

For the 11th time in less than two weeks, the gunman eluded authorities in spite of the quick deployment of dozens of federal, state and local law enforcement agents who shut down major arteries around the scene and searched vehicles.

The sniper's random attacks have spread fear in a wide area around Washington since he went on a 15-hour shooting spree on Oct. 2 and Oct. 3, killing five people in the suburban Maryland neighborhoods, northwest of the U.S. capital, and one in Washington proper.

Two others have been shot dead in the city's southwestern suburbs in Virginia.

The sniper has also wounded two people: a 13-year-old schoolboy in Bowie, Maryland, northeast of Washington, and a woman in Fredericksburg, Virginia, to the south.

SPREADING FEAR AND ALARM

As the toll has mounted, fear and alarm have spread across the area with schools keeping students indoors, football games canceled and residents thinking twice before making routine trips to shopping malls or gasoline stations.

Police said they were not yet ready to give out information from witnesses on the license plate of the vehicle, which could either be a light-colored Chevrolet Astro van or a Ford Econoline van, believed to be the gunman's getaway vehicle.

Local media have variously reported that the van leaving the busy suburban shopping center, about seven miles west of Washington, after Monday's killing had Maryland or Virginia plates.

Police said the van has a silver ladder rack on the top, a detail consistent with the description of the vehicle sought after Friday's killing of a man in Virginia, and a malfunctioning left tail light.

They could not confirm local news reports that some witnesses had seen the killer get out of the van to fire and then get back in.

Police released composite pictures of two white vans similar to the ones being sought, but they have so far held back from releasing a composite of the killer.

The sniper, who uses a high-velocity rifle to pick off random victims and kill them with a hallmark single bullet, has so far eluded a massive hunt by law enforcement agencies, including the FBI, with some help from the CIA.

An FBI spokesman declined to discuss any specific investigative steps being taken, but said any help from the military would be along the lines of checking or searching military records and databases for individuals with certain training, for example.

FBI Director Robert Mueller said the agency had 400 agents working on the case, including teams of new agents in training who were working a toll-free hotline.

The CIA, at the request of law enforcement agencies, has been supplying bomb-sniffing dogs, a spokesman said. The dogs can sniff out ammunition and explosives in the sniper hunt.

As in Friday's attack, at a gasoline station in Spotsylvania County, Virginia, authorities responded quickly on Monday, closing major traffic arteries for hours as police converged on the shopping mall.

Helicopters shone high-intensity lights over woods and neighborhoods in the area, which is a mixture of strip shopping centers, single family homes and apartment buildings.

But Manger said there were so many ways to leave the suburban center that it was difficult for police to find the gunman.

Physical evidence in the cases has also been scant, with one taunting clue apparently left by the shooter near where the young boy was shot: A Tarot "Death" card with "Dear Policeman, I am God" scrawled on the back.

A $500,000 reward is offered for information leading to the sniper's capture.

--------------------

"Memories of high speeds when the cops crash, As I laugh pushin the gas while my glocks blast" -RIP Tupac

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleFrog31337
Stranger

Loc: Midwest, US
Re: Military being sent to DC [Re: LaCasta]
    #965624 - 10/16/02 12:24 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I hope they catch him soon!  I am worried about the precedence that this might set.  Why not use military surveillance equipment to catch bank robbers, speeders, drug users?  Another step towards 1984.  :ooo:

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Military being sent to DC [Re: Frog31337]
    #965660 - 10/16/02 12:42 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

In reply to:

Why not use military surveillance equipment to catch bank robbers, speeders, drug users? Another step towards 1984.

Patience, it's coming, it's coming... can you hear the war drums? Can you feel yourself uncontrollably drifting off to sleep to their pounding rythm, knowing that a nightmare awaits from which you may never wake up?

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Edited by Evolving (10/16/02 01:00 PM)

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
Re: Military being sent to DC [Re: Evolving]
    #965727 - 10/16/02 01:27 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

i have a bad feeling that this sniper wack job is going to ruin it for us law abiding gun owners.....i see rifle registration..oh lord

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Re: Military being sent to DC [Re: Innvertigo]
    #965732 - 10/16/02 01:33 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

My hunch is that the sniper team is composed of Islamic terrorists.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
    #965734 - 10/16/02 01:35 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

That would be highly unlikely...if that was the case why wouldn't they be knocking off well known figures?

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Re: Military being sent to DC [Re: Rono]
    #965738 - 10/16/02 01:40 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

The point is to terrorize. If you knock off some leaders, you will galvinize the people behind their leaders. The purpose is to confuse, intimidate, frighten and paralyze the populace. Isn't that what terrorism is all about?

--------------------

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#965748 - 10/16/02 01:47 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

i think that would be too easy....i still say it's some disgruntled white guy.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
    #965749 - 10/16/02 01:47 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

That's a valid point, but personally I doubt it is the work of foreign "terrorists"....it would just as plausible to think that the CIA is orchestrating it all to keep peoples minds off of the Iraq issue, and to get the military involved in public affairs... (and no, that's not what I think is going on...yet :wink:)

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

Edited by Rono (10/16/02 01:48 PM)

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

#965774 - 10/16/02 02:04 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Don't go blaming white people.

I was listening to a military sniper expert on T.V. this morning and he believes that there are two people involved because the way the operations are being pulled off.
There have been reports of swarthy looking fellows at the scene ...

Robert Young, a Washington construction worker, was among witnesses to Monday night's shooting who returned to the shopping center Tuesday to talk with police. He said he heard a muffled gunshot and saw a white van.

Young said as he backed his truck out of his parking spot, a white Astro van with two men inside tried to turn into his lane. He said the driver appeared very agitated to find his way blocked and instead drove by a neighboring restaurant and out of sight.

Young described the driver as a short man of slight build who appeared to be Middle Eastern. "I got a good look at the guy," he said.

The driver "seemed to be excessively irritated because he couldn't pull into my lane," he said. "I thought this fool was going to want to get out of the van and duke or something. But he didn't. He kept on going."
abcnews.com

This is the second such report, at an earlier sniping incident there was a report of two 'hispanic' looking men.

--------------------

Edited by Evolving (10/16/02 02:05 PM)

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#965784 - 10/16/02 02:08 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

while i think you make great points and your hypothesis is educated it's still just that...a hypothesis...

I still say it's a cracker........

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

#965847 - 10/16/02 02:41 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

The behavior patterns don't match that of previous nutcases who went on shooting rampages (not to say that it couldn't be a lone nutcase). One well placed shot, then leaving the scene doesn't match postal worker patterns. It would seem there is a lookout/driver and the actual sniper.

--------------------

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#965934 - 10/16/02 03:09 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

it's a tad similar to the Zodiac killer (the random portion) but without the kooky notes

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Edited by Innvertigo (10/16/02 03:10 PM)

OfflineLaCasta
Beyond Good andEvil

#965938 - 10/16/02 03:11 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

>swarthy looking fellows at the scene ...

Thats a new way to say middle eastern people to me

--------------------

"Memories of high speeds when the cops crash, As I laugh pushin the gas while my glocks blast" -RIP Tupac

OfflineLaCasta
Beyond Good andEvil

#965948 - 10/16/02 03:15 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

>without the kooky notes

Good point. The note found at the scene does not fit into the context of an Islamic terrorist. He thinks he is one who is fighting directly for god's pleasure and thinks of his work as a truly holy matter. So to say "I am God" would be blasphemous to them, and makes me think it is not the work of muslims.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
    #968686 - 10/17/02 12:41 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I think its a disgruntled white guy as well.
He messed up bad the last shooting.. shot the lady from across the same parking lot.. in a fucking crowded ass area at peak hours... right up the street from me  :ooo:
Several people saw him shoot, but their descriptions are different, some say olive-complexion.. some say white.. 

--------------------

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: Military being sent to DC [Re: Shroomism]
    #968697 - 10/17/02 12:46 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

i don't think those witnesses saw a thing..to be honest.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

InvisiblePeaceful_Nomad
On the Path ofthe Feather
 User Gallery

Loc: Sometimes Kansas - Maybe ...
    #971748 - 10/18/02 08:49 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

In reply to:

The purpose is to confuse, intimidate, frighten and paralyze

The skin color or ethnic background of the "sniper" has NOTHING
to do with the fact that his actions ARE acts of terrorism.

On the battlefield, snipers are used to not only take out high profile
targets, but are also used to slow down the enemy and tie up a vast
amount of resources in order to attempt to neutralize the threat.

Has anybody considered this sniper may be a diversionary tactic of
something much bigger? It is VERY possible the military is being
used to seek out terrorist movements in and around the DC area.

The military is not going to reveal it's true mission to the media for two
reasons ~ To avoid widespread panic and paranoia among the masses
and to have a better chance of discovering much bigger terrorist activities
going on in the area.

With several branches of law enforcement tying up their resources in hopes
of finding the sniper, terrorists within the area can move about more freely
and carry out their plans without fear of being detected.

Evolving has made some valid points that should not be dismissed as "some
angry white guy" with a grudge. Once again, terrorism is not defined by
nationality or personal doctrine. Terrorism is defined by the act being committed!

Peace to Everyone,

Peaceful Nomad

--------------------

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Military being sent to DC [Re: Peaceful_Nomad]
    #972817 - 10/18/02 06:47 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Hey, ever think the sniper(s) could be federal agents? I mean, this is amazing that the millitary/police cant find them. Could just be shooting out of a police car, or in uniform, noone would ever know :wink:

InvisiblePeaceful_Nomad
On the Path ofthe Feather
 User Gallery

Loc: Sometimes Kansas - Maybe ...
Re: Military being sent to DC [Re: angryshroom]
    #972883 - 10/18/02 07:26 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Kind of off topic... Have you considered the bombing in
Bali to be the work of our own CIA or US "Black Ops"?

George Bush is so set on escalating the war with Iraq, in
order to secure his Presidential position (during the time of
active war, the President [Commander in Chief of the Armed
Forces] can suspend Presidential elections.

It is obvious that Bush and his Cabinet (made up of Oil Cronies)
want to control the oil fields of Iraq, and he and his henchmen
will stop at nothing to fulfill their mission of Mid-East domination.

Peace to Everyone,

Peaceful Nomad

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion