Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebringthepain
Stranger
 User Gallery

Costa Rican grow
    #9640712 - 01/19/09 07:10 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

since everybody got the strain Cr. I decided to grow it also. Its good to resist cont. so you dont need a pressure cooker.

so i used standard regular jars sprayed the inside with industrial bleach then dishwasher soap and warm water same with lids. i used corn substrate..soaked in water for 24 hours, then boiled for an hour on high... put the corn in the jars and into a large pot to steam cook for an hour.

to inco. i used a large clear trash bag for a "glovebox" i used the alcohol wrap to sterilize the needle.. and thats as far as sterile i got to.....

so i wait and wait and wait... biting my nails like hell. and after five days the first signs of mycelia in one jar... yay.

i used a larger jar with a fluorescent light the spiral ones with tinfoil over it for no light.. and put that in the jar i placed this jar in the center and my substrate jars around this and covered this with two dark towels...

but i firstly kept the jars at a temp of 65f after this had slim results in added my homemade heater and brought the heat up to 75f which is a great temp it took 35 hours after the raise in heat for the mycelia to form... eh? nice

Ill keep all you posted about what goes on..this my first grow its easy but people make it out to be so crazy!!

i"ll try to post pics sometime

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBlackPeace
Self proclaimed CEO
Male

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Costa Rican grow [Re: bringthepain]
    #9640819 - 01/19/09 07:24 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

bringthepain said:
Its good to resist cont. so you dont need a pressure cooker.

impossible. Read the FAQ!  or if i'm wrong i'm out of the hobby!
Don't take it personally.

--------------------

Edited by BlackPeace (01/19/09 07:25 PM)

Offlinebringthepain
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Costa Rican grow [Re: BlackPeace]
    #9640879 - 01/19/09 07:31 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

how come there other people here who grew costa ricans with corn without a pc. and it contaminated one jar... you dont need one..but it's better

Offlinebigboomz
tripper
Loc: In a state of euphoria
    #9642638 - 01/19/09 11:17 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

i didn't use a PC for my Costa Ricans not one jar contam. colonized fast on whole brown rice but wont pin for shit 3 weeks in f/c and counting!!! let me know how it goes for you bro

--------------------
BIGGIE MOTHA FUCKEN BOOMZ

InvisibleIcky
Chrome Gnome
Male
Loc: Bacon Road
Re: Costa Rican grow *DELETED* [Re: bigboomz]
    #9642898 - 01/19/09 11:56 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Post deleted by Icky

Reason for deletion: .

Offlinenewmodel
The Observer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Around the 10,000 lakes.
Re: Costa Rican grow [Re: Icky]
    #9642940 - 01/20/09 12:05 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Hmm....mmm
No PC......, I will not say it's impossible but I would say that it's not probable or wise but rather lucky that you have (So far, potentially...that you know of) avoided contamination.

With that said, props to you. But given the time expenditure of this hobby I do not think I could commit the time unless I took the necessary precaution that would increase my success rate. PC'ing your jars is the foundation for the rest of the cultivation process. I don't know if I could build my house on a foundation that didn't PC....so to speak.

But good luck, pics would be nice.

Peace,

I.

--------------------
A man that comes to the door is never quite the same man who went out.

Freedom is something that dies unless it's used

Offlinerunningscared
Stranger
 User Gallery

#9643024 - 01/20/09 12:21 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I'm not gonna believe this stuff.

I'm new but have read alot.  They say a cube is a cube. You may have just been lucky.  Besides, I think I read RR once say that even in an open environment you will have around a 50% success rate inoculating jars.

InvisibleIcky
Chrome Gnome
Male
Re: Costa Rican grow *DELETED* *DELETED* [Re: runningscared]
    #9643064 - 01/20/09 12:32 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Post deleted by Icky

Offlinebigboomz
tripper
    #9643148 - 01/20/09 12:51 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

mine smell like mushrooms no contam. i didnt use a pc and i didnt lose one jar to contam. dont beleave me check out my grow. i wouldnt lie!!!

--------------------

InvisibleIcky
Chrome Gnome
Male
Re: Costa Rican grow *DELETED* [Re: bigboomz]
    #9643311 - 01/20/09 01:25 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Post deleted by Icky

Edited by Icky (01/20/09 01:47 AM)

Offlinebigboomz
tripper
    #9643319 - 01/20/09 01:27 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

once did 10 jars didnt loose one!!!!!!! so every rip. used whole brown rice.

--------------------

Edited by bigboomz (01/20/09 01:30 AM)

OfflineICdeadPeople
Fungi Fun Guy

Loc: sometimes MARS...
Re: Costa Rican grow [Re: bigboomz]
    #9643345 - 01/20/09 01:34 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

bigboomz said:
i didn't use a PC for my Costa Ricans not one jar contam. colonized fast on whole brown rice but wont pin for shit 3 weeks in f/c and counting!!! let me know how it goes for you bro

DUDE,
Quote:

bigboomz said:
mine smell like mushrooms no contam. i didnt use a pc and i didnt lose one jar to contam. dont beleave me check out my grow. i wouldnt lie!!!

brown rice, sounds a little pf-ish where u dont need a pc.  U will not succeed skipping pc'ing rye or wbs or other grains.  The shit inside those grains requires higher temps than boiling to kill. GL tho, i guarantee ure going to spend more money on shit u contaminated that u would buying a pc

--------------------
I'm ready to go on a GREAT adventure... Sitting here on the couch, eating my favorite snack :mushroom2:

InvisibleIcky
Chrome Gnome
Male
Re: Costa Rican grow *DELETED* [Re: ICdeadPeople]
    #9643373 - 01/20/09 01:42 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Post deleted by Icky

OfflineICdeadPeople
Fungi Fun Guy

Loc: sometimes MARS...
    #9645185 - 01/20/09 11:24 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

2 different people, if u c my quote and yours, different names.

--------------------
I'm ready to go on a GREAT adventure... Sitting here on the couch, eating my favorite snack :mushroom2:

Offlinebringthepain
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Costa Rican grow [Re: ICdeadPeople]
    #9645290 - 01/20/09 11:47 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

we'll just have to wait and see how my grows comes..
todays been day 6 or 7 cant remember and the mycelia is going crazy all over my corns it'll be done soon hopefully if nothing goes wrong.

the temp increase def. helped

Offlinebigboomz
tripper
    #9648769 - 01/20/09 09:07 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

since when was rice not a grain?

--------------------

Offlineronjohn7779
Stranger

#9649072 - 01/20/09 09:55 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

bringthepain it sounds like you have a solid game plan on sucess. All new users should learn off your example !:congrats:

:ilold:

--------------------
"Lennox Lewis, I'm coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!" An American Hero Iron Mike!

Edited by ronjohn7779 (01/20/09 10:14 PM)

Offlineronjohn7779
Stranger

Re: Costa Rican grow [Re: ronjohn7779]
    #9649136 - 01/20/09 10:07 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

KeyMaster said:
Quote:

I read RR once say that even in an open environment you will have around a 50% success rate inoculating jars.

I agree, and wouldn't risk my left nut in a coin toss.

Be sterile when preparing grains (use a PC), use a glove box or flow hood when inoculating jars or working with agar.

Don't waste your time and money by cutting corners in those areas.

It can't be a 50% success/failure rate. I will say your rate of failure would most likely be slightly higher when injecting without a glove box or a flow hood.

I just recently had a botched batch of BRF cakes. I ran out of the micropore tape I usually used and bought a different kind of tape because I couldn't find micropore tape anywhere near me. Basically I settled on surgical tape...unfortunately surgical tape melts in a PC (micropore doesn't) so my whole batch had melted plastic in them. Since the batch was already fucked, I ended up just inject those cakes in the open air and now I have 12 nearly fully colonized super healthy cultures on my hands. Unless I some how figured out a way to beat the law of large numbers...I'm going to have to say that a 50/50 success/failure rate is bunk. If it really was even close to 50/50 then at least one of my cakes would be contaminated now (flip a coin multiple times, having it land on heads all 12 times will most likely never happen). Granted this is a small sample, but something should have contamed. I bet the difference in injecting with a glove box and the open air would be very minor at most. I'm not saying I wouldn't recommend not using a glove box (I use one all the time), it just that its effectiveness as a contaminate prevention must be really small. I guess it blocks floating dust particles from getting in the injection holes...but then again there is dust in a glove box too.

Edited by ronjohn7779 (01/20/09 10:11 PM)

InvisibleMushHunter08
Mycological Pupil
Male

Loc: B.F.E
    #9649150 - 01/20/09 10:09 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

bringthepain said:
how come there other people here who grew costa ricans with corn without a pc. and it contaminated one jar... you dont need one..but it's better

I want to see the posts where you saw this.

--------------------
"The road to excess leads to the palace of wisdom...for we never know what is enough until we know what is more than enough."
-William Blake-

The most simple method of growing mushrooms:
www.mushroomvideos.com

MultiSync's lazy bastard print/syringe guide

Offlinebringthepain
Stranger
 User Gallery

#9655785 - 01/21/09 10:45 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

open air is where most people fail with there contamination..and for everyone saying they read this and that, and use that for there input well that's great for you but dont go around storytelling if you havent tried it for yourself..

Offlinebringthepain
Stranger
 User Gallery

#9660359 - 01/22/09 05:24 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

http://

my jars

this is with mycelia forming but after shake you can kinda see it you know what to look for

Offlinebringthepain
Stranger
 User Gallery

#9662274 - 01/22/09 10:08 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

you guys are all fucking loserz

InvisibleShr00mZ
Space Invader

#9662331 - 01/22/09 10:21 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

you have to pressure cook grains.. they will colonize but they're gunna be contamed. I do innoculations in open air. I never get contams. I use alot of lysol.... and dont breathe alot but thats me. I dont want to work in a tiny ass glove box. Preparing other things like syringes... u need a glovebox. Open air inoculations arent recommended because if you use a glovebox you should have 100% success rate.

--------------------

Offlinebringthepain
Stranger
 User Gallery

#9662479 - 01/22/09 10:50 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
Trusted Cultivator
    #9662546 - 01/22/09 11:03 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

"Fractional sterilization", yeah. Such an up-to-date tek.
It's people like you who caused me to go into a hissy fit yesterday. I DON'T WANT TO READ THIS BUNK ANYMORE. All you n00bs lecturing experienced growers how to grow without applying sterile techniques... IT IS GETTING ON MY TITS!

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

Offlinelibertaire
liberator
Male

Re: Costa Rican grow [Re: German Kahuna]
    #9662606 - 01/22/09 11:15 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I don't really understand why fractional sterilization is looked down upon.  It's a time tested method that saves people money.  Yes it takes extra time, but there's no reason to blast something that appears had quite a bit of success in some cases. 

Yes, it should not be used by stupid noobs, but adventurous noobs I think should be allowed to try different things, especially really old and common knowledge different things, without getting shit from the more experienced.  Just because you didn't do it that way your first time doesn't mean it's not right.

Offlineronjohn7779
Stranger

Re: Costa Rican grow [Re: libertaire]
    #9663793 - 01/23/09 07:39 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

This is the only message board I know of where people that are 3-4 months old on this board call other people noobs...

Also if the OP wants to fuck around and do weird shit with his grow. Let him. If it works out for him well great. If he ends up sinking like the titanic then he learned a valuable lesson.

--------------------
"Lennox Lewis, I'm coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!" An American Hero Iron Mike!

Offlinebigboomz
tripper
    #9720377 - 02/01/09 11:18 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

did your costa ricans ever fruit?

--------------------

Offlinethebamaking
Stranger
    #10665630 - 07/12/09 08:45 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

i am a noob, first of all, and i have been working on a relatively low budget. i am just going to to say that i have had a great success rate with brf cakes only steam sterilizing them, probably about 70-80% non contam but saying that this strain is specifically more resistant to it is just foolish. with that being said, i have cultivated costa ricans from sporeworks very succesfully without a pressure cooker, but don't expect a contam-free set of jars. also there has been no problem at all with the pinning and fruiting. from all the strains ive cultivated these are the hardest to fuck up besides equadorians. you should see prolific pinning within a week in the f/c if your conditions are right. havent cased this strain yet though so cant say anything on that note. order this strain from sporeworks, you wont be sorry.

--------------------
Treeeeeeeez of Liiiiiiiiife:mushroom2:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale