Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDr. Awesome
Awesomeologist

Folding@home Statistics
what can effect mycelium growth cottony vs rhizomorphic???
    #9628784 - 01/17/09 10:02 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I'm about a week and a half into my first ever batch of PF style cakes.  i bought a syringe form a local hemp shop, and i am uncertain of the strain. so far i have inoculated 19, 1/2 quart or half pint, they are pretty small jars.  im sure i have the smaller of the two.  they are incubating in a tub in tub incubator between 83 and 86, and growth has really picked up, some much more than others, and all but 2 jars are showing great signs of growth, and so far no sign of contam anywhere :laugh:

however, im not seeing any rhizomorphic mycelium, every single jar has some fairly aggressive cottony mycelium tho.  some are even very near ready to birth. i give it maybe 2 more days for some.  i was wondering if there are certain environmental factors, (temp, moisture, substrate etc) that could possibly effect the type of growth i am seeing.  i was expecting to see a bit of both.  while i am very pleased to see that my sterile technique was sufficient, i am concerned that there maybe something i am doing wrong that is effecting the type of growth i see. 

also, i used organic dark rye flour to replace BRF in the recipe, im not sure if that will be relevant, since i read that it can be used as a substitute on a 1:1 ratio it doesnt mix up and stay quite as fluffy as how ive seen the jars prepared with BRF in some videos.

am i doing something wrong or is the type of growth all up to genetics, and im just not as fortunate this time around?

here is a pic of 1 of the jars, they are all showing similar cottony growth.

--------------------
Like the time I took the ferry to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe so I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on them. Give me five bees for a quarter you'd say. Now where were we, oh ya. The important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDr. Awesome
Awesomeologist

Folding@home Statistics
Re: what can effect mycelium growth cottony vs rhizomorphic??? [Re: Dr. Awesome]
    #9628794 - 01/17/09 10:05 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------
Like the time I took the ferry to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe so I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on them. Give me five bees for a quarter you'd say. Now where were we, oh ya. The important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones.

Invisibleshroomophile
ShroomitusFidelis
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: what can effect mycelium growth cottony vs rhizomorphic??? [Re: Dr. Awesome]
    #9628805 - 01/17/09 10:08 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Could be strain,could be temps.I would lower the temps somewhat as the center of the cake can get several degrees warmer.

--------------------
Once the mighty oak,was a nut who held his ground.

OfflineDr. Awesome
Awesomeologist

Folding@home Statistics
Re: what can effect mycelium growth cottony vs rhizomorphic??? [Re: shroomophile]
    #9628944 - 01/17/09 10:38 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

thanks for the feedback :smile:.  i really wish i knew what strain i received,  but i just ordered 3 strains through spores101.ca so i will have that issue covered for the next run. i'll be taking your advice and lowering the temp down a couple degrees. thank you :laugh:

--------------------

Invisiblenw_shroomy
NoN-stranger
 User Gallery

#9629446 - 01/18/09 12:39 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Good luck on getting good spores from spore101. I see Post's on here almost daily of ppl's spores not germinating.
You really should lower your temps to around 76f as at high temps I notice the substrate seems to dry out faster and they could stall.
Also at higher temperatures, contams seem to thrive more than mycelium from what Ive read.

--------------------
Spawn Ratio Calculator
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/7803673#7803673
I only grow edibles.Any info I give ONLY applies to gourmet mushrooms.

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greener Pastures
Trusted Cultivator
Re: what can effect mycelium growth cottony vs rhizomorphic??? [Re: nw_shroomy]
    #9629550 - 01/18/09 01:06 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Lower those temps, growth stalls out over 83f and remember, jars produce some of their own internal heat.  I wouldn't recommend incubating over 75f.

I've also noticed that when I grow on WBS I don't see much rhizo - just the cottony stuff.  But once I spawn that to a bulk sub, it goes wild with rhizo.  So that leads me to believe that the substrate does have an effect. 

I've used ground wbs, ground rye and ground brown rice and it all seems to be about the same in the end.

--------------------
Spongiform's Plastic Tek - An Alternative to Glass
Spongi's PF Block Tek & Automated Shotgun Project.

OfflineDr. Awesome
Awesomeologist

Folding@home Statistics
Re: what can effect mycelium growth cottony vs rhizomorphic??? [Re: Spongiform]
    #9629661 - 01/18/09 01:28 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

ive personally found the growth be be incredibly fast in these jars when the ambient temp inside the incubator is between 83 and 86. maybe i will take a few of the really good jars out and see how well they do in a small box with nothing but their own heat to incubate them.  i have already lowered the temp on the heater a bit, it doesnt really have a readout out on it so it is trial an error until i get it just right.

i love that plastic tek post, i think i will try that, especially since i already have an assload of those plastic containers in a drawer, and canning jars seem to be impossible for me to find right now since they are not in season, and i cant find a place that sells them year round.

i really appreciate the feedback guys :laugh:  it's wonderful that this is such a supportive community :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineDr. Awesome
Awesomeologist

Folding@home Statistics
    #9639539 - 01/19/09 04:47 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

maybe it was the drop in incubator temp, (78ish now)  but one of the jars just took off with rhizo  from one spot and seems quite aggressive :laugh:  i didnt check all the jars, i kinda wanna leave them alone as much as possible so as not to induce any premature pinning.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder