Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Oyster Shell, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinebadmotofinger
Stranger
Casing Woes
    #963766 - 10/15/02 07:44 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

My cats friend has been making pf cakes for years w/o much trouble.  She has got that down pretty well.  She decided to take the casing plunge and is having a little trouble.  She innoculated soaked, cooked rye with great success. When it was time to case, she removed the quart of rye to a steralized bed of moist vermiculite, and cased with steralized moist 50/50 plus a small ammount oyster shells in a foil cakepan, covered with foil placed in moist peralite floored containerand waited a week.  Sure enough, when she checked it, the casing was about 75% colinized.  She took off the foil and little friends began to grow.  She noticed that these little friends seem to mature much smaller, than their cousins that thrive on pf cakes, around 30% the size.  First flush was quite a bit smaller than she expected.  Humidity is similar if not identical to the cakes, light, heat etc all match up.  Of course the spores are the same, not sure what they are precisely, she said they came from homestead books.  She also noticed that these little friends seem to drop their spored sometimes before their veil opens.  Lastly she said that the stems are very zigzagy.  Other than these strange changes, they seem healthy and happy.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.

:confused: 

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGreen_Velvet
Super Human HipHop Head
Loc: La La Land
Re: Casing Woes [Re: badmotofinger]
    #964079 - 10/15/02 09:47 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

In reply to:

Humidity is similar if not identical to the cakes

That might be your problem right there.. casings need humidity to be 85-92% once pins develop to maximize fruit size. Try lowering the humidity.

Offlinecomario2
amateur

Loc: between places
Re: Casing Woes [Re: Green_Velvet]
    #964198 - 10/15/02 10:28 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

correct. a grain casing would be expected to retain much more humidity than pfcakes, so reducing humidity should do it. eventually tou should get much higher yiels and more flushes with the casing

--------------------
comario

"crusaders against emotional poverty"

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Oyster Shell, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology