Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedistgre1
Male User Gallery

Growing on peyote in limestone
    #9620749 - 01/16/09 11:37 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Anyone have an experience in growing peyote in 70-80% limestone?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uk / Philippines
Re: Growing on peyote in limestone [Re: distgre1]
    #9620788 - 01/16/09 11:45 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

i have no experience of growing lophophora, except in soil.

some lophophora species grow on limestone cliffs in their natural habitat so i don't see why they couldn't do well in that kind of medium in horticulture.

kada should be able to shed some more light on this, i know he uses minimal soil in his growing mediums.

--------------------
View My Gallery

Offlinedistgre1
Male User Gallery

#9620797 - 01/16/09 11:47 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I guess I forgot to mention that Ive been growing mine in limestone for around 6 months.. I want to know if anyone has been using it for a long time successfully

Invisiblejds

#9621675 - 01/16/09 03:03 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I've heard limestone or not doesn't affect alkaloids or growth at all, but I don't think anyone ever did a "real" study

--------------------
“No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...and if it occasionally gets a little heavier than what you had in mind, well...maybe chalk it off to forced conscious expansion: Tune in, freak out, get beaten.”

― Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Offlineethnoguy
"Raper of Mother Nature"
Male User Gallery

Loc: your momma's house
Re: Growing on peyote in limestone [Re: jds]
    #9623432 - 01/16/09 09:03 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I've bought a couple Astrophytums that had nothing but limestone in the roots. At least I think it was limestone. No dirt at all. Kinda odd to me.

EG

OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

Re: Growing on peyote in limestone [Re: ethnoguy]
    #9625116 - 01/17/09 06:14 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

likewise, i've recieved lophs that had just grit and stone around the roots.
i've always believed that the growing medium is not that important and the choice of medium should reflect the climate and growing conditions.
no doubt lophs will grow in pretty much any medium, and it is the control of water and nutrient in that medium that is far more crucial.

for example if you live in a place that has frequent rains then the medium should be more biased towards grit, stone and sand so it dries faster.
where as if your climate is reasonably dry then the medium should be more biased towards soil.

thats just my opinion though :tongue2:

--------------------
View My Gallery

Offlineethnoguy
"Raper of Mother Nature"
Male User Gallery

Re: Growing on peyote in limestone [Re: Dr. uarewotueat]
    #9628580 - 01/17/09 09:09 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

That is really something one should consider. But also, some genus of cacti are more prone to rot such as lophs or just seem to do better in grit such as epithlantha. I really don't see the point in putting Astrophytum in straight grit. They do well in damn near anything. I'm also concerned with the nute aspect of straight grit. I guess a little verm would be good.

EG

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
    #9628651 - 01/17/09 09:28 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

i've always believed that the growing medium is not that important and the choice of medium should reflect the climate and growing conditions.

thats the ticket.  i grow 90% of my lophs in 100% sand.  all my astrophytum are in large chunk pumice, and grit.  reason is they rot in the rainy season if there is anything like peat or coco in the mix.  i dont think anywhere in continental Can/USA and perhaps europe gets that wet and can probably get away with more soil.  i used some soil in my mixes in canada, but here even trichs rot in mixes with soil.

if you can wipe the humidity off your face, consider not using dirt :crazy:

edit my astro mix

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Edited by kadakuda (01/18/09 02:26 AM)

InvisibleLedd
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Innerspace Flag
Re: Growing on peyote in limestone [Re: kadakuda]
    #9631154 - 01/18/09 10:44 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

When you are growing lophs in straight sand, how do you provide nutrients? Or better, what nutrients do you use and at what levels?

For indoor cultivation would recommend say, 70/30 sand to soil? From reading I have seen a mixture of 1-1-1 sand, soil, and perlite or small gravel

--------------------
We mean nothing we do not mean to do.

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

Re: Growing on peyote in limestone [Re: Ledd]
    #9631268 - 01/18/09 11:04 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

fertilizer lol.  i mostly use organic pellet chicken shit for most of my cacti, and they grow damn fast with it too :smile:  i use 2 tablespoons, roughly, per 5" pot.  mix it in.  i add it to the top of columnars, but it stains the skin of lophs, so it gets mixed down below.

in canada i used a mix with sand (use clean sand not that dusty shit that makes concrete when watered), perlite, some outdoor soil (from carrot farms) and sometimes a bit of worm castings.  probably was about 50% sand, 20% soil, 20% perlite and 10% random different things i played with.

--------------------

InvisibleLedd
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Innerspace Flag
    #9631342 - 01/18/09 11:14 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Oh so when you say 100% sand, that actually includes mixed in fertilizer? How often do you have to mix in a new supply of chicken turd?

--------------------
We mean nothing we do not mean to do.

OfflineHarveyWalbanger
Demiurge
Male

Loc: 8b
    #9648207 - 01/20/09 07:52 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

A decent chunk of Lophophora's habitat (I.E.  Texas) is on a limestone bedrock. A lot of native pictures, you see them in rocky shallow soil, surrounded by exposed limestone...

On the otherhand though... It might -live- in 70% lime soil, but serious growth is out of the question : p

Invisiblejds

Re: Growing on peyote in limestone [Re: HarveyWalbanger]
    #9648314 - 01/20/09 08:08 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Are you sure humidity affects cacti that much? It gets pretty hot and humid here in summer, and I'm sure my cacti will do fine in normal soil(+ some perlite), but I have yet to see what will happen... I got my 3 cacti recently and I didn't go through a summer with them, and they're in a regular cactus soil mix right now (2 trich's, 1 peyote)

--------------------
“No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...and if it occasionally gets a little heavier than what you had in mind, well...maybe chalk it off to forced conscious expansion: Tune in, freak out, get beaten.”

Offlineethnoguy
"Raper of Mother Nature"
Male User Gallery

#9649043 - 01/20/09 09:48 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Hey, if kada says so, its good by me MOST of the time :wink:. He is :thumbup: with the info.

I will say its humid here. VERY humid at times. I know what you are saying about it kada, but the humidity there is def rough. It can suck all the energy right out of ya. I never really thought about this aspect much. Neat.

EG

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

#9649432 - 01/20/09 10:49 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

take a pot of dry peat or soil or coco etc and stick it outside out of the sun (and not in the rain) if it becomes moist (from the humidity) its time to think about sand.  i don't think toronto/montreal area is humid enough for long enough to worry too much.  and this is just for slow growing tap root species that are rot prone.  trichs will grow many places in soil ok.  here they are ok in soil, but not if left outside in the rain!

i cant say for sure but i *think* the only places that really get mad humidity that is high enough long to worry would be hawaii and florida/georgia region...but i don't know, never been there.

--------------------

Offlineethnoguy
"Raper of Mother Nature"
Male User Gallery

#9649459 - 01/20/09 10:54 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Pretty much the entire southeast US can get wet. Great for kratom and salvia though.

EG

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

#9649528 - 01/20/09 11:03 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

wet is fine so long as it doesn't last :smile:  the wet here is even ok if the sun shines for a few days now and then....its the times when there are 2 months of solid rain ya got to worry :frown:  there are some cacti that do well in the wet though, like cereus, opuntia etc.  some of them do great :smile:

--------------------

Offlineethnoguy
"Raper of Mother Nature"
Male User Gallery

#9649541 - 01/20/09 11:04 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

2 months of rain? Damn, you sure you don't live in Scotland? :lol:

EG

OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

#9650326 - 01/21/09 05:08 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

it doesn't even rain that much in scotland lol...
the uk has a reputation for being a wet climate but in comparison to asia and its monsoon climate with 3000mm+ of rainfall in a season, it's damn dry here! :lol:

i'm lucky though, the area of england where i reside is reasonably dry, one of the driest counties on the east coast...
west coast gets all the rainfall and storms off the atlantic :yesnod:

i do worry about my lophs being outside in the summer though, it's ok for them to get rained on occasionally and i keep mine against the wall of the house usually so they get some shelter from the overhanging eaves.
i like to make my soil mixtures as loose as possible, adding plenty of grit and sand, but not too much or the medium wont retain moisture for more than a couple of days, then i end up having to water them more than i can be bothered to do :tongue:

bottom line is that there are too many factors to consider when choosing a medium. it is hard to advise.

experimentation is the only way, trial and error...
i used to add tons of perlite and sand and grit to my soil mixes but i found that it wouldn't hold enough moisture so i have no reverted back to straight cactus compost.

plastic or clay pots are another consideration and also pot size.
clay pots work well in my climate and i try to keep the pot size to a minimum, at least if they get soaked by rain then they will dry out within a week.
however i imagine that if kada used clay then the clay would just soak up the moisture from the air.

--------------------
View My Gallery

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

#9650381 - 01/21/09 05:46 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

ya, clay just is not used for cacti here...very rare and usually just ornamental type situations.

Quote:

adding plenty of grit and sand, but not too much or the medium wont retain moisture for more than a couple of days, then i end up having to water them more than i can be bothered to do :tongue:

that's exactly right, but drying out in a day or 2 is my own goal with my cacti.  i water usually twice a week, and they grow pretty quick like that :smile:  but it sure does take up a lot of time!!!  i'm usually watering various sections from 12-3 am every night :igor:

--------------------

Invisiblejds

#9652870 - 01/21/09 03:12 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I only put my big san pedro in a clay pot, all my other cacti are in plastic pots.

--------------------

Offlineethnoguy
"Raper of Mother Nature"
Male User Gallery

#9662364 - 01/22/09 10:27 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I only used clay pots until I bought every single one in the appropriate size. I totally wiped out Wal-Mart and Lowes. Now that I'm thinking about it, I realize that I have a lot of money in those things.

But, yeah I prefer clay. I think its a rule of thumb when it comes to cacti. Every grower needs to seek out apropriate vessels for their babies in general.

EG

Invisiblejds

#9662396 - 01/22/09 10:34 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

The only problem about clay is it's so damn heavy, and moving it from outside to inside and inside to outside is going to give me back problems during summer

--------------------

Offlineethnoguy
"Raper of Mother Nature"
Male User Gallery

#9662493 - 01/22/09 10:52 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I hear ya. A couple summers ago I spent time in Physical Therapy for my back injury. I situate mine so the get the correct sun exposure but still get sheltered. My front porch is great. If the neighbors only knew :lol:. You may want to borrow a dolly from someone. Maybe a friend can help you. When it rains just cover it with a tarp and stake it in. That would be my last resort, seeing how lazy the marijuana makes me.

I asked my wife to buy me a 1 gallon clay pot. She went to Lowes and bought a 4 gal pot. I asked here why she got a 3 gallon pot, and she told me that they only came in inches. I refuse to use it. My 2 gal pot is heavy enough.

EG

OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

#9663353 - 01/23/09 03:45 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

ethnoguy said:
I only used clay pots until I bought every single one in the appropriate size. I totally wiped out Wal-Mart and Lowes. Now that I'm thinking about it, I realize that I have a lot of money in those things.

i too have spent a small fortune on clay pots and cactus soil too :crankey:

that's why i'll be mixing my own cactus soil from the spring onwards :yesnod:

--------------------
View My Gallery

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

#9663762 - 01/23/09 07:28 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

HellDragon said:
The only problem about clay is it's so damn heavy, and moving it from outside to inside and inside to outside is going to give me back problems during summer

and they break when dropped, which good plastic pots rarely do.

also clay seems harsher on the roots that grow into them, make them dry and crispy, cant be good for the plants :frown:  at least in hot areas.

im just a plastic type of guy when it comes to pots (only pots...)

--------------------

Invisiblejds

#9666741 - 01/23/09 05:49 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

A bit offtopic but I don't want to make a thread for that...

Does anyone know if you pick out some of the white tuff in the middle of a loph if it grows back or makes the loph be mad?

--------------------

OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

#9666773 - 01/23/09 05:55 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

it will anger the cactus spirits.

--------------------
View My Gallery

Invisiblejds

#9666777 - 01/23/09 05:56 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I picked a bit of it out by mistake trying to take out dead flower parts. I think it flowered during shipping because it was cold, sad and it thought it was about to die? Is it possible?

--------------------

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

#9668712 - 01/23/09 11:17 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

i really doubt they flower when being shipped, unless it was already doing so before being shipped.  lophs need light to flower.

picking little bits of wool when taking out fruit wont do harm if you do it nicely.

--------------------

OfflineSpanishfly
$$$Rich€€€Bich£££
Male

Loc: Spain
    #22361818 - 10/11/15 05:49 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

I grow my peyote in a mainly gritty mix, with a little nutrition but 20% limestone.  After 15 years of growing peyote here in Spain that is what I have settled on.  I get almost no fatalities, good growth, I can grow from seed to flowering in 2 years (in optimal conditions), but not everyone has such an equable climate.  See my thread.

--------------------
I am currently BANNED from using Private Messages - so can anyone who wants to contact me do it via my Journal thread.  Link is https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/23831115

Maybe some mod or whatever might think this has now been long enough.

Edited by Spanishfly (10/17/15 03:39 AM)

OfflineSpanishfly
$$$Rich€€€Bich£££
Male

#22361822 - 10/11/15 05:55 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

kadakuda said:
i really doubt they flower when being shipped, unless it was already doing so before being shipped.  lophs need light to flower.

You are absolutely right - ALL cacti need light ALL year round.  Keep them dry in the winter, but they still need light.

--------------------
I am currently BANNED from using Private Messages - so can anyone who wants to contact me do it via my Journal thread.  Link is https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/23831115

OfflineSpanishfly
$$$Rich€€€Bich£££
Male

#22361824 - 10/11/15 05:58 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

ethnoguy said:
I asked my wife to buy me a 1 gallon clay pot. She went to Lowes and bought a 4 gal pot. I asked here why she got a 3 gallon pot, and she told me that they only came in inches. I refuse to use it. My 2 gal pot is heavy enough.

EG

When your plants grow a little bigger you will.

Pachypodium lamerei

--------------------

Edited by Spanishfly (10/17/15 03:36 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies