Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleOscuro_lobo
Dark Wolf

Loc: it doesn't really matter.
Trying to find direction in life.
    #960411 - 10/14/02 05:24 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Have you ever reached that point in your life.. where you have to choose, where you want to go, what you need to do with your life.... find a direction.

But you're standing there, clueless. :\

I've reached that point... I don't know what I want to do with my life.

I'm 20yrs old, un-employed. Dropped out of HS because I hated it/the people. Got my GED.
Did some community college here, bombed out... so I decided to take some time off... had a good job... made a buncha money... went travelling.
Spent all my money, got into debt, fell in love with someone across the nation.

I need to find something to do with my life, I know I'm a smart and talented individual... a whiz with computers (software/hardware)... television broadcasting equipment.  and to top it off I want to be a chef.

I'm in TX, the person I love is in NYC, I Want to be near them and with them...
But I don't know if NY is the right place for me, and I know if I don't make the move to be with them... they can't move down here... their job kicks too much ass...
They won't wait for me.. relationship wise...  I.. bleh
Utterly depressing.. it hurts my brain >_<

Anyone ever been in a similar situation, and can offer some insight?
:confused:

-ol

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCleverName
the cloudsshould know meby now...

Loc: red earth painted with mi...
Re: Trying to find direction in life. [Re: Oscuro_lobo]
    #960424 - 10/14/02 05:26 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

"I want to be a chef"

then do it, do it with great enthusiasm and vigor. realize your dream and take hold of your destiny TODAY. remember, everyday is a chance to change.

--------------------
if you can't find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?

this is the purpose

OfflineCleverName
the cloudsshould know meby now...

Loc: red earth painted with mi...
    #960434 - 10/14/02 05:30 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

there are many cooking schools in NYC.
if i were you i would:
1. take out a school loan, for the cooking school.
2. get a part-time job, or full-time if possible
3. get a place with your beau
4. enjoy life

*disclaimer- thats just off the top of my head, but just trying to help :grin: 

--------------------
if you can't find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?

this is the purpose

InvisibleOscuro_lobo
Dark Wolf

Re: Trying to find direction in life. [Re: CleverName]
    #960483 - 10/14/02 05:45 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

yea, I wanna go here :smile:

http://www.ciachef.edu

or possibly... in the future the French Culinary Institute

1. take out a school loan, for the cooking school. (plan on it)
2. get a part-time job, or full-time if possible (gonna have to!)
3. get a place with your beau ( I wish.. )
4. enjoy life (Here's to hoping!)

-ol 

InvisibleDaBeerLover
Stranger
    #960528 - 10/14/02 06:00 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

hey buddy,

I am a chef, and it is hard fucking work. the hours are long there is a ton of stress, and it gets hot as hell back in the kitchens.

but i love it. i would never regret doing it. I work hard for everything i have and that to me is the right choice. You always get to eat good food, and it makes you feel great to see that you bring joy to the people that eat your food. not to mention the people you meet are very cool.

being a chef is very rewarding but you have to love it or you can't do it. It is very hard work.

you are very lucky right now, it is just hard to see that. you have your whole life ahead of you to do what makes you happy. the skys the limit for the things you can do right now. so many people would love to be in your shoes.

you need to make the right choices now. thats is what makes it hard. the choicea you make now will you still be happy when to are 40. once you get locked into a career, a family ,and life there is no turning back. do what makes you truely happy and you can't go wrong, but don't do things for the wrong reasons. don't chase the dollar, if you do what you love the dollar will come to you.

the grass will always be greener on the other side. the trick i think is to be happy with what you have every day. life seems long but in the end it is very short there will never be enough time. live with no regrets, even when times get hard. trust me there are a lot of hard times don't let them get you down.

damn you got me going, maybe i could be a motivational speaker. I am 21 and married , just bought a house , and have a kid on the way. We are about the same age so i know what are going thru and i will never have all the answers. we all have to start some where, you are just getting started.

best of luck

DaBeerLover

Invisiblesir tripsalot
Administrator

#960540 - 10/14/02 06:05 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

You really aren't all that badly off, if chefs what you want then chefs what you do. If financing chef school is not possible get a decent paying job and save up, I'm 20 as well and we got a bit of time:) Trades are good way to get fast cash with not too much schooling, something to fall back on as well.

--------------------

"Little racoons and old possums 'n' stuff all live up in here. They've got to have a little place to sit." Bob Ross.

InvisibleDaBeerLover
Stranger
    #960550 - 10/14/02 06:09 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

one more thing.

don't go to culinary school until you have cooked for a couple of years. going to school does not make you a chef. hell they don't even come close to showing you what it is like to work in a kitchen. trust me i have gone to two cooking schools and most people that go to them will never be any good.

go cook first ,see if that is what you want to do before spending money on school. you learn alot more working then you do reading cook books. hope you like to wash dishes. all the best cooks i know started out as dish washers. me too.

best of luck

DaBeerLover

InvisibleOscuro_lobo
Dark Wolf

Re: Trying to find direction in life. [Re: DaBeerLover]
    #960566 - 10/14/02 06:16 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Erk... thanks to everyone for replying.. :smile: I really appreciate it.

DaBeerLover: I know I need to work in some kitchens... my first job was in one, doing line work and washing dishes... I was a dish dog. yay.
Wasn't fun, but I wouldnt' take it back for anything, it made me appreciate work.

I know I wanna be a chef, I've always wanted to since I was little, I know how to cook fairly well, not necessarily in a professional kitchen though.

If I do make the move to NY and attend (I hope) the CIA.. it'd have to be soonish..

-ol

InvisibleDaBeerLover
Stranger
    #960584 - 10/14/02 06:21 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Read this book,

The Making of a CHEF. Mastering the Heat at the Culinary Institute of America.

I was accepted to go the CIA, so i went a bought this book. It tell you first hand what goes on in a pro culinary school. it is not a walk in the park. it is fucking boot camp. the coast is 34,000 for two years. you can even go for four years if you can afford it. bakery class starts at 3:15 in the morning about four hours after your last class. peice of cake then you have to work on top of all that .

you had better realy want to be a chef to go though all of that work. i have done it. i was fun.

best of luck

DaBeerLover

Edited by DaBeerLover (10/14/02 06:26 PM)

Offlinefelix
 User Gallery

#961156 - 10/14/02 09:27 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

holy shit man.  that all sounds exactly like me.

after high school i moved.  im 20. 
unemployed(now). 
DID have a good job (8.50 an hour isn't that bad).
took some college...but quit going.  got refunds
i have a love on the other side of the world....in florida.  she's fucking b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l.
AND i was going to college to be a chef!  but the culinary program was complete SHIT.

now i'm just sittin' here in limbo....trying to figure it all out....trying to figure out what i want to do, where i want to move.  i'm just about lost...hurts my brain too.  :tongue: 

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

Offlinefelix
 User Gallery

Re: Trying to find direction in life. [Re: felix]
    #961168 - 10/14/02 09:30 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

i'm surprised how many people on the shroomery actually want to be chefs!!!!!!! or maybe they are just puppets of the one guy who does want to be a chef.

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

InvisibleOscuro_lobo
Dark Wolf

#962003 - 10/15/02 02:11 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

holy shit man. that all sounds exactly like me.

Hehe.. i've found out I'm not too all alone in the world anyway.  :grin:
Sucks though, don't it?
I miss my old job :frown: i got $10 an hour to do live NTSC video stuff for a theme park.
I fucking *ROCKED* at my job, my boss said I was the best guy there...
then they cut my hours from 40+ to less than 5  :frown:
without warning  :mad:

Grr.. anyway... yea.. I hope I get somewhere in life.. I really do...
I'm not 20 yet.. only 19... I turn 20 in December. *fingertwirl*

All this would be so much simpler if I didn't factor in the person in NY, I wanna be with soooooooooo badly.
Being in love is hard! :blush:

-ol

Offlinefelix
 User Gallery

#962031 - 10/15/02 02:32 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

LoL...dude, you are like me in another dimension. wtf.
im not 20 yet either...in a few months....i guess i lied.
and my hours got cut from somewhere around 36 or 40 to about 8 or 12. and guess what? without warning too.

crazy shit man....crazy shit.

--------------------

Offlinemr_kite
The Watcher
Male

Loc: shambhala
    #962404 - 10/15/02 06:42 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Possible something to do with the munchies...

--------------------
let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love

OfflinePenguin
You can't be me I'm a Rockstar

Loc: On the Arctic ice shelf.
Re: Trying to find direction in life. [Re: mr_kite]
    #962985 - 10/15/02 12:45 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Is everyone here on the same wave-length?
I too am a wandering soul...but all those who wander are not lost.
I am 20 myself, like you and graduated High School. I am a great artist, but have diluted to my girlfreinds needs :mad:.

I have never lived by myself. I want to venture out and do the things I want to do. I have had many cool jobs, but have quit them. I dont know why I left these AWESOME jobs.

I got into trouble last year( felony conviction) and my life has no been the same.

I too love to cook. I have all of this ambition, but am anchored down. I am seriously sitting down to comtemplate my next move. I hate where I am.

And the one I love has broken to me that she does not want to go tourning when we are off of probation. Instead she wants to hunker down and start a family! Shes 20 also... whata waste of youth! At least in my mind. I still have things I need to do.

--------------------
The fear of loss is always greater than the desire for gain

Edited by Penguin (10/15/02 12:46 PM)

InvisibleOscuro_lobo
Dark Wolf

Re: Trying to find direction in life. [Re: Penguin]
    #965213 - 10/16/02 03:28 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Is everyone here on the same wave-length?

Seems so.. or at least a similar one...
I guess the only advice I can give to anyone.. is make steps, small ones are fine, but make sure they're going forward.

Quote:

I too love to cook. I have all of this ambition, but am anchored down. I am seriously sitting down to comtemplate my next move. 

Yea..  I hear you there.. I have all these things I *want* to do.. but.. shit restricts me.. be it money, family, location.. what have you.. I'm trying to get my life in order... I just wanna be happy  :smirk:

Oh yea.. and to DaBeerLover...  I found that book you suggested, but I only had $20, so I got Kitchen Confidential instead.. I plan on getting Making a Chef next!

-ol

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom