Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetyler_0_durden
Stranger

Re: Choosing to die -- dilemma with egoloss and fear [Re: deranger]
    #9617625 - 01/15/09 09:09 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, like others said above, it's literally impossible to "will" yourself to die. It just won't happen. Even if you hold your breath, your brain at some point is going to take over and you will unconsciously take gasps of air.

I think ego-loss is a great thing. I'm not sure if I experienced it fully myself, I just remember at one point during my most intense trip, I saw exactly how all of life works and what it's all about...I did certainly feel "dead"...it was a very strange feeling. I'm not afraid of death because it's just....if you think about it, it's just your body-mind dying. Sure, you won't exist after death, we all know this, but if you think about it like this, that since you became conscious of your own body, you attributed your "self" to your body. When you die, you're just going to lose that body that you're so greatly attached to...it doesn't mean your essence dies...in fact, you'll probably experience life again after death, it just won't be that same body-mind you grew old with. It'll be a completely different one, and thus, when you become self-aware of that new body, you'll call it "you". You'll be completely different...

That's all death is. It refreshes "you".

--------------------
"As a man who has devoted his whole life to the most clear headed science, to the study of matter, I can tell you as a result of my research about atoms this much: There is no matter as such. All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force which brings the particle of an atom to vibration and holds this most minute solar system of the atom together. We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent mind. This mind is the matrix of all matter."  --Max Planck

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinestickygreennpurp
Are You Experienced?
Male

Loc: Southeast US
Re: Choosing to die -- dilemma with egoloss and fear [Re: tyler_0_durden]
    #9617678 - 01/15/09 09:20 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

tyler_0_durden said:
Yeah, like others said above, it's literally impossible to "will" yourself to die. It just won't happen. Even if you hold your breath, your brain at some point is going to take over and you will unconsciously take gasps of air.

I think ego-loss is a great thing. I'm not sure if I experienced it fully myself, I just remember at one point during my most intense trip, I saw exactly how all of life works and what it's all about...I did certainly feel "dead"...it was a very strange feeling. I'm not afraid of death because it's just....if you think about it, it's just your body-mind dying. Sure, you won't exist after death, we all know this, but if you think about it like this, that since you became conscious of your own body, you attributed your "self" to your body. When you die, you're just going to lose that body that you're so greatly attached to...it doesn't mean your essence dies...in fact, you'll probably experience life again after death, it just won't be that same body-mind you grew old with. It'll be a completely different one, and thus, when you become self-aware of that new body, you'll call it "you". You'll be completely different...

That's all death is. It refreshes "you".

I hope that happens when you die. I have always got the impression that "nothing" will happen. Kind of like before you were born....there was nothing. Well at least I guess there was because I can't remember it. Ah life, existence, reality or whatever you want to call it is extraordinary. It saddens me sometimes becuase it seems like most people can't see this. It seems like they are just "going through the motions" or whatever. Oh well.

--------------------
God.WEEN.Satan

Offlinetyler_0_durden
Stranger

Re: Choosing to die -- dilemma with egoloss and fear [Re: stickygreennpurp]
    #9617713 - 01/15/09 09:27 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

This is what I've come to think HAS to happen. It just would make sense. The reason why we think there's nothing after death, is because we can't remember anything before our birth. But how could we? If we did indeed exist before our current life, there'd be no way to remember it, because we would've been a different body-mind, and thus have different memories and thoughts, which all existed in our other life when we were that body. And of course, you won't remember anything after your death, because that body-mind you have lived with, is now dead. So therefore, there won't be any recollection of your new life, and with that new life, you won't have any recollection of your past life. It just keeps wiping the slate clean, over and over again...

There's no way to know for sure though...I think that's one of the great mysteries about life. Makes you wonder... :laugh:

--------------------
"As a man who has devoted his whole life to the most clear headed science, to the study of matter, I can tell you as a result of my research about atoms this much: There is no matter as such. All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force which brings the particle of an atom to vibration and holds this most minute solar system of the atom together. We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent mind. This mind is the matrix of all matter."  --Max Planck

Offlinestickygreennpurp
Are You Experienced?
Male

Loc: Southeast US
Re: Choosing to die -- dilemma with egoloss and fear [Re: tyler_0_durden]
    #9617797 - 01/15/09 09:42 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Ah I see what your saying now. I have thought about that too. At first I thought you meant our energy would be shot into some hyperspace ecstasy and we could still think, etc and do whatever the hell we wanted. :laugh: Yeah since energy cannot be created or destroyed, this is probably it. But hey who knows.

--------------------
God.WEEN.Satan

Offlinebongoboy2000
Bongoboy2000
Male
Loc: Seattle
    #9617886 - 01/15/09 09:56 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Hey guys, fascinating stuff, thank you for taking time to answer my questions. I want to be more part of this discussion but it may have to wait till tomorrow, as I only have a few minutes to spend here.
I spend a lot of my trips trying to come up with the most reasonable theory of where our energy goes when we die. It consumes me, really. It's insane to think, but I find it hard to discount the fact that this bliss/energy we see when we experience ego loss is the among same energy/order that we will encounter when we pass. I dunno. it's wild stuff. I'll go more in depth soon. thanks all, keep it going!! :heart:

--------------------
...I got nothin..

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#9617894 - 01/15/09 09:57 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

...or, brain death is brain death and after you're dead, there is no more consciousness that is 'you'.

Although I tend to harbor some sympathies with panpsychism, I also feel that consciousness is not a discrete property: there are varying degrees of it present with the Universe.  When I die, my higher-order consciousness will be dissolved back into the separate consciousnesses of the various atoms that make up my body.  Of course, it's probably  a bit more complicated than that if one goes to M-theory and finds out we're all just a collection of vibrating strings, but nonetheless the fact remains that without your uniquely structured hippocampus and your singular synaptic wiring, you would not be you.

Consciousness is reliant upon neural hardware (or more accurately phrased, consciousness and neural hardware are two different facets of the same substance), and without working biochemical reactions you would have no personality, no memory, and nothing that preserves your individuality--in short, consciousness is kaput after the body dies.

Even though consciousness technically cannot be destroyed (I would assume, unless the law of conservation of energy fails to hold), it can certainly be broken up.  I would stake my bet on there being no life after death, at least in the ordinary sense.

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

OfflineSurReality
PsychAdemic
Male User Gallery

Loc: Colorado, USA Flag
Re: Choosing to die -- dilemma with egoloss and fear [Re: bongoboy2000]
    #9617931 - 01/15/09 10:02 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

bongoboy2000 said:
Hey guys, fascinating stuff, thank you for taking time to answer my questions. I want to be more part of this discussion but it may have to wait till tomorrow, as I only have a few minutes to spend here.
I spend a lot of my trips trying to come up with the most reasonable theory of where our energy goes when we die. It consumes me, really. It's insane to think, but I find it hard to discount the fact that this bliss/energy we see when we experience ego loss is the among same energy/order that we will encounter when we pass. I dunno. it's wild stuff. I'll go more in depth soon. thanks all, keep it going!! :heart:

unless your burned, your energy usually gets consumed by decomposers.

--------------------
ProDOPEFiend Diary: (my public diary)

PodCast

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom