Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinewre
Male User Gallery

Loc: New Zealand
Re: Psychedelics and Depression Research Dump [Re: Smeeeeg]
    #13034253 - 08/10/10 10:18 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I don't know if this is off topic or helpful or anything but i did watch this documentary on the national geographic channel about psychedelics, they reckoned that people in tribes didn't suffer psychological problems from the psychedelics because its the way they were brought up and have different beliefs or something

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinechrissake
Student of Life

Loc: Northern Woods
Re: Psychedelics and Depression Research Dump [Re: Noteworthy]
    #18050243 - 04/03/13 12:33 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Noteworthy said:
Well actually guys, you seem to be missing my point.

so eager to attack someone who suggests that depression is something that people can take responsibility for, that youve inflated what ive said into the arguments you have heard people say before.

eg, to mindfudged
I never said anything about an illogical thought process.
I NEVER said it was stupid to be depressed

however you are right in some ways

I shouldnt have used the word 'forget'

to antitranssubstantionalist,

'people are depressed because they feel bored or hopeless'

well firstly you will find that those are two major 'symptoms' of depression

secondly, this interpretation of my post (which is not really correct interpretation but I dont disagree with the point) does not contradict the notion that low serotonin levels occur during periods of depression.

And since you two have stood me up as a sort of insensitive prick,

I don't see what is insensitive about believing that depression occurs because people lack significant meaning behind their lives, in their eyes. 
When in a depressed state, this then is compounded because depressed people often are not active at forging new meaning (they feel hopeless)

Sure there are some people with 'chemical imbalances'.

But you have to realise that chemical balances do not just influence the mind, they are influenced by the thoughts that our mind actually has. So if you are simply depressed and do not take successful measures to return to an active state, then the depression will eventually cause your mind to be 'chemically imbalanced' and continue being depressed.

Living in a society whereby people are not taught to actively make themselves stand out in the world and influence things, and create meaning, will mean that the population's brains, on average, on the whole, will develop less of the neuron patterns that involve serotonin production and release (for example) and thus will lead to chemical imbalances in peoples brains because they develop plenty of neural patterns that develop the expectation of meaning, but not as many to indicate meaning is there. In fact, culture has very much symbolised meaning (eg the 'concepts' that mckenna talked about in that recently posted institutions youtube) and this has made it much harder for people to search for their own meaning when they have to try and do it through the concepts that society has given them.

sure there are people with plain old metabolic disorders that lead to depression

but do you honestly think they make up the majority of people who are sincerely deemed 'depressed'?

I dont

I know this is an old ass thread, but after reading it, I have to reply. I pretty much fully agree with Noteworthy here, and this is coming from someone who was depressed from the 5th grade up until I was 25 years old. I wasted what could have been the best years of my life. I also have to say that after several high doses of mushrooms over the course of a few months, I am no longer depressed. It has now been 1.5 years since I last tripped, and haven't been depressed a day since. I never really had an ego to begin with, so the death of it was easy and unnoticeable. I can say, with 100% certainty, that mushrooms cured my depression. It changed my mind in such a powerful way that I could never return to such a hopeless way of thinking. I think at a certain point in my youth, I began to realize that I either had to be a certain way (that I did not want to be) or I was destined to a life of misery, poverty, and failure. That coerced way of thinking, through society, is possibly what caused my depression in the first place. Mushrooms helped me break out of the shell I had formed from feeling trapped in this "perceived world". Now I know I can do whatever I want to, and put effort into. I appreciate everything so much more, and now have a battle to win. That battle is against the mental shackles that our sick society placed on me, with the help of my own family. That mistake will not be repeated by me. Noteworthy knows what the fuck he is talking about, and I agree with him.

OfflineStoryTeller
Fun guy
Male

Loc: right behind you
Re: Psychedelics and Depression Research Dump [Re: chrissake]
    #18050572 - 04/03/13 02:10 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Just read the first post and skimmed others. Figured I'd throw in some input.

I had strong depression as a teenager. Psychedelics completely changed it. I had a love and passion for life and knowledge.

Then I kept tripping. I started deconstructing every single possible thing in my my mind after a while. I came to realize that life is, for the most part, meaningless. The mantra "the meaning of life is to give life meaning" repeats over and over in my head every trip I take now... but giving meaning to life is difficult when you realize the insignificance of almost everything.

The insignificance of everything makes the weight I bear of my personal struggles seem pretty substantial. I don't believe this would be the case if I believed that there was some sort of inherent meaning to existence.

In short, psychedelics cured my depression, I continued to chase this cure, and it started taking things too far into a direction that isn't beneficial to me anymore. Once I'm done with college, quit my shitty job, and move to a different country I'm certain that psychedelics will continue to help me through my mental quirks once again.

--------------------
I am a fictional character written anonymously for the sake of entertainment.

All I know is something like a bird within her sang...

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder