Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Loc: Texas
Pine Sawdust
    #9607383 - 01/14/09 01:28 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Pretty much useless, right?  Well I have three 40 lb sacks of the stuff.  I hate wasting things, so I'm going to try to grow P. pulmonaris on it, and possibly chicken of the woods if I can revive my culture.

So I'm looking for ideas on how to best use this stuff.  I can definitely compost it, but how long does it take for turpenoids to break down?  Also, Spirassis crispa occurs on the roots of pines.  Has anyone here tried growing it, or does it require a living host to munch on?

--------------------
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBuckeye Oysters
From Zero to Hero
 User Gallery

Re: Pine Sawdust [Re: Paresthesia]
    #9610887 - 01/14/09 10:18 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Pine really isn't too bad of a substrate.  I know RR has used it before with success.  I think sterilization breaks down the antifungal properties if I remember.

--------------------
Evolution is Lamarckism in disguise.  Adaptation never creates a new species or trait, but rather the new species/trait always existed within the parent DNA until circumstances allowed it to be activated.  For instance, every wolf has the DNA for poodles, but that DNA would never be revealed without man selectively breeding for it.

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Re: Pine Sawdust [Re: Buckeye Oysters]
    #9612903 - 01/15/09 06:49 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I checked with a few local saw mills yesterday.  They mostly referred me to other mills.  I felt like I was at work!

On the plus side, I guess this means I won't have much local competition once I start producing.  The closest commercial operations just grow buttons.  Whole Foods ships their oysters in from out of state, and 90% of the time they look like shit!

--------------------
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

OfflineBuckeye Oysters
From Zero to Hero
 User Gallery

#9613615 - 01/15/09 11:58 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Yup, all commercial oysters sold in groceries in my area come from canada and everything else come from the button mushroom capital of the world Pennsylvanian.  Probably not another local grower like me for 200+ miles

--------------------
Evolution is Lamarckism in disguise.  Adaptation never creates a new species or trait, but rather the new species/trait always existed within the parent DNA until circumstances allowed it to be activated.  For instance, every wolf has the DNA for poodles, but that DNA would never be revealed without man selectively breeding for it.

Offlinesolumvita
Q.B.E.
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Africa
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Pine Sawdust [Re: Buckeye Oysters]
    #9618446 - 01/16/09 01:43 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

For composting period: 6 months

--------------------
One of these days all the answers will be revealed until then we learn from each other!

www.mushrush.co.za

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Re: Pine Sawdust [Re: solumvita]
    #9619374 - 01/16/09 07:35 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Six months?  What will I do until then!? Damn.  Any idea where I could find a Spirassis crispa print or culture?  Does it require a living host to fruit?

I've also read somewhere about people inoculating pine sawdust with some organism that breaks down the resins in it.  It's munched on by this fungus for a couple of weeks before being sterilized and inoculated with a different wood lover.

There's a lumber industry down here, but they primarily harvest southern and loblolly pines.  Pine sawdust is cheap and plentiful.  If I could find a way to use it, I'd have a great source of woodlover substrate.

--------------------

- T. S. Eliot

OfflineStonewall
Mad Scientist

Loc: MI, USA
    #9625175 - 01/17/09 08:53 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I'm in a very similar position and anxiously await replies / results :tongue2:

--------------------
The ultimate good is like water. It nourishes all things without trying to, content with the lowly places people disdain.

OfflineAndrew47
Servant of allLife
Male

Re: Pine Sawdust [Re: Stonewall]
    #9626224 - 01/17/09 02:54 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Here's a paper on the issue www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/pdf2000/croan00a.pdf

As for using the sawdust untreated, there are a few mushrooms we grow with softwood counterparts, such as Ganoderma tsugae which is related and looks like reishi but grows on conifers. The softwood counterpart for Lion's Mane is Hericium abietis. Maybe these might perform on your untreated pine (if you could find afford or find a culture or a wild fruit to clone)

--------------------
It's easy! Send your clean prints to www.fsrcanada.com

Edited by Andrew47 (01/17/09 03:03 PM)

Offlinedenger
Mycelium keeper
Male User Gallery

Loc: Unites States of Dreams
Re: Pine Sawdust [Re: Andrew47]
    #9631724 - 01/18/09 02:32 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Just found in GGMM that pine sawdust is fine for Pholiota nameko. This is probably the tastiest one you can grow on pine.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms