Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineVij
Passerby
Mental problems, could shrooms be the cause?
    #9604367 - 01/13/09 09:50 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Hello all,

For the past few weeks, my mind has been a little off. I cant seem to focus on topics very well and feel a bit spacey, to the point where simply turning my head quickly leaves me confused for a second or two. I did go through a period of unusually high mushroom usage a while ago where I gave myself a moderate dose once every week for four or five weeks in a row, but these symptoms began about a month or two after the last trip. Furthermore, this feels nothing like any shroom aftereffects Ive had before, such as a feeling of being removed from reality or having residual, er...shroominess. I also have no existing mental disorders and none run in my family.

My question, then, is has this ever happened to any of you and do you think it might be some kind of odd delayed response to shrooming too many times, perhaps triggered by a little herbal smoking after abstaining for several months?

Thank you in advance and nice to meet you all. There are some interesting discussions on these forums...

Edited by Vij (01/13/09 09:52 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLSDreamer
Materialist
Male

Re: Mental problems, could shrooms be the cause? [Re: Vij]
    #9604387 - 01/13/09 09:53 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Could be. Could not be. I'm sure the mushrooms didn't help. If the problems persist, see a doctor. If you choose to see a doctor, I would suggest not telling them about your drug use.

--------------------

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#9604388 - 01/13/09 09:54 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Have you taken any other drugs since you stopped shrooming, or during your trips?

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

OfflineLSDreamer
Materialist
Male

Re: Mental problems, could shrooms be the cause? [Re: deCypher]
    #9604401 - 01/13/09 09:56 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Oh yeah, if you smoke weed, stop for awhile.

--------------------

Offlinecartman125
Stranger
Male
Loc: Ft.Lauderdale
Re: Mental problems, could shrooms be the cause? [Re: LSDreamer]
    #9604872 - 01/13/09 11:08 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Doesn't happen to me and I trip every week. Maybe it's in your head.

OfflineRam Dass
Challenger
Male

Loc: 2000 Feet Under the Sea
    #9604956 - 01/13/09 11:22 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I have a feeling that it is not mushrooms... but then again I'm not a doctor.  Have you started taking any prescription meds recently? Any other symptoms?

EDIT: Forgot to ask, have you had any injuries or concussions?

Edited by Ram Dass (01/13/09 11:24 PM)

OfflineLegalize
Metalhead
Male

Loc: USA Flag
Re: Mental problems, could shrooms be the cause? [Re: cartman125]
    #9604969 - 01/13/09 11:23 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

It will pass, I sometimes get a little screwy after shrooming. I think it's normal.

--------------------

Opiate free since 8/26/10 :thumbup:

Opiate free since 6/22/11 :thumbup: :sun: :thumbup:

OfflineDrumfiend
Duke of Fiends
Male

Loc: British Columbia
Re: Mental problems, could shrooms be the cause? [Re: Legalize]
    #9605173 - 01/14/09 12:00 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Could be. Could not be. I'm sure the mushrooms didn't help. If the problems persist, see a doctor. If you choose to see a doctor, I would suggest not telling them about your drug use.

Guess I'm a bit different, but I like to keep my doctor in the know about anything relevant. Man can't help you if he doesn't have the facts.

--------------------
"Your accountants are waiting in the West wing, sir."
  "Tell them I'm sick."
"Shan't have to lie. That refugee charity called..."
  "Write them a check."
"And the Committee for the Prevention of Obsessive Behavior in Middle-Aged Men?"
  "Write them a check."
"Very good, sir. Your sense of humor is as keen as ever, sir."

OfflineLSDreamer
Materialist
Male

Re: Mental problems, could shrooms be the cause? [Re: Drumfiend]
    #9605251 - 01/14/09 12:13 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

^Well, most doctors do not have a healthy view of drugs. The thing is, if your issues are not caused by the neurotoxicity of drugs, then the fact that your condition was brought on or worsened by drugs is not really necessary for an accurate diagnosis. For the majority of doctors, disclosing drug use would likely skew the diagnosis rather than making it more accurate.

--------------------

OfflineVij
Passerby
    #9605374 - 01/14/09 12:36 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

No new prescription drugs, concussions, alien abductions, etc. I smoke weed occasionally and I smoked quite a bit at a time that coincides with my first symptoms, but I have never had anything like this ever happen to me from any amount of weed (and I smoked my fair share in the past) -- this is not from weed.

Legalize: But do you continue normally and then get screwy up to a month after shrooming? That's what I can't figure out...

LSDreamer and Drumfiend: Dreamer is right, telling your doctor tends to skew their diagnosis, but I would rather tell the doctor anyway because, to paraphrase Drumfield, I'd rather not be treated for one thing when drug use was the real cause. The true trick is to find a reliable doctor who hasn't been influenced by the propaganda floating around about the effects of various drugs, preferably one who has used a few in their time. Fortunately I have one like that, unfortunately I know that her education is too diffuse to allow her to accurately diagnose mild mental problems.

I know few of you may be doctors, but this seems to be the best place to go to rule out at least one possible cause. Your replies are certainly helping.

OfflineLSDreamer
Materialist
Male

#9605466 - 01/14/09 12:52 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

^Yeah but, treatment usually doesn't treat the cause, it usually treats the symptoms. After an accurate diagnosis, if you really want, you can reveal your drug use, but IMHO, doing to before hand is likely to get you an inaccurate diagnosis.

--------------------

InvisibleSophistic Radiance
Free sVs!
Female

Loc: Center of the Universe
    #9605741 - 01/14/09 02:01 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I'm going to go out on a limb and tell you it's probably in your head. It seems like frequent use of psychedelics tends to predispose you to mild anxiety later on down the road, which I'd wager is all you've got. It doesn't really come around right away and it can manifest as feeling "out of it" in any number of ways.

Just take care of yourself and it'll get better. There's nothing to worry about unless you get seriously uncomfortable or begin have difficulty functioning in everyday life.

--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.

Edited by Tchan909 (01/14/09 02:02 AM)

InvisibleSpencerGNobleman
Neurologician
Male

Re: Mental problems, could shrooms be the cause? [Re: Sophistic Radiance]
    #9605804 - 01/14/09 02:21 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Anyone here who is a doctor would be smart enough not to jeopardize their license engaging your question as a doctor.  Any doctor dumb enough to post here as a doctor and give you medical advice is not someone to listen to.  Yes, shrooms could be the cause.  You're asking the wrong questions. 

Turning your head and experiencing disorientation could be a physical problem.  You should tell your doctor, say you have used shrooms and weed in the past but do not use them regularly if she asks, and not rely on the advice of a message board filled with pro-drug bias and positive thinking ungrounded in reality for something as important as a potentially serious problem with your brain.

The real problem is if you have something physically wrong they could fix tomorrow, but not three months from now when it keeps getting worse.  Go see a real doctor soon.

--------------------
"If it is true that the bigger the thinking becomes, the more lastingly effective it is, we must ask, 'How big can we think?' "  - Buckminster Fuller

OfflineVij
Passerby
Re: Mental problems, could shrooms be the cause? [Re: SpencerGNobleman]
    #9606069 - 01/14/09 03:27 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

^
Best advice yet. You're right, but I'm several hundred miles from my primary doctor, the one I trust. Because of my convoluted insurance plan, I can either go to one in this area that I've been to before -- a well-meaning but ineffective man who thinks the best treatment for any physical problem is Vicodin -- for a $10 copay (or have him refer me to an equally ineffective man for the same), or I can choose my own doctor but I'll have to pay out of pocket which, while not entirely prohibitive, is something I'm not willing to pay for while the symptoms are as mild as they are and not worsening.

I would like to think everything is in my head, like Tchan suggested (which is the only non-professional diagnosis I could receive here anyway), but my mental acuity has always been as straight and sharp as a chef's best knife so if my symptoms aren't a result of drug use, then I'd have to assume that something in my body has suddenly shifted. Tchan might have hit the nail on the head, though: I have been experiencing an inordinate amount of stress lately and I know that stress has affected me physically in the past, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that it might affect my mind this time around.

Thank you all for your help. Tchan is probably correct and I think I've extracted as much out of you as I can. We'll see if relaxing for a bit longer might ease my symptoms. If not, I'll be back near my physician again soon (and under a pleasant insurance umbrella to boot). Thank you again.

InvisibleSophistic Radiance
Free sVs!
Female

Loc: Center of the Universe
    #9606091 - 01/14/09 03:34 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Try taking hikes, that's what I do when my brain isn't being friendly.

Spencer is right, though. Good decision to see a doctor soon.

--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.

Offlinelines
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #9606360 - 01/14/09 05:52 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Your fine you just need to lay off the drugs and then your brain will be functioning normally again after awhile. Don't go to a psychiatrist, psychiatrists are not real doctors and psychiatry is of no help to anybody. All people need to do to heal their minds is get proper foods, good sleep, and some time to meditate

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

Re: Mental problems, could shrooms be the cause? [Re: lines]
    #9606644 - 01/14/09 08:16 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Stop smoking weed if you're concerned about it, frankly.  Eat healthy, get a good amount of sleep, and let your mind adjust to sobriety.  If the symptoms still persist a month after you've given up all drugs, then would be a good time to let your doctor know.

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

OfflineChemEng
 User Gallery
Loc: Planet Earth
    #9606932 - 01/14/09 09:36 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

lines said:
Your fine you just need to lay off the drugs and then your brain will be functioning normally again after awhile. Don't go to a psychiatrist, psychiatrists are not real doctors and psychiatry is of no help to anybody. All people need to do to heal their minds is get proper foods, good sleep, and some time to meditate

Psychologists are the ones who are not real doctors and who primarily use psychotherapy for treatment.

Psychiatrists are the doctors and the ones who will probably give you some kind of pill to solve your problem.

Edited by ChemEng (01/14/09 09:41 AM)

OfflineLSDreamer
Materialist
Male

#9606955 - 01/14/09 09:42 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

lines said:

Such an ignorant statement. That is horribly offensive to people with legitimate problems that cannot be fixed that way. It's belittling their conditions and shifting the blame for their condition onto them. For shame.

--------------------

InvisibleHiei
8======><=====8
Male User Gallery

#9607031 - 01/14/09 10:04 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

lines said:
Don't go to a psychiatrist, psychiatrists are not real doctors and psychiatry is of no help to anybody.

I think you do study medicine to become a psychiatrist, am I wrong?

anyway Vij, weed can be the cause imo, I wouldn't touch it for a while anyway.

Hope you get better!

--------------------
◄►۞◄►

OfflineDiaboleros
Devil's spawn

#9607468 - 01/14/09 11:45 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

In my experience shrooms can be both the cause and the solution of mental problems. I think they are way more likely to fix mental problems than to cause them. But then again, everything could be the cause of mental problems... a broken heart, problems at work, getting bullied in school, bad childhood, bad parents, etc...

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order