Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedoug_philips_420
the dude
Loc: IL.
A few questions regarding first mycelium
    #959418 - 10/14/02 10:23 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I have recently attempted PF Tek and my jars are starting to clonize. I've found answers to most of my questions in the FAQ but still have a few...

Do I need to add water to the colonizing jar?

I have the lids on tight, should I loosen them to let air in?

Thank you for your help.

DP

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
Re: A few questions regarding first mycelium [Re: doug_philips_420]
    #959425 - 10/14/02 10:27 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

1) Do not add water , if you got moisture content right all will be okay .
2) This is debateable ...... leave lids slightly loose , invert jars . This is to assist co2 escape , more than letting air in .
Good Luck

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Offlinekykeon
Dead wishes

Loc: A universe right next to ...
    #959431 - 10/14/02 10:30 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

In reply to:

Do I need to add water to the colonizing jar?

no.

In reply to:

I have the lids on tight, should I loosen them to let air in?

if u have a DRY vermiculite layer on top, you can loose them. if not, loosing the lids will result contams.

Kykeon
athens, greece

--------------------
The living ghost of Kykeon

Offlinedoug_philips_420
the dude
Loc: IL.
Re: A few questions regarding first mycelium [Re: kykeon]
    #959437 - 10/14/02 10:33 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I don't have a dry verm layer so should I leave the lids on tight? Will the CO2 build-up kill the mycelium? How do I get O2 in without contams?

Thanks.

DP

Invisibletripndicular

#959442 - 10/14/02 10:37 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I have no verm or filter in my jars , they are just fine , I loosen and tighten lids every other day . Have only 2 out of 20 jars that are questionable as to mycelium quality (possible contams ) . Just do not loosen so much lid is falling off , do not handle with unclean hands , do not breath on lids , store in clean place etc.........
I wipe jars before and after each handling .

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Offlinekykeon
Dead wishes

Re: A few questions regarding first mycelium [Re: tripndicular]
    #959452 - 10/14/02 10:43 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

well, i always put a verm layer on top and have no lids at all. i use a couple of alu foils instead.

if u leave loose the lid, then air exchange is possible - thats the purpose, right? bacteria can attack to the substrate in no time - except if you live in a place where there are no high temps and you keep them in a clean and sterile incubator. otherwise, you will get contams for sure. e.g. imho thats why 2 out of 20 jars are contaminated. my jars with verm layer are FREE to breathe, but bacteria cant pass thru the verm, for verm is a rock, so i have no contams at all :smile:

Kykeon
athens, greece 

--------------------

Invisibletripndicular

#959470 - 10/14/02 10:51 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

AZ ??????????????Pretty fn hot here my friend !

Cleanliness is next to Godliness , and had better come first !
Purity means singleness . God is One . The wand is not a wand if it has something sticking to it which is not an essential part of it self . If you wish to invoke Venus you will not succeed if there are traces of Saturn Mixed up with it !
Alister Crowley ....In Majick in practice and theory .
p.s. Verm layer or filter does significantly reduce chances of getting contams , but is not required to keep nasties out . The above philosophy is all I use . Along with surgical gloves , mask , hair cover , lots of elbow grease (cleaning lab) .

--------------------

Edited by tripndicular (10/14/02 10:53 AM)

InvisibleChibboleth
    #959539 - 10/14/02 11:20 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

One question remaining unanswered is, how important is it to allow the co2 to escape? If one were to leave the lids on tight throughout contamination, how big of a problem is that?

Invisibletripndicular

Re: A few questions regarding first mycelium [Re: Chibboleth]
    #959548 - 10/14/02 11:24 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I noticed faster fuller growth when allowed to vent c02 , during colonization (not contamination ) . C02 only becomes a big issue during fruiting stages . :cool: 

--------------------

Offlinekykeon
Dead wishes

#959725 - 10/14/02 12:54 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

well i dont disagree with u my friend. AZ is quite hot, okee :smile: :smile: i just mentioned what works for me :wink:

and yeap, i dont think that tight lids will make any harm to the mycelium, but it will slow down a liiiiiiitle bit the progress. After all, mycobags and shit like that are sealed tight... :wink:

Kykeon
athens, greece

--------------------

Invisibletripndicular

#959737 - 10/14/02 01:00 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Same here , I misread your statement ...... :tongue: I thought you were saying especially if you live in hot climate . Sorry did not mean to sound contradictive . :cool: Was just saying is not "needed" , just betters chances of not growing contams . I like that point of view about mycobags .........thay are sealed with no vents . :grin: 

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order