Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinethedh02
Stranger
Will this work?
    #9596884 - 01/12/09 06:24 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

My buddy told me that to dry my shrooms I can just put them in a ziplock bag with some desiccant overnight and thats it. Is this true?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleIcky
Chrome Gnome
Male
Loc: Bacon Road
Re: Will this work? [Re: thedh02]
    #9596976 - 01/12/09 06:35 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

You can use desiccant to dry shrooms, but it wont happen over night.

Offlinethedh02
Stranger
Re: Will this work? [Re: Icky]
    #9597057 - 01/12/09 06:49 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

oh ok... is it ok if the desiccant touches the mushies in the bag?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #9597064 - 01/12/09 06:50 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

NEVER put mushrooms in a plastic bag to dry them.  Place them on a tray and point a fan at them.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #9597105 - 01/12/09 06:58 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Fan dry like RR said and use desiccant to finish off the drying process if you want to make sure they're completely dry for storage. desiccant alone won't work because there is way too much water in the mushrooms for the desiccant to absorb it all. Saturated desiccant and partially dried mushrooms in a sealed container will turn into a moldy mess real fast.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

InvisibleIcky
Chrome Gnome
Male
Loc: Bacon Road
Re: Will this work? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9597144 - 01/12/09 07:05 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Don't let the desiccants touch the shrooms, do use a bag or any completely sealed container.

A fan and a tray are best.

edit Im snookered typos

Edited by Icky (01/12/09 07:18 PM)

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Will this work? [Re: Icky]
    #9597176 - 01/12/09 07:11 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Actually, you do want a sealed container for the desiccant part of the drying process, otherwise the desiccant will draw in moisture from the air and your mushrooms will never completely dry. Fan dry them until they are crunchy, then place them in a sealed container with desiccant. You don't want the desiccant touching the mushrooms, so a ziplock bag wouldn't be very practical. I usually put the desiccant in a small bowl and set the bowl on top of the mushrooms inside of a larger airtight container.

Desiccant isn't really neccessary, but I like to make sure my mushrooms are completely dry before storing them.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

OfflineBoris
Viking Warrior, of Valour
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: TX. Flag
Re: Will this work? [Re: FooMan]
    #9597245 - 01/12/09 07:26 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Any time I used a fan to slowly dry to shrooms (speed of drying compared to that of a dehydrator), I experienced VERY noticeable potency loss. Now, as soon as I harvest they go straight into the dehydrator. Potency is always excellent.

--------------------
AMU

Terence McKenna Said:
"We have to create culture, don't watch TV, don't read magazines, don't even listen to NPR. Create your own roadshow. The nexus of space and time where you are now is the most immediate sector of your universe, and if you're worrying about Michael Jackson or Bill Clinton or somebody else, then you are disempowered, you're giving it all away to icons, icons which are maintained by an electronic media so that you want to dress like X or have lips like Y. This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking. That is all cultural diversion, and what is real is you and your friends and your associations, your highs, your orgasms, your hopes, your plans, your fears. And we are told 'no', we're unimportant, we're peripheral. 'Get a degree, get a job, get a this, get a that.' And then you're a player, you don't want to even play in that game. You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that's being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world."

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Will this work? [Re: Boris]
    #9597268 - 01/12/09 07:29 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I use a dehydrator myself. I haven't heard of many people experiencing the same problem of potency loss with fan drying though. I've also heard a few people saying they stopped using their dehydrators because fan drying was actually working faster for them. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

OfflinePsychOfMSE
Out of the loop for too long
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Midwest
    #9597272 - 01/12/09 07:30 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I use furnace filters ziptied onto a box fan with shrooms sandwhiched in between in layers.

Turn the fan on, 24-48 hours later and your mushies are pretty cracker dry, throw them in a bag with desiccant and you're good to go!

--------------------
"I think it's impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves." - Orson Scott Card

Agar's Grain LC Tek <--- Never fool with honey water and contaminated LCs again!
Large_Dose's Ohmatic Monotub Tek
Monstermitch's LC/WBS/Monotub/Casing Tek

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Will this work? [Re: PsychOfMSE]
    #9597301 - 01/12/09 07:35 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Sounds like a good method. It would help cut down on the amount of spores blowing around.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

OfflineBasement Boy
Only two degrees of separation
 User Gallery

#9597312 - 01/12/09 07:36 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I like that idea of the two filters I have been thinking of something along the same line but was thinking some type of filter paper but why re create the wheel I will give that a go next time I have enough that I don't eat them all right off the cake.

--------------------
Don't Panic It's Organic :mushroom2:

OfflineBoris
Viking Warrior, of Valour
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: TX. Flag
Re: Will this work? [Re: FooMan]
    #9597404 - 01/12/09 07:51 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

FooMan said:
I've also heard a few people saying they stopped using their dehydrators because fan drying was actually working faster for them.

Lol, with the fan I had them in a food strainer, with a fan sitting on top of them on high. This process took like 2 days to get fully dry. With a dehydrator, it takes around 5-6 hrs... They must not have been using there's right. :lol:

--------------------
AMU

Terence McKenna Said:
"We have to create culture, don't watch TV, don't read magazines, don't even listen to NPR. Create your own roadshow. The nexus of space and time where you are now is the most immediate sector of your universe, and if you're worrying about Michael Jackson or Bill Clinton or somebody else, then you are disempowered, you're giving it all away to icons, icons which are maintained by an electronic media so that you want to dress like X or have lips like Y. This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking. That is all cultural diversion, and what is real is you and your friends and your associations, your highs, your orgasms, your hopes, your plans, your fears. And we are told 'no', we're unimportant, we're peripheral. 'Get a degree, get a job, get a this, get a that.' And then you're a player, you don't want to even play in that game. You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that's being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world."

InvisibleRedBeerd
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dirty south....
    #9597510 - 01/12/09 08:04 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Also, will ice melt work as a desiccant? It's got some other stuff in it and I think it's a rock salt base.... what do you guys think?

All the extra stuff in my ice melt...

--------------------

Offlineronjohn7779
Stranger

Re: Will this work? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9597740 - 01/12/09 08:39 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
NEVER put mushrooms in a plastic bag to dry them.  Place them on a tray and point a fan at them.
RR

I agree. Also make sure your mushrooms are totally dry before putting them in a plastic bag. If not they'll make all the surrounding mushrooms mushy and wet again. You could loose a good harvest in a couple of days and not notice it. After you put them in a bag you place silica jell packets inside if you like...I do.

I dry mine on my room's heat vent small mushrooms are crackle dry in a few hours. Bigger guys 50+ grams can take a couple of days (usually 1-2) to dry fully though.

--------------------
"Lennox Lewis, I'm coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!" An American Hero Iron Mike!

Edited by ronjohn7779 (01/12/09 08:41 PM)

OfflinePsychOfMSE
Out of the loop for too long
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Midwest
Re: Will this work? [Re: ronjohn7779]
    #9597777 - 01/12/09 08:44 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I got my drying method off of Alton Brown's show on Food network "Good Eats".  He uses this rig to make beef jerky.

--------------------
"I think it's impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves." - Orson Scott Card

Agar's Grain LC Tek <--- Never fool with honey water and contaminated LCs again!
Large_Dose's Ohmatic Monotub Tek
Monstermitch's LC/WBS/Monotub/Casing Tek

Offlineronjohn7779
Stranger

#9597785 - 01/12/09 08:46 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

PsychOfMSE said:
I got my drying method off of Alton Brown's show on Food network "Good Eats".  He uses this rig to make beef jerky.

LOL that guy knows his shit. I love that show.

--------------------
"Lennox Lewis, I'm coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!" An American Hero Iron Mike!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags