Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineCherk
Fashionable
Male User Gallery

Loc: International Flag
Re: Please vote on a potential change to the rating system [Re: Ythan]
    #9609498 - 01/14/09 04:57 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

damn ythan this is entirely gay

--------------------
I have considered such matters.

SIKE

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGetTheFuckOut
Long Gone.
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Please vote on a potential change to the rating system [Re: Cherk]
    #9609557 - 01/14/09 05:04 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------
<
I have logged in this once so that I can set the "last seen" feature up.  let the faggots flow forth into OTD and have it.  Its funny how they all grew nuts after I left.  I'm not here, I'm not reading, but I urge you all to keep melting down over me.  I know, I hurt alot of people, and they deserved it.  epic win for me, epic fail for you. 

ythan, you rock dude.  i feel that my time at the shroomery was very positive and enjoyable, but this site is no longer for me. im not mad or upset or disappointed, i just want no part in a pg rated faggot festival.
<

OfflineCherk
Fashionable
Male User Gallery

Loc: International Flag
Re: Please vote on a potential change to the rating system [Re: GetTheFuckOut]
    #9609672 - 01/14/09 05:21 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

ythan is cool
i mean he's alright
its not like im gay

:gameover:

--------------------
I have considered such matters.

SIKE

InvisibleD_S_G
the officialOTDtard,yep
 User Gallery

Loc: shitting on Anno's tomato...
Re: Please vote on a potential change to the rating system [Re: Cherk]
    #9609698 - 01/14/09 05:24 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

:awebig:

--------------------

Invisibleidiotek
 User Gallery

Re: Please vote on a potential change to the rating system [Re: johnm214]
    #9611509 - 01/14/09 10:00 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

johnm214 said:
you don't understand.

Any post re: ratings or the ratings system that allows 'bad ratings' becomes a contest to see who cares least about their ratings.  To play you must proclaim your indiference to those little blue shrooms often and strongly, and you must bemoan those who mention them or the system that allows them.  Bonus points if you can find someone who cares about ratings and can demonstrate how much less you care about ratings than them.

By taking an opinion in the matter you've crept closer to caring about ratings and thus aren't doing well compared to the competition.  You should say "I don't care, ratings are stupid.  Who cares about ratings, leave it the way it is and let the sisies complain".  Good Luck!

(and yeah, I agree the proffered system favors new folks, that's why i proposed the threshold before your ratings are weighted to give them time to normalize with the average user and make any deviatios meaningful.  Obviously its arbitrary, but I think its easy to understand and better than simple weighting.  Course the system we have now is fine as well.  Ratings seem more like a social thing anyways.  BTW, who are these complainers that keep being mentioned?  Who is complaining about rating or the given system?)

So what's your point, exactly?  Are you trying to be witty or something?

Essentially, you've just admitted that you don't know shit about the entire debate in the first place.  You don't know anything about ratings or the fact that a LOT of people have complained about the OTD rating rapings, you didn't know that ratings can't be given until after a set minimum of posts, and after all that preachy criticism of not caring about ratings you still insinuate that you don't think that ratings are important. 

What the fuck is your point?  You're just a windbag.

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
Re: Please vote on a potential change to the rating system [Re: idiotek]
    #9612187 - 01/14/09 11:50 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Just an observation that people that claim to totally not care about ratings seem to spend a large amount of time proclaiming the fact when simple silence could suffice.  I just don't get the big deal about a proposed change and why that has to suggest some inappropriate level of concern over your ratings.

I'm aware of the fifty post limit, but that doesn't affect my opinion.  I alos agree, like you say, that ratings aren't that important but there fine and a good feature.  They're a social thing- you can thank someone for their post or say you disagree with them and their an asshole.  I just don't think it really affects the way people read posts is all.

And yeah, I'm aware of the complaining posts, I'm saying that I don't think they're too numerous, though my opinion isn't that important since I don't deal with them or see the support tickets, or that this new system will have any effect on that.

And in the end, I don't see what the percieved motivations for the change has to do with the merits of it.  If its a good idea its good whether or not whinny people benifit- and likewise if its not.  I like it so long as people with one rating aren't given more importance on average than someone like Seuss or Entropymancer or other folks that frequent here and contribute a lot.  I think that people that frequent the boards likely have lower ratings than the person who's recieved one rating- likely a welcom rating.  And I think the former should have a greater influence.

Your whining about people whinging about people whining comment is spot on, but it still seems strange that people who don't care about ratings seem to jump at the chance to proclaim such evertime they come up in  website admin n feedback.  Seems like they are quite concerned with ratings- only their concern is to be percieved as not caring about them.  Same as the guy whining over their 0 shroom rating- just a different end of the spectrum.

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery
Loc: Ohio Flag
Re: Please vote on a potential change to the rating system [Re: johnm214]
    #9612380 - 01/15/09 12:50 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

But I don't act like I care or don't care about ratings, but I've made it clear silence DOESN'T suffice.
Why is this?
Because I think the weighted vs. unweighted won't resolve the problem that, in my mind, the Shroomery is attempting to fix.

--------------------
!

Invisibledutchmushroom
mushroom invader
Male User Gallery

Loc: Outer Space
Re: Please vote on a potential change to the rating system [Re: jazzillion]
    #9612436 - 01/15/09 01:05 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I voted for the weighted average, looks like most of us did

--------------------
"Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand says: don't you see? Gotta make it some how, on the dreams you still believe, Don't give it up, you've got an empty cup, only love can fill, only love can fill" < Grateful Dead!

The bus came by and I got on, and thats when it all began

GROWLIGHT KIT, 250w HPS Digital ballast, + Enhanced Spectrum bulb and Reflector Sale Or Trade!

InvisibleCalifornia
A E S T H E T I C S A T A N
 User Gallery

Loc: H A U N T E D H O U S E Flag
    #9612474 - 01/15/09 01:17 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Ythan said:
if the person who rated you has zero shrooms themselves, their rating for you is counted once.

unrated users would be slighted.

InvisibleTrippinTeddy
Lost Voyager
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Returning Video Tapes
Re: Please vote on a potential change to the rating system [Re: California]
    #9612775 - 01/15/09 03:29 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

This debate as a whole is totally retarded.

Seriously??? Ratings on an internet forum?

Jesus fucking Christ people, listen to your selfs. Weighted or not, you will still get raped, people will still throw hissy fits because they are insecure, emotionally fragile people. Exposing peoples petty insecurities is one of my favorite past time. People make the most inane shit important. Pushing a person over the edge over such a petty thing is actually doing them a favor. Maybe they will learn not to take life so fucking serious, and then maybe they just might release the death grip on their assholes, and loosen up.

Once again, entire subject... FUCKING STUPID.

--------------------
ToiletDuk said:
For the record, I would show you my butthole but you would fall down and worship it as a God and you would give up everything to roam the land converting the heathens by fire and sword. Millions would die. No, no the cost is too great. I cannot.

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: Please vote on a potential change to the rating system [Re: TrippinTeddy]
    #9612927 - 01/15/09 05:06 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

So... which way did you vote?

--------------------
I know... that just the smallest
                                                part of the world belongs to me
You know... I'm not a blind man
                                                    but truth is the hardest thing to see

Invisibleold mushmellow
mushmaker
Male User Gallery

Loc: the dome
    #9613241 - 01/15/09 07:40 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Let's go with only trade ratings. Ditch the weighted idea, noobs will be murdered if they accidently find the OTD'ers.

InvisibleSrirachi
Mold Hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Fare Thee Well.
Re: Please vote on a potential change to the rating system [Re: old mushmellow]
    #9613831 - 01/15/09 11:01 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Most of the people who get ratings raped by OTD have already become a burden to the rest of the site with their posts.  Sometimes mods and admins move threads for the sole purpose of fucking the OP.  We're sort of like the maggots who consume the rotting flesh of the shroomery.  We get fed, the Pub doesn't die of sepsis. It's a win-win.

It's very simple really.  If you'd like to post in OTD, just be aware that you're making a commitment to us.

I think the reason Ythair and the other admins tolerate OTD is twofold: We have our role to play in the overall health of the site; we also represent a facet of the psychedelic experience quite well.

InvisibleThin White Duke
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #9614064 - 01/15/09 11:42 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

When is this being implemented?

InvisibleDickhead
2 Times
Female User Gallery

Loc: groin
Re: Please vote on a potential change to the rating system [Re: Srirachi]
    #9614102 - 01/15/09 11:47 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

:Clap:

I would suggest that OTD 'aint entirely this 'gang entity'  It's not a corner that is separate from the rest of the site..

Plenty reg's in OTD travel the site and make some of the best members.  I would bet a few OTD crocodilles are puppets of members that OTD haters admire deeply. 

As far as ratings... Whatever..  My saintly mother taught me to take people at face value.

That is the Value of the way they treat you, and the way you first hand see them treat others.

Guess what....  you can read all their posts..  Make up your own mind.

--------------------
Multiplied

InvisiblePat Bateman, VP
Dr. House's Inspiration
Female User Gallery

Loc: Inconceivable opulence
    #9614820 - 01/15/09 01:53 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Giving in to the butthurtzes?

:nonono:

--------------------
Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?
No, says the man in Washington; it belongs to the poor.
No, says the man in the Vatican; it belongs to God.
No, says the man in Moscow; it belongs to everyone.

I rejected those answers. Instead, I chose something
different. I chose the impossible. I chose...
Rapture.
-  Andrew Ryan

Formula: 0

Offlinewrestler_az
PsiLLy BiLLy
Male User Gallery

Loc: day dreams of a mad man
    #9617497 - 01/15/09 08:40 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

this poll is invalid, as there is no STAL option.

im not going to vote, because i honestly dont care. but i would like to point out that most (if not all) of the people getting rating raped deserve it for one reason or another. weather they are crying about a negative rating, or a noob who wandered into the wrong forum... they got what was coming to them.

i propose that people who bitch about their ratings should get a permanent 0, and their rating privileges revoked.

--------------------
how's your WOW?

Edited by yageman (04/20/06 4:20 PM) 

Offline0xYg3n
topdawg
 User Gallery

Re: Please vote on a potential change to the rating system [Re: wrestler_az]
    #9619463 - 01/16/09 06:28 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

:rockon:

:hug:

InvisibleDickhead
2 Times
Female User Gallery

Loc: groin
Re: Please vote on a potential change to the rating system [Re: wrestler_az]
    #9619534 - 01/16/09 07:00 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Finally!!! 

A voice of reason!

--------------------
Multiplied

OfflineCosmicFunGuy
ॐconsciousnessॐ
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ∞
    #9619718 - 01/16/09 08:11 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

i don't think it matters as far as general ratings go... average or weighted average, they really don't mean shit. while a good many people deserve their bad rating (or good rating), it could've been someone who just stumbled into OTD unknowingly. and who cares if they get pissed off it's just a rating that shows how liked you are. if this is a popularity contest, or thats what you're after on a website about psychedelics get the fuck out..

Quote:

Ythan said:

Quote:

Ferris said:
Deleting ratings from banned users is probably also appropriate.

Personally I think this makes sense, but people have voted against it in the past. We could take a new poll though if opinions have changed.

Thanks everyone who's voting and discussing this.

banned user ratings should be deleted.

for example i have 14 good trade ratings and one bad trade rating. my one bad trade rating is from a user who is banned. he was banned because of a series sketchy and sometimes illegal (or at least against shroomery rules) trades. when i tried to expose him for it he gave me a bad rating then got banned for it. yet all i did was send everything i promised in a timely manner to the banned user and exposed a liar/conartist who was trying to take advantage of members and put them in legal risk, what do i get? people thinking i jipped someone?

to most people it wouldn't matter, they'd overlook that one flaw in my rating because i have a good trading record otherwise, but it has cost me trades before, because someone would rather trade with a 5 trade shrooms user.

i understand someone could've actually cheated a trade with someone that was banned for other reasons (i.e. - getting out of hand in the pub) so maybe deleting trade ratings doesn't work.. but trade ratings should at least be tackled on a situational basis.

general ratings it doesn't matter if you delete ratings from banned users.. it shouldn't seem to have much effect either way.

--------------------

♫ ♪ In the garden of many fields, there is no me or you. There is no right or wrong. There is no up or down. There is no black or white. Everyone is the plow man. Everyone is the seed. Everyone harvests and everyone yields. In the garden of many fields, everyone is one with one love and one love is one with everyone. ♪ ♫
lyrics from: Transglobal Underground - Eyeway Souljah (from Psychic Karaoke)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag