Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSynesthetic
Ratings go in journal.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Tooele, UT
Re: Media Antibiotic [Re: libertaire]
    #9586609 - 01/10/09 10:57 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

*confused* I'm the one trying to say that he should do what he wants if he thinks it's a good idea. I was just trying to say in that post that I, personally, would not mess with antibiotics.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelibertaire
liberator
Male

Re: Media Antibiotic [Re: Synesthetic]
    #9586625 - 01/10/09 11:00 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Nor would I synesthetic.  You at least gave some semblance of reasons in your response, I was mainly referring to the other responses.

Offlinewtblife
Vash teh Stampede
Male

Re: Media Antibiotic [Re: libertaire]
    #9586640 - 01/10/09 11:01 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I might not even do it, but currently I don't see a reason to not experiment with antibiotics and what not to learn a bit more about them.

By the way, I really do appreciate you sorta backing me up on this ;D

--------------------
:drysmash:
One per customer please.

Edited by wtblife (01/10/09 11:03 PM)

OfflineP.Menace
Contradicting the Status Quo
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Let Me See Potato Salad!!...
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Media Antibiotic [Re: wtblife]
    #9586660 - 01/10/09 11:04 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

report back:popcorn:

--------------------

http://www.sporeworksgallery.com/Cubensae/Psilocybe_cubensis_Menace

roby000 said: thats true a shotgun is almost like a college degree in a sense that if you show it to the right person at the right time you could make a lot of money.

Offlinewtblife
Vash teh Stampede
Male

Re: Media Antibiotic [Re: P.Menace]
    #9586669 - 01/10/09 11:05 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

P.Menace said:
report back:popcorn:

Will do :tongue2:

Still looking for more insight on this though, that's why I made the topic :laugh:

--------------------
One per customer please.

Edited by wtblife (01/10/09 11:08 PM)

OfflineP.Menace
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #9586678 - 01/10/09 11:08 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

keep track of cost... pf jars costed me 17 cents each to make.

--------------------

roby000 said: thats true a shotgun is almost like a college degree in a sense that if you show it to the right person at the right time you could make a lot of money.

Offlinewtblife
Vash teh Stampede
Male

#9586695 - 01/10/09 11:11 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

At first I thought you meant the actual jars and I was really confused... What kind of jars did you use?

Just noticed your title XD
Quote:

--------------------
One per customer please.

Edited by wtblife (01/10/09 11:15 PM)

OfflineP.Menace
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #9586728 - 01/10/09 11:16 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

the title states truth... end of story..... i do thing differently because i can

yep 17 cents for the substrate in each jar AND sterilizing
this went no matter what size jar cause i didnt want to break it down to 1/4 pts and 1/2 pints and 3/4 pints (12 oz jars) and pints

--------------------

Offlinewtblife
Vash teh Stampede
Male

#9586740 - 01/10/09 11:19 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

That's the way I go about most things :P

Whether it works or not, doing things the 'normal' way is just boring...

I sort of agree about me using the antibiotic being a waste of money, but it is mainly just for the hell of it for maybe half a batch. I pull money out of my ass when I need it so I don't care much. I've been spending like crazy lately just cause I have the money >.<

Oh and the money goes to Sporeworks so why not ;P

--------------------
One per customer please.

Edited by wtblife (01/10/09 11:43 PM)

Invisiblearchivist
5-HT
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #9587131 - 01/11/09 12:37 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

The effectiveness of antibiotics in BRF cakes seems like it would be difficult to prove unless you're willing to drop a decent amount of cash to create a a statistically significant data set.  How do you propose to perform the experiment?  Intentionally inject contaminated syringes into antibiotic-treated cakes vs. untreated cakes?

Do you have a PC or autoclave to ensure proper sterilization?  Without one there seems like the initial sterility of each jar of substrate would be in question.  Then there is sterile inoculation procedure -- you would need to make sure both the test group and control groups are inoculated the same way without introducing "unintentional" contamination.

You would also have to use an isolate in order to mitigate genetic diversity in MS inoculations.  Some strains of mycelium could simply be hardier and more resistant to competitors.

Just make sure whatever you do is documented and repeatable, and it won't be a waste of time.  After all, to disprove a hypothesis is often just as valuable as proving one. :thumbup:

--------------------

Proud supporter of the canning jar industry.

Offlinewtblife
Vash teh Stampede
Male

Re: Media Antibiotic [Re: archivist]
    #9587253 - 01/11/09 01:10 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Well the main reason I wanted to try it was because of the description that Sporeworks gives for the antibiotic. It says it stimulates mycelium growth which in my mind sounds like a possible increase in the colonization rate. That is why I have been trying to figure out if that statement actually means anything or if it just says that because having the antibiotic to help fight off contaminations might help the mycelium grow.

Some of the sites selling substrate jars seem to have extra things in them and what I'm wondering is if the antibiotic has anything of nutritious value for the mycelium. I know people don't usually continue using BRF cakes when trying to produce greater yields, but I don't have much space and I still want to use the ingredients I already have (I'd feel like they went to waste otherwise). If I can find something else to add in with them while keeping it newb friendly, why not? :P

The antibiotic may be a bit pricey, but again that is just sort of for the hell of it cause I love Sporeworks and hey I wouldn't mind having a few of those vials :tongue2:

If anyone has a recommendation of what they think I should do with the BRF cakes that could possibly be a little bit more interesting than the standard PF tek, I'd love to hear it! :thumbup: Whether it is a good use of money or not I don't really care, just trying to stay amused :crazy2:

--------------------
One per customer please.

Edited by wtblife (01/11/09 01:43 AM)

Offlinekoopa_troopa
the fun guy
Male User Gallery

#9681801 - 01/26/09 11:08 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

i agree with ol P.Men on this one. Doesnt seem applicable to anything much more than media.. but what im interested in is maybe uses for large LCs. I myself dont F with brf or cakes any more..

Spawn bags all the way baby!

Next grow will incorperate untold amounts of substrate bags (similar to the amazing Wronguy Bags TM.:tongue: and liquid cultures galore

just bought 2 more 24 qt presto PCs to bring the total sterilizing capacity to an astonishing 3 PC, 72 qt capacity bahaha.. will be churning out substrate bags like a Nike myco sweat shop :grin:

other peices of the puzzle i acquired today:
-a socorex injection gun ala six tango
-a case of Gallon jars from fungi perfecti for HUGE LCs 
  - filter disks, plunger and syringe filters also      odes  to old hand Agar

.. was wondering if this agar antibiotic would be applicable/condusive to huge M/D LC's due to their supposed ability of making a media more conducive to colonization while preventing bacteria

Any thoughts on this?

--------------------

Koopa Out
OfThisWorld,SmilingDownOnOurs: BirsdEyeView,NeverNewLife,PastsFastAsCars

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Media Antibiotic [Re: koopa_troopa]
    #9681914 - 01/26/09 11:33 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

It would work in a pf cake if you had problems with bacteria. Gentamycin sulfate is autoclavable.  However, that's the reason we sterilize the cakes. Antibiotics are only effective against bacteria, not molds, and molds are the main contaminant we worry about when growing.

Antibiotics are used with agar when isolating or cloning wild fruits from outdoors that are rife with bacteria.  The antibiotic gives the mushroom mycelium a chance to outrun the bacteria by slowing down the bacteria a little bit.  My experience with Gentamycin sulfate is that it doesn't prevent bacteria, but only hinders it somewhat, allowing the mushroom mycelium to get beyond it on a petri dish so we can make a quick transfer.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck