Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAppalachianGuy
Learning
Male User Gallery

Loc: US
Re: Failed PF tek newbie [Re: German Kahuna]
    #9236046 - 11/13/08 08:19 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I'm not trying to be rude, but another suggestion I haven't heard yet is to maybe also try really cleaning you inoculation area beforehand. Also take a shower and wear clean clothes... Or stay naked after you shower? :grin: If you do it in the bathroom, I've been told to take a shower and then wait about 15 minutes because some of the bad stuff will stick to the heavier particles in the air... Just a suggestion...

--------------------
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." ~ George Carlin

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinephaseflux
Stranger than most

#9236103 - 11/13/08 08:40 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

German Kahuna said:
Uhm, what on earth are you using to cover the inocluation holes?? Painter tape? That looks neither sterile nor as if it really covers the holes properly. You should use a large piece of (sterilized) tinfoil that covers a good part of the top of the jar all around.

If he's using a dry verm layer he doesn't even need to cover them at all.

Offlinemudkip
I heard U Like Me!
Male

Re: Failed PF tek newbie [Re: phaseflux]
    #9236282 - 11/13/08 09:21 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I hope spores 101 isn't responsable, I got a syringe coming on the 18th from them.  You should post pics of the new ones as well.

--------------------

Offlinejohnnyk
Stranger
Re: Failed PF tek newbie [Re: mudkip]
    #9236361 - 11/13/08 09:41 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

well, the second time i did not use tape at all to cover the holes, and for those pictures, i had foil over the lids, but took it off to take the pictures.
the tape suggestion came from the RR video, and to be honest, I dont really think that medical tape exposed to the air is going to be much more contaminate free.
also, i dont shower because the way i made my glove box, i put bags leading into it, and i use rubber gloves, which i sterilise before hand (iso alcohol and with surface steriliser) and also i spray the entire box with steriliser prior. so basically, once i get my gloved hands in there, there isnt really any air exchange, and in fact, my box is much more closed off than the RR video, which he even flames his needle outside the box, whereas I do it inside...
I didn't take any pictures this time around ( I through the jars in boiling water just this morning to kill the contam), but basically after 3 days, I was seeing green/dark/yellow spots at the inoculation point.
I dont want to blame spores101 or anything, I mean, this is my first/second time, but I really feel like my procedure is good...
These were for  a TED strain

Offlinejohnnyk
Stranger
Re: Failed PF tek newbie [Re: johnnyk]
    #9236395 - 11/13/08 09:46 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Out of curiosity, could it be due to the substrate? Is this the same result of the brf not being preservative free for example (it is..) or not being sterilised fully (steamed for 1h30). Just wondering what kind of results those 2 things (not using proper brf and it not being properly sterilised)...

Invisibledjmako7
Antitransubstantiationalist
 User Gallery

Loc: A shady spot under a tree
    #9236406 - 11/13/08 09:48 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I lol'd at how the tape is on there that is very careless. At least take of the burs made from the drill bit to make it flat.

--------------------

Offlinecmac37
Stranger than Life
Male

#9236410 - 11/13/08 09:49 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

johnnyk , I also failed my first attempt with PF TEK. Make sure you let your jars completely cool. Mine were slightly warm, Mistake one. Also make sure you order spores from a reputable dealer. My second attempt failed and that is the only thing (spores) that it could have been. I have learned my lesson.

cmac

Offlinejohnnyk
Stranger
Re: Failed PF tek newbie [Re: djmako7]
    #9236446 - 11/13/08 09:56 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

djmako7 said:
I lol'd at how the tape is on there that is very careless. At least take of the burs made from the drill bit to make it flat.

hehe ya, well I threw out those jars, and the new ones i made i didnt make that same mistake and hammered the holes the other way :smile:
At any rate, the tape doesnt seem to be the real issue since the second attempt failed and no tape was used...

Offlinecmac37
Stranger than Life
Male

#9236567 - 11/13/08 10:23 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

On my second attempt I left the tape on half and removed it from the other half. From I understand the layer of dry verm makes a barrier to keep out contams. So in reality what difference does the tape make?

Offlinepachanoi
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#9236671 - 11/13/08 10:47 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Dont know if its the proper way but I flame my needle red hot over a gas stove then I dip it in alcohol to cool it.It's all done very quickly. I dont use any kind of box or hood just lysol and i have about a 95% success rate

--------------------
all my posts are truly false or falsely true. Even that.

o beautiful for smoggy skies insectisided grain, for stripmined mountains majesty, above the asphalt plane, America America man sheds his waste on thee, and hides the pines with billboard signs from sea to oily sea -George Carlin R.I.P.

Offlineyeahbuddyyyyyyyy
Stranger
Male

#9237281 - 11/13/08 01:28 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

syringe came from spores101

Buy from a different vendor.  I have not had a jar fail since I switched from spores101 to the hawks eye.

Invisiblecreekfreek
Certified phunologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right about here
    #9237329 - 11/13/08 01:38 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

johnnyk said:
which i sterilise before hand (iso alcohol and with surface steriliser) and also i spray the entire box with steriliser prior.
which he even flames his needle outside the box, whereas I do it inside...

DONT DO THAT!!!!!
You could blow yourself up.
It has happened to people on this forum.

Invisiblecreekfreek
Certified phunologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right about here
Re: Failed PF tek newbie [Re: creekfreek]
    #9237337 - 11/13/08 01:39 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Oh yeah and use a shroomery vender for your spores.

Offlinemudkip
I heard U Like Me!
Male

Re: Failed PF tek newbie [Re: yeahbuddyyyyyyyy]
    #9237347 - 11/13/08 01:42 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Wouln't flaming it in the box draw in air and possably contams?  Not sure just wondering.  But the fact that in as little as 3 days you're seeing that right where you inoculated is really strange.  I hope this doesn't happen to me iv spend so much time preparing for my current grow!

--------------------

OfflineCaptain_Tripps
Stranger

Re: Failed PF tek newbie [Re: gofudgeyourself]
    #9563949 - 01/07/09 11:33 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

gofudgeyourself said:
spores101 seems like a reputable vendor, probably not the syringe.

no fuck them. they sell shitty syringes.
i got one of there syringes and ejected all the water on to about 100 of my microscope slides. i thoughouly examined the slide for spores. 0 spores.  not a single fucking one. they stole my money.

Offlinejohnny_poke
Brownian movement

Loc: Europe
Re: Failed PF tek newbie [Re: Captain_Tripps]
    #9583826 - 01/10/09 03:11 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Captain_Tripps said:
Quote:

gofudgeyourself said:
spores101 seems like a reputable vendor, probably not the syringe.

no fuck them. they sell shitty syringes.
i got one of there syringes and ejected all the water on to about 100 of my microscope slides. i thoughouly examined the slide for spores. 0 spores.  not a single fucking one. they stole my money.

Oh shit man, that's terrible!
I'm not even 1/4 way thru my first grow, so take my words as such,  but from what I can gather (and from the way the OP described his procedure) it seems likely to be a questionable syringe. Since the contam appears at the innoc. site you can be almost certain the prob is the syringe or (as already suggested) the needle itself had trich spores land on it before inoculation. This second option seems less likely because a well disinfected glove box was used. Try another spore vendor for SURE.

--------------------
[quote]But what our scientist does not realize is that every time he makes a measurement, the Flying Spaghetti Monster is there changing the results with His Noodly Appendage.[/quote]

Invisiblenw_shroomy
NoN-stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Failed PF tek newbie [Re: johnny_poke]
    #9584018 - 01/10/09 03:34 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I would put my money that it was spores 101...
Class action suit anybody?:hehehe:

--------------------
Spawn Ratio Calculator
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/7803673#7803673
I only grow edibles.Any info I give ONLY applies to gourmet mushrooms.

Offlinesirjeth
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Failed PF tek newbie [Re: nw_shroomy]
    #9584083 - 01/10/09 03:42 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, try taking a class action suit and saying that your LEGAL spores are not working once you get to the ILLEGAL stage... if you want to be arrested.

Also, spores101 America is not reputable but I have not heard bad things from the Canadian store.

And also, you say you don't see the difference between tapes? Medical tape is micropore tape, meaning it lets in air flow etc. but keeps out bacteria and contamination. With whatever tape you were using there is a large chance that it doesn't quite work that way. With the dry verm layer this shouldn't matter, though.

PS : Looks like the syringe. :P

--------------------

Edited by sirjeth (01/10/09 03:45 PM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags