Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
Re: What is your LEAST favourite genus? [Re: German Kahuna]
    #9581588 - 01/10/09 06:11 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

German Kahuna said:
Scleroderma (citrinum).  Nowadays they are just getting on my nerves, because they are everywhere. I can't go hunting without seeing them everywhere, really. They are a pest.

This is what I was referring to when I mentioned fairness.  I don't like monocultures of any type, especially lawns (even though those are artificially created).  Natural monocultures really get on my nerves.  It's like, "Why can't you greedy bastards give someone else a chance?"  In my opinion, not only is biodiversity more aesthetically appealing, but it looks like everyone is getting along instead of some bully hogging up the resources.

I much prefer some quiet, unobtrusive mushroom that rarely fruits, as if to say, "Hey, would you fellows mind if I get a bite to eat?"  than some loud, overbearing braggart of the substrate screaming, "HEY, LOOK AT ME.  I'M EVERYWHERE AND THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT!!!"

I don't know.  Am I anthropomorphizing too much here?  :crazy2:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: What is your LEAST favourite genus? [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #9581590 - 01/10/09 06:12 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Selfish bastards anyways.  :rant:

--------------------

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
    #9581626 - 01/10/09 06:36 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Yes, but then again I think that no organism is really that selfish if the natural balance hadn't been fucked up by us humans. If I look at many of the forests today, they can't be what they used to be thousands of years in the past. Forests are considered part of an industry nowadays and though it has gotten better here, because people came to realize that monocultures are bad, you still see a lot of the results of coniferous monocultures here in Germany. I must say that I am pleased to see this changing, though. I see mushrooms growing in these parts now that had been long gone 10 to 15 years ago. They are coming back, because we are radically getting rid of monocultures. That's a development I want to see more of.
And I really want to go back to Oregon and California. I love the primeval forests. I want to show them to my son before they are all logged.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: What is your LEAST favourite genus? [Re: German Kahuna]
    #9581642 - 01/10/09 06:51 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

:crying:  Before they're gone.

Funny you should mention the coniferous monocultures, GK.  I was thinking about them when I posted.  Where I live there are whole tracts of them planted in neat symmetry, as if that is a forest.  Guess what kind of understory they promote?  Nothing.  The forest floor is bare, including mycoflora.  Some forest, eh?  Invasive plants are the result of human intervention in nature.  They are ugly and destructive.

A word about Scleroderma citrinum.  Here we have few of them and sometimes they play host to Boletus parasiticus.  A forest filled with Scleroderma citrinum would turn me off too.

--------------------

OfflineBeege
gatherer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Germany Flag
    #9581802 - 01/10/09 08:30 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I find all of them fascinating.

But the clathrus species in my garden is pretty smelly  :puke:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom