Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, Coir, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinehyper_dermic
stranger withcandy

Loc: the land of excess
cakes to caseings you convinced me.. question tho.
    #957566 - 10/13/02 07:35 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

ok this is my 1st grow...

ive got a few cakes doing nicely... i just picked a few aborts... blah blah...
anyways, i wanted to start with cakes cuz they are idoit proof, to get me familiar with growing mushies....
after i take my 1st print/syringe i feel i will have enuff 1st hand expirence to start doing caseings....
ive read the faq lots and ive read other people's posts....
the only part that i have a question about is the terrarium setup.....

can i use my cake setup for caseings?
i have an automated setup (perlite for humidity + coolmist for air exchange+humitidy) i just set and forget, no need to mist or any of that crap (i commute back and forth from NYC almost every day, im not around enuff to mist and fan by hand all the time)

now from what ive been reading people usually stick their caseings in a large rubbermaid with NO perlite.... just misting the caseing and the walls of the terrarium a few times a day.....
will my perlite/coolmist setup be ok? im afraid the humidity may be a bit too high....
what problems could that cause?
does anyone else have an automated setup for caseings like this?

and is an incubator nessicary for caseings?
right now i have my jars stored in a dark rubbermaid with no heater or anything, its like 70degrees in my room i know thats a bit cold, but it just takes longer to colonize... is that ok with caseings?

im planning to use Coir with verm as a caseing......

thanks again....

[hyp]

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinebluefoot
journeyman

Loc: Mother Earth
Re: cakes to caseings you convinced me.. question tho. [Re: hyper_dermic]
    #957677 - 10/13/02 08:14 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Okay, for your first question... Yes, you can use the same setup that you used before.  You actually have a pretty coherent sounding setup for a first time grower.  As far as the perlite goes, in your case I would toss it.  A cool mist humidifier can supply plenty of humidity if it's sized right.  Perlite is good when you're first starting out, but it's a little too friendly to microbes and besides, there's so many better and more consistent ways of supplying humidity to your mushies.  You might as well ultilize your technology and give your mushies the best you can. :smile:

As far as the humidity ever being to high, yes this can cause a few slight problems.  Too high of humidity can lead to standing drops of water on your growing medium which is asking for contamination.  That's just another reason to drop the perlite.  A humidifier should supply plenty of humidity and fresh air as long as it's sized right.  I'm an ultrasonic man myself, and have yet to find anything as carefree or that does near as good a job. 

Now about the incubator.  Incubators are totally an option designed for speeding up the colonization process and to help in providing a temperature drop to help the fun guys to know when to pin.  No, you don't have to have them at all.  It's all a matter of whether or not you want that extra bit of time shaved off your growing process.  They're very easy and cost-efficient to make and I personally find them very usefull.  I incubate all of my vegetative stage substrate.  The only possible down sides are a slight loss in moisture and a somewhat increased risk of contamination due to the fact that some kinds grow quicker at a slightly higher temperature.  It's all up to you.  No incubator at all will work just fine with casings.

Good luck in your mushy ventures. 

--------------------
peace
bluefoot

"There is more in us than we know. If we can be made to see it, perhaps, for the rest of our lives, we will be unwilling to settle for less." - Kurt Hahn

Offlinebowling-name
sleuth

Loc: Mirror in the Sky
    #957697 - 10/13/02 08:29 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

The coolmist set up should give you enough humidity as long as the water content of your casings is correct when you make them. Casings create their own humidity and keep the mycelium moist. Excessive humidity can lead to increased contams (especially green mold when combined with poor air circulation), a less porous fruiting surface (reducing yields), and can discourage pinheads from maturing. It is important to lower your humidity to 85%-92% when you are fruiting with casings; the rest of the time its OK to have the humidity closer to 95% (I notice problems at 100%, other people on here do not).

If you can incubate your casing at a higher temp (85 degrees or thereabouts) you will reduce your chances of contams as the mycelium will run through the casing much faster. If you require automation, invest in an aquarium heater, sumberge it in a jar of water, placed in a rubbermaid; BAM! Instant incubator. Also some bulk substrates (e.g. manure) generate a significant amount of their own humidity and heat making them ideal choices for those without a lot of time. Do a search for bulk neglect for more on this alternative.

Apologies for the redundancy; sometimes I'm too slow on the draw when it comes to posting...bluefoot is right about the raised temperature creating an environment where certain contams can proliferate; the goal with incubation temps is to get the mycelium to eat through the casing more rapidly, outrunning any competitor molds/nematodes/etc

Edited by bowling-name (10/13/02 08:36 PM)

Offlinehyper_dermic
stranger withcandy

Re: cakes to caseings you convinced me.. question tho. [Re: bluefoot]
    #957802 - 10/13/02 09:05 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

thank you very much guys, you were both very informative and well mannered!
i cant wait till these cakes expire so i can start on some caseings :smile:
its people like you that have gotten me this far.....

thanks again!
[hyp]

OfflineGreen_Velvet
Super Human HipHop Head
Loc: La La Land
    #957972 - 10/13/02 10:00 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I found that the cool mist alone did not provide enough humidity. I added small trays or cups half full of moistened perlite until I got it just right. My advice to you is to start with just the cool mist, and if that provides enough humidity fine. If not start adding perlite. You can also add and remove the perlite based on what stages of development your shrooms are in. If they are prepinning/pinning perhaps you will have to add more perlite, then when they start cropping perhaps you will remove some. Trial and error is the way to go.

Offlinehyper_dermic
stranger withcandy

Re: cakes to caseings you convinced me.. question tho. [Re: Green_Velvet]
    #959275 - 10/14/02 09:54 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

yea i think for starters im going to keep on goin with perlite + coolmist
apparently it doesnt affect the caseing too much if the humidity is too high....

with the size of my tubs (i have a cool mist powering 2 large tubs)
i dont think the coolmist alone is going to hack it.....
im not worried about condensation cuz i NEVER get condensation at all inside my terrariums
not on the walls
not on the roof
nothing
nadda
ever....
the cakes seem to be pinning and fruiting just fine tho.....
i have a funny feeling that my setup is just pefect for caseings as is :smile:
only time will tell i guess.....

[hyp] 

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, Coir, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation