Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Mycobags

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Whole Grains and air exchange
    #957180 - 10/13/02 04:39 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I read in the faq where it say that grains need some air exchange and i was wondering exactly why this was the case. I have used the pftek with no air exchange whatsoever with great success and i was wondering what made grains so different. Why do they need air exchange?

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Whole Grains and air exchange [Re: z@z.com]
    #957204 - 10/13/02 04:53 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Mushrooms need oxygen to be able to grow. When you prepare a PF jar, inoculate it and even if you seal it, some oxygen is present in the jar, so colonization occurs, although slower than when it?s not sealed.
When you have a grain jar, you also have some oxygen there from the start, but with whole grains the chance that some of the bacterial endospores survived the sterilization, is much greater.
Now, many of those bacteria that can cause contamination are anaerobe, means they only grow in environments with no oxygen.
If you provide gas exchange, you help the mycelium grow and suppress the bacterial growth.

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Re: Whole Grains and air exchange [Re: Anno]
    #957212 - 10/13/02 04:59 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Thank you very much. How much Oxygen do they need? could i put the inoculated jars in a small steralized container with the holes on the jars exposed without a big risk of contams? Would that work?

Could i just put the jars with exposed holes in a mycobag?

Is there anyway i can make my own filters and if so where can i get the materials to do so. I live in the southeast US.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Edited by z@z.com (10/13/02 05:00 PM)

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Whole Grains and air exchange [Re: z@z.com]
    #957224 - 10/13/02 05:08 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Mycobags

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation