Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: Long Colonization. What's the deal? [Re: mudkip]
    #9573194 - 01/08/09 07:48 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I have used that method to with not too bad results. the 1 problem with foil lids is that they allow some air exchange as the foil doesnt seal complelty. Air exchange during colinisaiton can speed things up, but it can cause mycelium to comsume more of the substrate leaving less availible for fruiting.

They do work though. Its the way i done all my pf tek grows. You can also use plastic containers that are the right size, as long as there PP (indicated by a triangle with arrows and a 5 in the middle).

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineronjohn7779
Stranger

#9573584 - 01/08/09 08:43 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

mudkip said:
Quote:

Elixier said:
I would start over, it was the foil.  You need to leave it off for gas exchange.

Don't give bad advice.  You can't tell him that it was his foil when all you know is that he got them from a sponsor and they are taking long to colonize.  I have personally colonized a 1 pint brf cake with tin foil on pretty tightly the entire time.  It took around 2 months to fully colonize because i used the standard mix, which got to compacted towards the bottom, and 3 of 4 stalled.

But id have to imagine it could have got packed down during shipping.  Hard to say if you don't give more detail though.  Are they half pint? Because iv seen some selling 1 pint cakes.

Word all my jars have foil on them. It's never done any harm. It's done more good if anything. It's the best dust barrier, it doesn't melt in a PC so when you take it out you know it's got a nice clean contact with jar beneath it.

Also you really don't know how the supplier made those substrates. Seriously the guy making them could have had no clue on the ratios of water, flour, and verm. Or whatever growing medium the OP grew them on. Also they could have very well been contaminated. Just because they were PCed doesn't mean everything in the jars were killed. WIth shipping times, the amount of time they were in storage for ect...then your adding in a lot of variables. A world of trouble could have happened. Moral of the story is make your own shit. Then at least you know who to blame and what went wrong.

--------------------
"Lennox Lewis, I'm coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!" An American Hero Iron Mike!

Offlinemudkip
I heard U Like Me!
Male

Re: Long Colonization. What's the deal? [Re: ronjohn7779]
    #9573699 - 01/08/09 09:00 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah man, plus those jars are like 60 bucks for 12 or somthing...I got my pc, jars, verm, brown rice, and syringe all for cheaper than that.

--------------------

OfflineModizu
Modizu is BACK!!!
Male User Gallery

Loc: MEEDWEEST
    #9576859 - 01/09/09 12:57 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Gah bad news guys.
the one that i though was making some headway, has now been contaminated.

tought me a lesson.
make your own jars.
Don't rely on vendors or anything like that.

and also, use 1/2 pint jars instead of pints.
(as most of you said above!)

Thanks guys you've been a great help.

--------------------
--**WICKR: modizu
MODiZu

Love is the ultimate drug!

wickr: modizu

Offlinexswaveyx
SwaveY
 User Gallery

Loc: East
Re: Long Colonization. What's the deal? [Re: Modizu]
    #9576920 - 01/09/09 01:11 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I leave foil on my half pint jars from the time to go in the PC until the time im ready to take the cakes out of the jar, and have had no problems at all? I never knew you should take the foil off of them.Wouldnt that then make an open hole for contams to easily enter? I think im going to stick with the foil ontop covering the holes regardless... there seems to be mixed emotions on it. I deff would NOT blame your case on the foil... dont listen to that bullshit.It had to do with verm/brf ratio/too big of a jar/water ratio/spores/contamination. Personally, i think your biggest problem is using Pint instead of half pint,and then somewhere along the lines of spores/sterilization something went wrong. Either they werent sterile or your spores were junk IMO.

--------------------
Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol - or THC, the active chemical in weed - is in the same family of organic molecules as anandamide, a chemical found in the human brain that is associated with feelings of bliss such as those released during sex. So on a molecular level, getting laid and getting stoned aren't too different.

My Growlog with Redboy,Amazon,and Brazilian

Offlineronjohn7779
Stranger

#9576933 - 01/09/09 01:13 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

elementflip8 said:
Gah bad news guys.
the one that i though was making some headway, has now been contaminated.

tought me a lesson.
make your own jars.
Don't rely on vendors or anything like that.

and also, use 1/2 pint jars instead of pints.
(as most of you said above!)

Thanks guys you've been a great help.

I'd call the supplier and let them know you had a shit harvest. Either you had a shit syringe to begin with or it totally was the jars. In either case I think you should try to get some cash back.

--------------------
"Lennox Lewis, I'm coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!" An American Hero Iron Mike!

OfflineModizu
Modizu is BACK!!!
Male User Gallery

Re: Long Colonization. What's the deal? [Re: ronjohn7779]
    #9577346 - 01/09/09 02:38 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, im going to get in touch with lil shop of spores and the vendor for the jars was Growers Tradepost.

ill contact both of them.

--------------------
MODiZu

Offlinemudkip
I heard U Like Me!
Male

#9577568 - 01/09/09 03:17 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Lil shop of spores is pretty reliable.  Iv never bought anything from growers tradepost but iv seen those pints on ebay.  Im pretty sure those pints have a differant formula to prevent all the problems that come from  1 pint brf cakes.  So maybe he just messed up or somthing, I would tell him how it turned out when you tried to grow LEGAL mushies with them.

Not only is it cheaper to make your own, but i personally think its kind of fun.  I dont major in any science fields so its like one big science experiment to me.  I don't really know why they sell steril pf jars...shipping prolly messes it all up with the dry verm layer and all and plus, why not just pay less for a mycobag if your gonna buy it, and let it fruit in the bag.  Thats gotta be the most fool proof in my book.

--------------------

OfflineModizu
Modizu is BACK!!!
Male User Gallery

#9577687 - 01/09/09 03:37 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, im definately going to make my own jars.

i've been looking around and cant find any 1/2 pint jars?
anywhere that i should look?

--------------------
MODiZu

OfflineElixier
Awesome

#9577874 - 01/09/09 04:13 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I don't understand how anyone could put the blame of this on the sponsor.  Leaving the foil on for over a month allowing little if any gas exchange seems like the cause for stalling to me.  Personally I have never left the foil on any of my jars so I can't say this for sure, but the stalled jar doesn't sound like an unreasonable response.  Mycelium, like humans, need air to survive.  You essentially are forcing a bag over your myceliums head, sure this is oxygen in there but its going to reach a toxic amount of co2 soon.  If I was a sponsor I wouldn't want to refund you, but probably would just so I wouldn't get a bad reputation.  Not trying to come down on you hard, but it just seems like such a bad practice.  This combined with the longer pint jar seems like a bad mix for your gas exchange.  As for making your own spawn, it's really the best way to go.

Invisiblearp180
student of life
 User Gallery

Loc: Macondo
Re: Long Colonization. What's the deal? [Re: Elixier]
    #9578170 - 01/09/09 05:02 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

You said you had growth in the jars?  If this is the case why would you contact Lil Shop of Spores?  Obviously the spores where good.

--------------------
"Given the choice between the experience of pain and nothing, I would choose pain."  William Faulkner

"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
-A quote from the Judge in the novel Blood Meridian; or the Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthy

"Let there be light" My Quick Reference Guide to Lighting
My AutoMono (11oz First Flush)
My Monster Mushroom Mono (9.3oz First Flush)

Offlinexswaveyx
SwaveY
 User Gallery

Re: Long Colonization. What's the deal? [Re: Elixier]
    #9579808 - 01/09/09 09:17 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Elixier said:
I don't understand how anyone could put the blame of this on the sponsor.  Leaving the foil on for over a month allowing little if any gas exchange seems like the cause for stalling to me.  Personally I have never left the foil on any of my jars so I can't say this for sure, but the stalled jar doesn't sound like an unreasonable response.  Mycelium, like humans, need air to survive.  You essentially are forcing a bag over your myceliums head, sure this is oxygen in there but its going to reach a toxic amount of co2 soon.  If I was a sponsor I wouldn't want to refund you, but probably would just so I wouldn't get a bad reputation.  Not trying to come down on you hard, but it just seems like such a bad practice.  This combined with the longer pint jar seems like a bad mix for your gas exchange.  As for making your own spawn, it's really the best way to go.

Lets just make this clear. Foil DOES let air pass.Research it my friend. Maybe him having both foil AND mycopore tape made it too hard for any air to move... i would choose one or the other (not both). Like i said... i leave the foil on mine the entire time...and i just knocked up 48 half pint BRF jars, and have an amazing amount of growth in every jar in a weeks time, and its an extreme rare that i get a contam. Leave the holes open on the top of the jar just seems way too risky IMO, thats why they put filters on bags, you dont just leave them open.

--------------------
Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol - or THC, the active chemical in weed - is in the same family of organic molecules as anandamide, a chemical found in the human brain that is associated with feelings of bliss such as those released during sex. So on a molecular level, getting laid and getting stoned aren't too different.

OfflineModizu
Modizu is BACK!!!
Male User Gallery

Re: Long Colonization. What's the deal? [Re: xswaveyx]
    #9582619 - 01/10/09 12:19 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I think today im going out to get some half pint jars.
and going to make my own.

I can never find the damn 1/2 pints.
Any ideas on where to find them?

--------------------
MODiZu

Offlinemudkip
I heard U Like Me!
Male

#9582706 - 01/10/09 12:36 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I think it might be mycosupply that has them, I can never find them anywhere.  Yes, heres the link.

http://www.mycosupply.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?preadd=action&key=CANN01

Thinkin of buying them soon.  I can't find shit around here, iv heard walmart has them seasonally, but not here.  You can eye out a nice set of drinking glasses, thats what iv been using, check my journal if you want an idea.  Good luck man!

And if you have a choice, go with the mason jars, it just makes it easier in my opinion.

--------------------

OfflineModizu
Modizu is BACK!!!
Male User Gallery

#9583026 - 01/10/09 01:20 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks man , i appreciate it.
I'll letcha know how it all goes!

--------------------
MODiZu

Offlinexswaveyx
SwaveY
 User Gallery

#9583049 - 01/10/09 01:23 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

mudkip said:
I think it might be mycosupply that has them, I can never find them anywhere.  Yes, heres the link.

http://www.mycosupply.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?preadd=action&key=CANN01

Thinkin of buying them soon.  I can't find shit around here, iv heard walmart has them seasonally, but not here.  You can eye out a nice set of drinking glasses, thats what iv been using, check my journal if you want an idea.  Good luck man!

And if you have a choice, go with the mason jars, it just makes it easier in my opinion.

Walmart has them all the time, not just seasonally. i just bought 2 more 2 pack cases.... $8 for a dozen jars. Your not looking in the right place maybe?

--------------------

OfflineModizu
Modizu is BACK!!!
Male User Gallery

#9583161 - 01/10/09 01:39 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

hmm, ive looked in walmart.
Can't really find much.
i'm going to go look here soon.

--------------------
MODiZu

Offlinexswaveyx
SwaveY
 User Gallery

#9584559 - 01/10/09 04:54 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

i just got them. They arent in the same place as they were when they were in "season" but they are in the same place you would go to buy one of the big black pots with white speckles... i guess its called a "canner".But, if you can find those your close.If anything else just ask someone working-i guarentee your just looking in the wrong spot. I buy JellyJars from walmart...they are half pint and slightly larger at the top than bottom so cakes come out super super easy.good luck.

--------------------

Offlinemudkip
I heard U Like Me!
Male

#9588484 - 01/11/09 09:54 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Yes, iv found all other size canning jars, but half pint.  Keep in mine not every walmart stocks the same stuff.  For example iv been to a walmart thats right by a lake, and they sell 10x more fishing stuff than the one by my house.

--------------------

InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #9589123 - 01/11/09 12:39 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

my friend has jars that incubate at 27C-28C and colonize in about 2 months. they go really slow, but they have no contams and take forever. can't figure it out... it's wbs.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck