Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineabhi
Why not?
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: in some small dive
Quitting Smoking
    #9549425 - 01/05/09 04:42 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I've decided to quit smoking.  For real this time, no dicking around, no messing up, being done for good and all that good stuff.  I'm pretty young and I haven't been smoking too long.  Only about 5-6 years.  I've had a lot of difficulty deciding to actually do this ... being unable to decide if I really want to be a non-smoker etc. 
I decided to plan my quit date and get ready for it like a lot of support I've found on the internet recommends.  Today is day one of me starting my life again as a non-smoker, and I have a slight advantage because I ended up not smoking at all yesterday either. 

I'll be checking back here with updates. 

Wish me luck!! :heart::sun::turtle:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleJufin
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: Quitting Smoking [Re: abhi]
    #9549457 - 01/05/09 04:56 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Good luck indeed:thumbup:

If you've made your decision and you believe in yourself then that's all there is to it.

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
    #9552151 - 01/05/09 04:39 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Keep updating us, and other people in your life.  You create accountability whenever you tell someone you have quit. 

:shineon:

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Offlineabhi
Why not?
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9555985 - 01/06/09 04:39 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Day Two (or D+1, or D+2 ...)

They say not to shoot for eternity, but to take it one day at a time.  Well, in that case I'm proud to say that I did not smoke a cigarette yesterday, and I WILL NOT smoke a cigarette today.  I think I've already noticed a slight decrease in withdrawals, but I'm not sure.  Technically this will be the third day without smoking so who knows ...

--------------------

InvisibleJufin
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #9556032 - 01/06/09 04:57 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

To be honest, the withdrawals get much worse.  Just so you're prepared...

OfflineImushdream
Stranger

Re: Quitting Smoking [Re: Jufin]
    #9556337 - 01/06/09 07:11 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I quit about 3 months ago now. I still get the urge. Especially when the stress level rises or I'm drinking. It's worth it though.

Quote:

Keep updating us, and other people in your life.  You create accountability whenever you tell someone you have quit.

Good advice.

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #9556482 - 01/06/09 08:19 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Good luck with that. It's hard, I know, but well worth it. You should start feeling less withdrawals about day 5 or so.

InvisibleMastamike1118
Male

Re: Quitting Smoking [Re: Le_Canard]
    #9556807 - 01/06/09 09:47 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

try the patch if you need help that shit really works wonders i had no desire to smoke when on these... well okay i had some desire but you dont get really shitty or anything else so i would definitely reccomend them

InvisibleArden
לנשום

Loc: Α & Ω Flag
Re: Quitting Smoking [Re: Mastamike1118]
    #9557317 - 01/06/09 11:51 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Good luck! And I agree with the previous poster, the patch really helped me kick the habit.

OfflineRussianScholar
Biological Entity
Male

Loc: Alpha Cluster #164
Re: Quitting Smoking [Re: Arden]
    #9558244 - 01/06/09 03:10 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Good for you and good luck! It aint easy but as long as you have the mentality and pass a week without smoking, the rest should be a breeze. When i quit i never got withdrawal symptoms, i was just so sick of cigarettes that i said "fuck it"

--------------------
"The crisis is a crisis in consciousness. A crisis that cannot anymore accept the old norms, the old patterns, the ancient traditions, and considering what the world is now with all the misery, conflict, destructive brutality, aggression, and so on, man is still as he was, is still brutal, violent, aggressive, acquisitive, competitive, and he has built a society along these lines."

Offlineabhi
Why not?
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Quitting Smoking [Re: RussianScholar]
    #9559372 - 01/06/09 06:22 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

That's pretty much what prompted a friend of mine to quit.  Can't get too much advice from her because of it actually. 

This thread actually helped me out just now.  I was thinking I could ask a friend to bum "just one" cigarette but after reading this I quickly remembered why that would be a dumb idea.  Thanks guys.

--------------------

InvisibleGreen_T
 User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
    #9563051 - 01/07/09 08:37 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I quit cold turkey after a pack-a-day habit. One day i just threw down my cigarette and said, "fuck it, thats my last one!". I find people who make a big deal about their final cigarette become emotionally tied to them and have the most trouble quitting.

If you do happen to relapse and smoke a cigarette in future, don't think of it as failing - just see it as a slip up and you can still succeed.

Good luck!

--------------------

"I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man" - Thomas Jefferson

Legalize Meth | Drug War Victims

Offlinealarmist
fade like a sigh
Loc: canada
Re: Quitting Smoking [Re: Green_T]
    #9564959 - 01/07/09 02:41 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

i didn't want to make a  new thread so i'll ask my question here

i just went thru a big phase of smoking pot everyday, all day but the catch is i used to mix tobacco with the weed always because it gave me a good headrush

i decided to quit and the past few days ive been coughing up a lot of phlegm and shit, has this happened to any of you? i also have a minor cold so that's obviously also a possibility

anyways props to the OP for deciding to quit, even though i was never addicted and i obviously smoked minor ammounts of tobacco compared to a smoker, i definitely felt the effects on my lungs and body

--------------------
there's no love in fear

InvisibleSleepyF0x
I bleed nicotine...
Male

Re: Quitting Smoking [Re: alarmist]
    #9565832 - 01/07/09 04:45 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

yeah hacking up phlem is pretty normal.

quitting in my experience has been relatively easy, throw out any tobacco products you have. withdrawl symptoms cease into about a week. though psychological addiction will still be there, replace any thoughts on smoking with anything else, i find working out is pretty effective.

good luck.

--------------------
Everybody's a ninja...

Offlinefazdazzle
Wanderer

Re: Quitting Smoking [Re: Green_T]
    #9565999 - 01/07/09 05:15 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

green_titan said:
I quit cold turkey after a pack-a-day habit. One day i just threw down my cigarette and said, "fuck it, thats my last one!". I find people who make a big deal about their final cigarette become emotionally tied to them and have the most trouble quitting.

If you do happen to relapse and smoke a cigarette in future, don't think of it as failing - just see it as a slip up and you can still succeed.

Good luck!

Good advice :thumbup:

Good luck though and don't be fooled by the "just one" mindset. See yourself as the master of your mind. Don't be deceived by your carnal brain.

It's awesome to hear that you actually decided that you wanted to quit. So many people say they're quitting when they really don't want to. If it seems like it's getting hard, just tell yourself that you'll do it for 30 days and see what it's like. It takes a lot of pressure off.

Offlineabhi
Why not?
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Quitting Smoking [Re: fazdazzle]
    #9566037 - 01/07/09 05:20 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, I'm not sure how I'll feel about it in the future.  I definitely want to be able to smoke a cigarette once in a while when I am offered one, but I don't know when or even if that will ever be possible.  I definitely know I can't afford that now, I need to become as close to a nonsmoker as possible right now. 

But anyways ....

It's the end of day four!

--------------------

OfflineOmegachrist
Dark Shaman
Male

Loc: Where the grass is green....
    #9566615 - 01/07/09 06:49 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

best way to quit is not to smoke. Its quite a simple concept. You want to smoke? Smoke it up. You don't want to smoke? Don't.

I understand when you try quiting it feels like your giving up your entire brain, your entire life. Thats what it want you to think, if yo smoke longer than a few years nicotine will be everywhere in your brain telling you to smoke. Just don't though. I myself smoked for 3 years then quit for a few and just recently I've began to smoke again. Something about winter time with a menthol- oh, sorry. Don't smoke, its really bad for ya.

--------------------
"I dabble in all forms of art that show beauty in nature that in turn causes me to live in balance with mother nature, and to not tolerate anyone who opposes Gaia."

Invisiblemantis
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bunker Alpha, GMC Flag
    #9567352 - 01/07/09 08:48 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Good for you! Nicotine gum helps with the withdrawal symptoms, but it's ultimately up to YOU to quit. The gum actually tastes pretty good, and it has a kick to it.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder