Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

Re: Sacred anointment, Fly Agaric, and LSD Ingestion Through Skin Contact [Re: AnxietyDrive]
    #9574851 - 01/09/09 12:04 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

From Pharmako/Dynamis by Dale Pendell:

Quote:

Wasson's proposal that the original soma was Amanita muscaria has been critiqued by Flattery, and, more particularly, by Schwartz, in terms of Wasson's etymological arugments.  But a few points seem not to have been mentioned, so I'll do a quick review.  First off, Amanita muscaria is only known to be used by shamanic people, which the Vedic Aryans were not.  Wasson himself stated that a crucial argument in his case was that the alkaloids in Amanita muscaria are excreted unmetabolized in the urine, and mistakenly states that no other plant has this property (Wasson 1968, ch. 7).  Wasson's error here is two-fold.  First, there is no conclusive evidence that Vedic priests, past or present, drank urine.  Second, ephedrine is excreted unmetabolized in urine just as is muscimol and a number of other alkaloids, including psilocin.  Most Vedic scholars, including Wendy Doniger, consider that the verse in question:

Quote:

the swollen men piss down the fluid set in motion
--RgVeda 9.74.4

refers to the Maruts, in this case, rain-giving clouds.

Wasson's arguments are brilliant and cogent, but many of them, such as there being no mention of leaves anywhere in the RgVeda, or that soma grows in the mountains, could equally well apply to Ephedra.  As pointed out by Flattery and Schwartz (1989), many of the soma passages in the RgVeda used by Wasson actually refer to soma pavaman, the liquid extract, and not to the soma plant itself.  At other places the poets are describing Soma, the divinity (not that good poetic tropes shouldn't go both way.)  Wasson's insistence that the Sanskrit hari never refers to green is not supported by the dictionary nor by any other scholar I've consulted.  Lastly, while Ephedra is still in use as haoma in Iran, and a plausible substitute for Ephedra, Sarcostemma brevistigma, is used for soma in south India, there are very few records of contemporary or historical use of Amanita muscaria by either the Indians or the Iranians.  That should be conclusive.

The major contenders for Soma are either Amanita Muscaria, Ephedra Sinica, or Peganum Harmala (Syrian Rue).  Pendell puts up considerable evidence in favor of Ephedra, but again, nothing is for certain.

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRBK
AnxietyDrive's Girlfriend
Female

Re: Sacred anointment, Fly Agaric, and LSD Ingestion Through Skin Contact [Re: deCypher]
    #9574855 - 01/09/09 12:06 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

deCypher said:
Quote:

AnxietyDrive said:
It is said that a powerful concentrate or oil can be produced through the soaking and drying of fly Agaric caps. Then the created warm oil can be rubbed on the anus, armpits, or even vulva to produce the psychedelic effects. This type of anointment is reminiscent of a witches flying ointment and the imagery and metaphors that flow from it. The imagery is peculiar because of the nature of the witches symbolism, and the idea that the witch can fly through the night as seen in European and American mythologies. This flying, of course is not literal, but instead figurative-- a type of astral projection. The psychedelic clues are astonishing.

Amanita Muscaria has nothing whatsoever to do with a witch's flying ointment.  Traditionally the salve was a nightshade derivative; usually the tropane alkaloid belladonna which is known to produce the feeling of flight and a sense of astral projection with higher doses.

Hm. Well. We know about the composition of flying ointments from...well, frankly we don't KNOW anything. It's "alleged" and could frankly have been a complete fabrication of the religious establishment at the time. Think inquisition and certain writings like the Malleus Mallificarum.

Now, if we were to assume for a moment that "witches" in this context did use hallucinogenic substances as some sort of rite, the people in question (those having knowledge of plants and their uses and probably individuals on the fringes of the main community) would probably not have been literate for the most part, and even if they had been, would have been damn certain to keep their secrets, well, secret as a matter of trade and of safety.

If we then consider the region which I assume we're talking about, fly agarics are indeed available...so much so that it remains an ingrained thing until this day. One of the first things I learned as a child growing up in Germany was that I was never, ever, ever to touch one of those pretty red mushrooms with the white dots. The implication was that mere skin contact would kill me immediately.

Having said all that, I wouldn't dismiss the notion based on what very little we know about "witches" and "flying ointments."

--------------------
...sleeping with the enemy

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

Re: Sacred anointment, Fly Agaric, and LSD Ingestion Through Skin Contact [Re: RBK]
    #9574889 - 01/09/09 12:11 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

RBK said:One of the first things I learned as a child growing up in Germany was that I was never, ever, ever to touch one of those pretty red mushrooms with the white dots. The implication was that mere skin contact would kill me immediately.

Having said all that, I wouldn't dismiss the notion based on what very little we know about "witches" and "flying ointments."

It's conceivable, certainly.  However, both trip reports and historical records (admittedly perhaps faulty, but present nonetheless) show that tropane alkaloids not only give a feeling of flight but also help induce trances and astral projection.  They also have a very demonic feel to them, which goes along nicely with the typical story of witches communing with the Devil by night.  Given that belladonna salve is known to be administrable via transdermal contact, I would say that it's far more likely that this would be the culprit.  Do you have any sources showing that Amanita muscaria is absorbable through mere skin application?

Also, the caution against touching wild mushrooms was probably due to the widespread prevalence of deadly mushrooms that closely resemble harmless or edible fungii.  Amanita phalloides, for instance, resembles many commonly eaten mushrooms and yet is incredibly toxic.

--------------------

OfflineRBK
Female

Re: Sacred anointment, Fly Agaric, and LSD Ingestion Through Skin Contact [Re: deCypher]
    #9574920 - 01/09/09 12:17 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

deCypher said:
Quote:

RBK said:One of the first things I learned as a child growing up in Germany was that I was never, ever, ever to touch one of those pretty red mushrooms with the white dots. The implication was that mere skin contact would kill me immediately.

It's conceivable, certainly.  However, both trip reports and historical records (admittedly perhaps faulty, but present nonetheless) show that tropane alkaloids not only give a feeling of flight but also help induce trances and astral projection.  They also have a very demonic feel to them, which goes along nicely with the typical story of witches communing with the Devil by night.  Given that belladonna salve is known to be administrable via transdermal contact, I would say that it's far more likely that this would be the culprit.  Do you have any sources showing that Amanita muscaria is absorbable through mere skin application?

The reason I mentioned what you quoted was that there is a strong folkloric undercurrent in the region that suggests this is so. Besides that, there have been suggestions of vaginal application, in other words a very delicate area of high bloodflow that likely WOULD allow for absorption...from there it's not too far off to suggest rectal absorption.

--------------------

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

Re: Sacred anointment, Fly Agaric, and LSD Ingestion Through Skin Contact [Re: RBK]
    #9574930 - 01/09/09 12:18 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Sources, please.

All the mention that I've heard applied to vaginal application (yes, this is where the oft-touted broomstick was thought to be used) have been in reference to tropane alkaloids and not to Amanita muscaria, which is most frequently ingested or sometimes smoked.

I agree that folklore weaves a passionate tale about this fairytale fungii, but entheogenic use is a whole other matter.

--------------------

OfflineRBK
Female

#9574983 - 01/09/09 12:26 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

deCypher said:
Sources, please.

All the mention that I've heard applied to vaginal application (yes, this is where the oft-touted broomstick was thought to be used) have been in reference to tropane alkaloids and not to Amanita muscaria, which is most frequently ingested or sometimes smoked.

I agree that folklore weaves a passionate tale about this fairytale fungii, but entheogenic use is a whole other matter.

What I'm saying is that these "recipes" which have been referred to are

1. possibly fabricated
2. certainly not complete

and that

3. it might very well be possible to concoct an ointment involving fly agaric. If it can be done, it probably was done, insofar as these things happened in the first place.

I say that being something of an herbalist myself. You work with what you've got and if you're low on henbane you might very well reach for a cap instead. Local associations which are probably, at least to an extent, true, suggest that absorption through the skin is possible.

There's no reason to dismiss the notion simply because there aren't any documented cases (that you or I know of offhand, and which I am too lazy to attempt to locate at the moment even if I could)...

ESPECIALLY when the subject matter involves illiterate fringe peasants who were being persecuted at the time.

--------------------

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#9575003 - 01/09/09 12:30 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Burden of proof is on the claimant.  I agree that there is a possibility, but given that:

A.) there are no documented cases of Amanita muscaria being used transdermally
B.) there are documented cases of tropane alkaloids being used transdermally
C.) the trip from tropane alkaloids much resembles the classic witch's communion with the Devil, flying, and astral projection
D.) the trip from Amanita muscaria is far from sinister and has nothing to do with flying--in fact, most experiences deal with death and a mystical sense of rebirth than anything else

The evidence thus far points towards Amanitas not being used in flying ointments.  If you have evidence that shows otherwise, please inform us... I'd be delighted to learn something new about these fungii.

--------------------

InvisibleNlightNd1
∇Δ∇Δ∇Δ∇
Male User Gallery

Loc: Holographic Omniverse
    #9575059 - 01/09/09 12:46 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

deCypher said:
the trip from Amanita muscaria... has nothing to do with flying--in fact, most experiences deal with death and a mystical sense of rebirth than anything else

I completely agree that amanita muscaria would not have been used by witches. Really high doses (30g+) make me feel very similar to flying before I breakthrough. You can barely feel your body and it feels like someone is holding you by your soul through the top of your head. It feels very much like you are floating and dangling from an unknown force. Much like it would feel if you were being held off the ground by your hair except it is painless. Instead of your hair, it feels more like your soul or mental consciousness. It is definitely a rebirth experience when you gradually make your way back to reality after having a breakthrough.

--------------------
Turn off your mind, relax and floatdown stream. It is not dying. Lay down all thought, surrender to the void. It is shining.

:darkside: Pink Floyd :darkside:

OfflineRBK
Female

#9575065 - 01/09/09 12:48 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

deCypher said:
Burden of proof is on the claimant.  I agree that there is a possibility, but given that:

A.) there are no documented cases of Amanita muscaria being used transdermally
B.) there are documented cases of tropane alkaloids being used transdermally
C.) the trip from tropane alkaloids much resembles the classic witch's communion with the Devil, flying, and astral projection
D.) the trip from Amanita muscaria is far from sinister and has nothing to do with flying--in fact, most experiences deal with death and a mystical sense of rebirth than anything else

The evidence thus far points towards Amanitas not being used in flying ointments.  If you have evidence that shows otherwise, please inform us... I'd be delighted to learn something new about these fungii.

Meh. I don't see you proving that they didn't. One can't prove that they used ointments of any kind or that witches such as the ones we're speaking of existed PERIOD, so let's leave off of that notion for the sake of argument...because if we don't, there won't BE an argument.

:wink: not in a disagreeable sense, of course.

Clearly, the mixture of chemicals produces different effects. Hippy flipping feels different than plain E or plain shrooms, does it not? So, while Amanita ALONE may not provide the type of high typically described, it may add a different dimension to whatever mixture. Even in the recipes "known," they weren't dependent on one plant. I've seen the following plants listed in flying ointments...this may not be all of them, but they're the ones that I've seen.

Henbane, belladonna: solanaceae.
hellebore, aconite: ranunculaceae
hemlock, cowbane: Apiaceae

Now, solanaceae are the nightshade family...and the rest are mainly considered pure poison. So, let's not say that witches were limited in their weapons of choice.

--------------------

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

Re: Sacred anointment, Fly Agaric, and LSD Ingestion Through Skin Contact [Re: NlightNd1]
    #9575069 - 01/09/09 12:49 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

They are certainly damn powerful.  Edit: I probably should not have said that Amanitas have nothing to do with flying; rather, tropane alkaloids have a lot more to do with the feeling of flight than Amanita muscaria.  (And in fact, rubbing nightshade salve on one's ankles can be used to give a floating sensation.)

--------------------

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#9575078 - 01/09/09 12:53 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

RBK said:
So, while Amanita ALONE may not provide the type of high typically described, it may add a different dimension to whatever mixture.

Agreed, but they surely were not the primary component.

Castaneda also has some interesting info regarding tropanes and flight; although most of his writings should not be taken at face-value, he does have some pretty true-to-life descriptions of various effects of different entheogens.

--------------------

InvisibleMe_Roy
Stranger
    #9575083 - 01/09/09 12:54 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

pointy birds
oh pointy, pointy
anoint my head
anointy-nointy
-The Jerk

OfflineRBK
Female

#9575093 - 01/09/09 12:56 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Perhaps not the primary component, but surely we can agree that these ointments contained a conglomeration of substances that interacted with each other.

--------------------

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#9575112 - 01/09/09 01:00 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

:shrug:  Sure, they contained a conglomeration of substances, but until we can find a written record where Amanita muscaria was specifically used in the context of a witch's flying ointment, we cannot safely postulate its use, particularly when the interaction between henbane/belladonna and Amanita is unknown and even possibly fatal.

--------------------

OfflineRBK
Female

#9575130 - 01/09/09 01:06 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

deCypher said:
:shrug:  Sure, they contained a conglomeration of substances, but until we can find a written record where Amanita muscaria was specifically used in the context of witches, we cannot safely postulate its use, particularly when the interaction between henbane/belladonna and Amanita is unknown and even possibly fatal.

The use of hemlock has proven to be fatal...often. What does that tell you? The reason ointments were used was probably because it was the only way to get the stuff into your bloodstream without killing yourself. In other words minuscule amounts.

Personally, I'm betting on these "written records" being fabricated anyway so in a sense this discussion is irrelevant. At any rate, given the availability and the mind-altering effect, I would say that it's highly unlikely that they weren't used, if such things were going on in the way we imagine.

--------------------

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#9575138 - 01/09/09 01:08 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Again, this is all idle speculation.  Without sources showing their use, it's safer to say that flying ointments did not contain Amanita muscaria until shown otherwise.  Even if written records are unreliable, it's the only thing we have to go by; otherwise we could well claim anything was thrown into the brew and rest safely on the fact that our dubious claim can't be disproven.

Anyways, do you have a link to hemlock being used in flying ointments?  This isn't particularly relevant to the topic of discussion, but I'm just curious as to their use; I can't see any psychoactive effect from it.

--------------------

OfflineRBK
Female

#9575204 - 01/09/09 01:27 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Sorry. Got that out of a physical book. Hmmm...it was either David Conway or Harold Hansen. Honestly, I recited that from memory because quite a few of my books are still in boxes with my parents, so I couldn't tell you if either author specified if it was poison hemlock or water hemlock, which from what I understand have vastly differing effects.

Poison hemlock produces has both stimulant and depressant phases while water hemlock I think causes serious convulsions. I'm guessing poison hemlock was probably being referenced.

Perhaps it was used as a paralytic. At smaller concentrations perhaps only as a stimulant or purgative.

--------------------

OfflinedOseDidontknow
Stranger
 User Gallery

#9575485 - 01/09/09 03:32 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I heard some old rainbow family hippie tell me how back in his day he had a high tolerance and was eating thousands of mics a day, he told me he was eating books in short periods of time for a while.
He told me that his friend had a tub that he was dissolving crystal LSD in and laying it on paper. He told me he got in the tub for 35 or 45 seconds and was tripping for 3 days.
I also have a cousin who dipped his hand in a tub of liquid LSD at a blotter facility and tripped quite good.
Both of these people are older and have no reason to lie.

I on one hand when making large batches of mescalin, dio my hand in the solution alot and sometimes I feel a bit high after handling mescalin juice and pieces for a few hours.

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#9576247 - 01/09/09 10:13 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Interesting!  To think that Socrates was tripping on a psychoactive before he died...

--------------------

InvisibleMe_Roy
Stranger
    #9586328 - 01/10/09 10:05 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

You guys really like your words, don't you?

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures