Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
Re: If You Could Pass One Law [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #9549054 - 01/05/09 02:14 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Madtowntripper said:
It pains me greatly to say but zappa's response was probably more in line with the general spirit of the thread.

I think controlling human population is an infinitely more urgent need than the decriminalization of my favorite drug.

Maybe it is, but that isn't what he proposed.  He proposed a law.

That law would require people be put in jail or fined and when they allready have no mean to raise the child, this would be poor policy.  The only other thing I could imagine would be forced sterilizations which is ethically troubling and possibly illegal in the US.  Drug legalization would be a step that could be implemented and would have profound positive effects.  Rather than trying to punish, and hopefully stop, conduct that by its nature is generally private and poorly thought out, thus difficult to affect legislativly, drug legalization would be easy to implement- just stop fucking with people.

I also agree that decriminalizing drugs does pretty much nothing, though it would be a substantial step.  Legalising consentual conduct between people over 18 years of age is good, but decriminalizing wouldn't prevent the abuse of our rights and the ever expanding criminal justice industry.

At least the poster said he would decriminalize sales which would do soemthing at least.  Most talk of decriminalizing possesion which would seem to do nothing to help the state of the situation.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: If You Could Pass One Law [Re: johnm214]
    #9550096 - 01/05/09 09:27 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

johnm214 said:
Quote:

Madtowntripper said:
It pains me greatly to say but zappa's response was probably more in line with the general spirit of the thread.

I think controlling human population is an infinitely more urgent need than the decriminalization of my favorite drug.

Maybe it is, but that isn't what he proposed.  He proposed a law.

Which, in case you hadn't noticed, is the title of the thread.
Quote:

That law would require people be put in jail or fined and when they allready have no mean to raise the child, this would be poor policy.  The only other thing I could imagine would be forced sterilizations which is ethically troubling and possibly illegal in the US.

Yep, hence my statement that it is evil. 
Quote:

Drug legalization would be a step that could be implemented and would have profound positive effects.  Rather than trying to punish, and hopefully stop, conduct that by its nature is generally private and poorly thought out, thus difficult to affect legislativly, drug legalization would be easy to implement- just stop fucking with people.

So, your criteria for the one law you would pass is its ease.  Real brave, there Gunga Din.
Quote:

I also agree that decriminalizing drugs does pretty much nothing, though it would be a substantial step.  Legalising consentual conduct between people over 18 years of age is good, but decriminalizing wouldn't prevent the abuse of our rights and the ever expanding criminal justice industry.

At least the poster said he would decriminalize sales which would do soemthing at least.  Most talk of decriminalizing possesion which would seem to do nothing to help the state of the situation.

I would legalize all drugs, sale and possession.  But that just lacks enough gravitas for me to make it the one law.  I do all the drugs I want as it is.  Always have.  I'm just not a fucking idiot about it.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: If You Could Pass One Law [Re: ScavengerType]
    #9550149 - 01/05/09 09:38 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

ScavengerType said:

What I was saying is that in many developing nations like Africa most of the population (many in excess of 99.5%) could not afford to have kids. Furthermore how was it going to be enforced?

Africa is not a nation, and the affordability of children has not stopped them from having millions upon millions of them.  At some point there will inevitably be a law imposed by man or by nature to limit human population on earth.  Natural is quite harsh.  There might be a better way.

--------------------

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
Re: If You Could Pass One Law [Re: zappaisgod]
    #9551591 - 01/05/09 02:51 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I meant to say like in Africa but forgive my Palinesque slip anyway.

How can you claim your law is so much better than ours if you yourself call it evil?

Also how do you define financial competency?
I'd seen you rant about this in another thread and you claimed it was an annual combined income of 200 thousand dollars.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

OfflineSirTripAlot
Semper Fidelis
Male User Gallery

Loc: Harmless (Mostly)
    #9551701 - 01/05/09 03:13 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

You would not agree with my abolishment of the UN?

--------------------
“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

OfflineTGRR
Horrible Bastard

Re: If You Could Pass One Law [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #9553778 - 01/05/09 08:24 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Madtowntripper said:
To which everyone in the world must adhere, what law would you lay down?

I would make quoting Monty Python movies illegal, punishable by being handed to the howling mob.

--------------------
What can we do to help you stop screaming?

Official Mr Shoebat lackey.

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: If You Could Pass One Law [Re: TGRR]
    #9556165 - 01/06/09 05:57 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

>I would make quoting Monty Python movies illegal, punishable by being handed to the howling mob.

Ah, now we see the violence inherent in the system!

--------------------
I know... that just the smallest
                                                part of the world belongs to me
You know... I'm not a blind man
                                                    but truth is the hardest thing to see

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: If You Could Pass One Law [Re: ScavengerType]
    #9557534 - 01/06/09 12:46 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

ScavengerType said:
I meant to say like in Africa but forgive my Palinesque slip anyway.

How can you claim your law is so much better than ours if you yourself call it evil?

Also how do you define financial competency?
I'd seen you rant about this in another thread and you claimed it was an annual combined income of 200 thousand dollars.

I never said any such thing.  You are a liar. 

It is evil.  So is nature.  Nature is worse.  Sooner or later either we or nature will impose a limit.  Which would you prefer?  Tooth and claw?  Or reason?

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: If You Could Pass One Law [Re: SirTripAlot]
    #9557542 - 01/06/09 12:48 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

SirTripAlot said:
You would not agree with my abolishment of the UN?

That actually does not suck.  Not at all.  I must have missed that one buried beneath the avalanche of dope fiend and global warming idiot proposals.

--------------------

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

#9558103 - 01/06/09 02:42 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

My issue is that your law make no sense would be difficult to implement and there are many other laws like the one I mentioned earlier that would alleviate the burdens of overpopulation on the planet sooner rather than later.

My main issue with your law is that you called me an idiot while simultaneously making a needlessly totalitarian law about something you know nothing about.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
Conquer's Club

OfflineTGRR
Horrible Bastard

Re: If You Could Pass One Law [Re: zouden]
    #9559841 - 01/06/09 07:32 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

zouden said:
>I would make quoting Monty Python movies illegal, punishable by being handed to the howling mob.

Ah, now we see the violence inherent in the system!

--------------------
What can we do to help you stop screaming?

Official Mr Shoebat lackey.

OfflinexFrockx
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast
Re: If You Could Pass One Law [Re: TGRR]
    #9560475 - 01/06/09 08:59 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Any legislature that seeks to authorize military action must take a vote.  If the majority votes in favor of war, those in the majority must kill themselves.  Then, an election would be held to replace them, and the next legislatures would vote again.  Repeat.

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Re: If You Could Pass One Law [Re: xFrockx]
    #9560686 - 01/06/09 09:31 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

xFrockx said:
Any legislature that seeks to authorize military action must take a vote.  If the majority votes in favor of war, those in the majority must kill themselves.  Then, an election would be held to replace them, and the next legislatures would vote again.  Repeat.

haha that's what we should replace the UN with. I bet it would be much more effective.

--------------------
Conquer's Club

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale