Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineFreedom
Will swim for food
Male User Gallery

The only door that seems to lead somewhere
    #9560236 - 01/06/09 10:21 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Between gaps of distraction I’ve been desperate for meaning.

The only tools for getting some meaning, some significance in this life, are emotion and logic. At least those are the only ones that are apparent to me. ( a parent? Ah never mind the layers…)

My use of logic has always led to an unknowable beginning point. Lot’s of people fill in this point with god, an authority figure who tells you where to begin and how to chose what is important. Without the god, logic has nothing to begin with. Look at the unresolved issue of ethics and morality in western philosophy and you’ll see what I mean – there is no consensus on what is right, or how to live one's life.

Of course, I could just go with the flow, ride the wave and see where it takes me, but for some reason I have a powerful desire for meaning, and we are always faced with decisions anyway – to chose one thing over the other, but how?

For example, suppose you happened upon a fly caught in a spider’s web. Well maybe you might want to save the fly so you go to remove it, but then you realize that you would deprive the spider of it’s dinner, and so you might starve it to death. What do you do? How do you decide?

A christian would save the fly. A satan worshiper would save the spider. But knowing that both god and satan are illusions, yet still caught up in this mess of life, how do we decide?

Hedonism is of course the obvious easy answer, yet it too seems to be an illusion for me – mindless pleasure seeking certainly does not seem to have meaning, and it’s all too easy to get caught up in your own psychotic mind games that short circuit your own hedonistic drives.

So this is the point where I’m left with straight nihlism, yet left with an irrational optimism that there is something more, that there is meaning to be found somewhere, somehow.

With all these doors seeming to lead nowhere, I looked at the secular, psychological aspects of Buddhism. Here was a tangible answer: it’s within you. I can see plain as daylight that the great majority of people, myself included, are basically deluded and psychotic, controlled by our fears and unrelentless desires, and this seems to be the basic premise of Buddhism.

But I don’t know if it’s just another psychotic idea. It’s such an easy answer, that it’s all within you (or the non you, or the you that is neither a you nor a non you or some such insanity). It would be so easy to have faith in this like anything else, and meditate, and if I let myself, start reading books full of ideas and start believing them and building them up into my mind to create a construct of the world that I’ve never even experienced.

But the test is your own observation. That’s what makes it alluring. The setup is that the only thing in your way is your own inability to see clearly. And so it’s fuzzy, but as far as I can tell the door might just go some where.

I’m going in :smile:

--------------------

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinexFrockx
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast
Re: The only door that seems to lead somewhere [Re: Freedom]
    #9560424 - 01/06/09 10:51 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Find the belief in yourself which needs no word.

OfflineAlmond Flour
...get off my lawn!
Male

Re: The only door that seems to lead somewhere [Re: xFrockx]
    #9560554 - 01/06/09 11:10 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

THe real problem here is that your thinking too much.....WAYYYY too much. Think your the only one who wants some answers? Your not the only guy placed on a giant ball, and handed a death sentence, with no direct answer to your destiny. :lol:

The real question is what do you have to lose if you dont chase some meaning or answer. Are you afraid? Your logic is based off philosophy, and philosophy is a sport where everyone is right. You say a Christan would kill the fly and a Satan worshiper would help the spider. Im gonna say, A follower of Satan would probably suck "fuck both of them", and that a Christan would not give a shit because the insects in question have no relation to Jesus.....thus not worth the time of day. Obviously that is not my real view, but there is no way to prove my answer is any less correct then your version.

I recommend you "Know" without knowing. And that you think mindfully at the tasks in front of you. Whats more rewarding? Helping clean the house, or philosophizing until the cows come home? I dont know you personally, but im gonna say if you spent half as much effort focusing on the people around you VS. getting your insight.....think of how helpful of a person you would become?
Please dont take this as an attack against you or your way of thinking, just trying to present some food for thought.  Heres a question for you....

Pretend you spent your whole life questioning your purpose, and searching for a form of enlightenment. Your now 80 years old and have not found it. You stumble upon a meth addict who continues to spend all his money on drugs, and beats his wife. Right as you are about to get your "Answer" would you be willing to let the meth addict have it instead?

Some people on this earth "Need" a answer in order to properly change themselves. Are you someone who needs it? And if you did achieve what you were looking for.....what would come next, and how would it modify your behavior today?

:2cents:

--------------------
Hippies and Liberals love Pope Francis, so why dont I quote him for you guys. "There is NO SALVATION outside the Catholic Church" :morningtoke:

Edited by Almond Flour (01/06/09 11:12 PM)

OfflineFreedom
Will swim for food
Male User Gallery

Re: The only door that seems to lead somewhere [Re: Almond Flour]
    #9560793 - 01/06/09 11:45 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

huh that's a good question tea...

also this is the perfect way to say it:\

Quote:

Your not the only guy placed on a giant ball, and handed a death sentence, with no direct answer to your destiny

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology