Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblenonsence
friend
Loc: Australia.
weilii ID help please - lots of them
    #955957 - 10/12/02 10:50 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Ok here we go.  Today me and a good friend both went mushroom hunting for the very first time.  We took a trip down to GA looking for Weils equipped with prior research and the Stamets guide.  Well, we spent all day cruising 3 ? 8 year old neighborhoods staring into Bermuda grass? and I think it paid off :cool:  We found a shit load of shrooms but before we eat any of them I have a few questions.

First of all I think it is possible that we found more then one species of mushroom.  There is one type that looks identical to the photos in the Stamets guide (see below pics).  I am almost certain these are Weil.

However, the other is a shroom found in the same environment (neighborhoods) that also looks very much like Weil?s Mushroom, that could indeed be Weils, but we have some doubt (see below pics) :crazy:  There are some differences although they are slight.  First, the stem on average is much thinner in diameter then the above.  Also, the coloration of these stems tends to be more brown then in the above shrooms.  There seems to be less of a bluing reaction in these specimens and what reaction does take place seems to be more of a blacking reaction.  They may indeed be the exact same shrooms but being a beginner I want to be extra careful.  Another possible difference may be that the cap on the shrooms in question is not inrolled as opposed to the above.

On all, meaning both types of shrooms, spore deposits found on shorter caps in the field are light to very dark purple.  However, at this point sporing is light making it difficult to take new prints although we are attempting to make new prints as I write this.

I would also like to know if there are any look-alikes that would grow in the same environment that are poisonous.  I will gladly throw away every single one of these shrooms without a positive ID.

I can also provide more detail or more pics if necessary so please ask!

Thank you all for your input

non

i was going to add more pics but i hit my upload limit  :shocked: maybe tomorrow.     

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDobie
Dopeless Hopefiend
Male User Gallery
Loc: ON DA BLOCK
Re: weilii ID help please - lots of them [Re: nonsence]
    #955959 - 10/12/02 10:53 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

mail em to me and ill test em :laugh: they look like all the pictures of weilii ive seen but get someone who is smarter tand me

--------------------
This place is gayer than when the balls touch

InvisibleHybridBudMaster
Whoa now

Loc: Georgia
    #956054 - 10/12/02 11:41 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I found those exact shrooms today(Saturday), and they blued like crazy soon after. Now they are almost completely blue, but they don't look like any of the weilii's I have seen on this forum. They also have this wierd scent, it smells like a crayon, with sort of a waxy smell. Its really wierd. I hope its just a wierd variation of a weilii, because they look very legit.

--------------------
Suck it, Trebek!
It's tasteless, disgusting, and offensive.  I love it.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #956102 - 10/13/02 12:22 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Your biggest dangers are from 2 groups of mushrooms (given the appearance of your mushrooms).

Galerina is the most dangerous. They have rusty brown spore prints and contain amatoxins (the stuff in the deadly Amanitas). A spore print will rule these out easily.

Inocybe can be dangerous. They have brown spore prints, most of them smell strongly bad, and they contain muscarine (*not* what's in Amanita muscaria). Again, a spore print will rule these out easily.

Try to be sure the bruising is *blue*, not just a darkening of the mushroom (in other words, don't let yourself become over-optimistic). To help spore prints along, try putting a small bowl over the mushroom, along with a wet paper towel to raise the humidity.

Good luck and happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineMacey Howard
Formally MOE HOWARD
Female

Post deleted by Moe Howard [Re: HybridBudMaster]
    #956514 - 10/13/02 06:02 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------
Hugs and Kisses!

Invisiblenonsence
friend
Re: weilii ID help please - lots of them [Re: Macey Howard]
    #956607 - 10/13/02 08:32 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

well they sure smell "musky waxy".  before you said that i was thinking of a sort of clay like smell but not quite.  i mean, most of them are defiantly bruising blue.  i set the prints up last night right when i got home and this morning there is very light spore dropping.  the spores that did drop onto my white 3x5 cards really look purple but again the production is so light that there is a slim chance they are brown...    :confused: 

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: weilii ID help please - lots of them [Re: HybridBudMaster]
    #956609 - 10/13/02 08:34 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I can almost promise you that you didn't find weilii in Virginia.

But nonsence, yes, all mushrooms pictured look like Ps. weilii to me.

Where in Georgia did you find these guys?

Edited by GumbyDude (10/13/02 08:35 AM)

OfflineSomeBum
One of thoseannoying lil'shroom-eatingmaggots
Loc: Northeast Georgia
    #956635 - 10/13/02 09:17 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

While I'm no expert, the smell is definitely the most distinctive factor for me.
If my cat smelled like a weilii, I'd probably eat 'er.

InvisibleHybridBudMaster
Whoa now

#956645 - 10/13/02 09:26 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

The mushrooms that i found that are similiar to this were found on a dirt area next to a soccer field in a park, which was next to a creek. I found mine in atlanta, ga, and they look exactly what he posted, with sort of a crayon type, waxy smell to them. Its very strange.

--------------------
Suck it, Trebek!

OfflineSomeBum
One of thoseannoying lil'shroom-eatingmaggots
Loc: Northeast Georgia
Re: weilii ID help please - lots of them [Re: HybridBudMaster]
    #956654 - 10/13/02 09:45 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

If the prints come out purple and it bruises like a mofo, I bet you gots one :smile:

Really though, All mine turn dark blue from handling.
It may take a few hours to really notice the effect, but the stem goes from light rusty to almost black.
purty :laugh: 

Invisiblenonsence
friend
Re: weilii ID help please - lots of them [Re: Gumby]
    #956662 - 10/13/02 09:53 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

i found them in the roswell / merietta area. just south of cherokee county and north of atlanta. this should be the prime area for weilii from everything i have read.

also, most of them have turned a dark blue.

OfflineRemy
Bitches Brew
 User Gallery

Loc: Atlanta, GA
    #957321 - 10/13/02 03:58 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

If you leave the weilii caps on paper over night with a class covering the cap, they will drop nice spore prints. Compare the smells of the different specimens. Weilii have a very distinct smell, that is unlike any other mushrooms (except for LK's new species which he reported had similar odors). If you want to test bruising on those second speciment, cut the stem off near to the cap, and pinch the remaining portion of the stem. The interesting thing about the second pictures is the lack of white rhizomorphs. These all look very much like weilii, and I doubt very seriously they are anything else. There aren't really any close looks alikes that grow in the same enviroment. Chances are very good that these are all Weilii.

InvisibleHybridBudMaster
Whoa now

#957421 - 10/13/02 04:37 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Well, I picked the same ones you did nonsense, and I ate them around noon. They are defaintly weilii, because I had a pretty good mindtrip and body buzz off of only two small ones I found. I think you may have a good find. Post some more pictures, though, they are good looking mushrooms.

--------------------
Suck it, Trebek!

OfflineGotti
Stranger
    #957603 - 10/13/02 05:47 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

They are all Weilii ... I put my word on it... not all appear like the top pictures you posted and the one in stamets field guide... i have spotted really small ones with thinner stems growing alone and not in bunches... near clusters of the ones identical to stamets guide... did spore prints and tested ... all bruise blue all are active with same prints... caps start out black, dark brown, or even light brown and then change to a grey/blue bruised blue or even fade to a grey/white when not bruising.... and all upon growing to potential get that wavy look almost like a cyanescan... the stems although usually pictured fat i have found many to be much thinner... deceiving but still active weilii

Offlineweilii
Stranger
    #957734 - 10/13/02 06:42 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

ns, you have indeed found weilii.  congradulations!

they are all weilii, btw.  not mixed species.

pw  :smile: 

Edited by weilii (10/13/02 07:25 PM)

OfflineDobie
Dopeless Hopefiend
Male User Gallery
Loc: ON DA BLOCK
Re: weilii ID help please - lots of them [Re: weilii]
    #957740 - 10/13/02 06:44 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

i found weilii too right here^^^^^^^^^^

--------------------
This place is gayer than when the balls touch

Offlineweilii
Stranger
    #957878 - 10/13/02 07:28 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

there are some that look similar--weilii comes in a variety of froms and can look different at various stages of development. send me a private note and i can give you more info.

nice clusters, btw.

pw

Edited by weilii (10/13/02 07:32 PM)

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
    #958079 - 10/13/02 08:48 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Those are all definitely weilii, like above poster said, they come in many shapes and forms and can look very different depending on conditions and stage of development. Looks like you did pretty good for driving blindly into unknown territory. Glad you were able to collect ehough info from my postings to find them on your own :smile:

LK,

--------------------

Invisiblenonsence
friend
Re: weilii ID help please - lots of them [Re: Lizard King]
    #958149 - 10/13/02 09:10 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

:cool: this is sooo sweeeet  :laugh: 

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
    #958198 - 10/13/02 09:26 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Ain't it though! If I drove down from TN to find weilii and DID I be happy as hell too :smile:

LK,

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck