Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinexbrutalx233
Learner
Male

Loc: Planet X
Re: Polyfil instead of Tyvek for jar GE? [Re: galadar]
    #9569399 - 01/08/09 07:23 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Is there a reason you don't want to use micropore only? that's what I do.

--------------------
:mushroom2:

:mushroom2:

I do not grow anything that is illegal... Everything is of the legal variety... if someone mentions any illegal activity it isn't me...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejadels215

#9569588 - 01/08/09 08:31 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

i used polyfil on my brf jars

i forgot to create an inoculation port so i just injected through the polyfil.

they're at day 11 now. 50% colonized and no contams

OfflineHybridprX
Biodegrader of coir
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #9569980 - 01/08/09 10:22 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Works fine for me too

--------------------

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Polyfil instead of Tyvek for jar GE? [Re: tokingnome]
    #9571465 - 01/08/09 02:52 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

tokingnome said:
I have a LOT of polyfil atm and no tyvek so I was wondering if I could just spread some polyfil over the GE holes on my lids and tape some micropore tape over that?

Stuff it instead. You will get a tighter fit and a better seal

Quote:

tokingnome said:
Would this work as well as tyvek?

Polyfill works better than tyvek

Here is one reason why it is better. Lets say you made 2 grain jars, one with polyfill stuffed in a 1/2 inch hole and one with a tyvek lid/disc. If you took both jars during colonization and flipped them upside down and had substrate lying on the tyvek/polyfill. The tyvek jar will most likely contam. The nutrient rich grain will slightly wetten[is that a word?] both filter membranes. The tyvek being thinner has a much greater chance of drawing in contams once it gets wet. The polyfill since it will be about an 1/2inch of filter until it reaches the outside will have to draw in contams.
This is the same reason why tyvek is a no go with lc's.
Now polyfill is a pain in the ass to stuff into a hole. The tyvek is much easier to use than polyfill.

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

Offlinetokingnome
Stranger

Loc: PNW
Re: Polyfil instead of Tyvek for jar GE? [Re: tahoe]
    #9571746 - 01/08/09 03:48 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

tahoe said:
Quote:

tokingnome said:
I have a LOT of polyfil atm and no tyvek so I was wondering if I could just spread some polyfil over the GE holes on my lids and tape some micropore tape over that?

Stuff it instead. You will get a tighter fit and a better seal

Quote:

tokingnome said:
Would this work as well as tyvek?

Polyfill works better than tyvek

Here is one reason why it is better. Lets say you made 2 grain jars, one with polyfill stuffed in a 1/2 inch hole and one with a tyvek lid/disc. If you took both jars during colonization and flipped them upside down and had substrate lying on the tyvek/polyfill. The tyvek jar will most likely contam. The nutrient rich grain will slightly wetten[is that a word?] both filter membranes. The tyvek being thinner has a much greater chance of drawing in contams once it gets wet. The polyfill since it will be about an 1/2inch of filter until it reaches the outside will have to draw in contams.
This is the same reason why tyvek is a no go with lc's.
Now polyfill is a pain in the ass to stuff into a hole. The tyvek is much easier to use than polyfill.

Oooh that makes sense. I always wondered what was the big difference between the two when it came to using them as contam barriers. I thought about pressing the polyfil over the hole then taping that down with micropore because that would help keep the grains from touching any polyfil; however I see where you're coming from with the seal, probably wouldn't be very good. Thanks for the info!

Well I have all of my jars stuffed with polyfil (3/8 in holes) and will be PC'ing them here in a few hours then innoculating them tonight. Wish me luck! I got some pics so I'll start a grow long once I see some mycelium growth.

--------------------
Confucius say, "Man who go to bed with itchy butt, wake up with stinky finger." :strokebeard2:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale