Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineChunks
Stranger
ID PLease
    #955196 - 10/12/02 04:19 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I don't have a pic yet but i will describe as best I can.

Some friends and I were hunting one of my friends fields and found a lot of mushrooms (same species) which were all growing on cow dung and were mostly white, dark grey gills, no halo, slightly browning top, sticky cap. I tried putting the stem in a metol/h2o solution to see if it blued any but didnt, So I assume it isn't active and is probably poisonous. Oh yeah and these were found in southeast AL. I will try to get some pics sooner or later.

Oh yeah they were probly 1 - 1/2 inches in diameter and stem height probly 3 inches and were really thin.

We Also came across some HUUUUUUGE shrooms that grew in clumps that were almost 12 inches in diameter large bulbous stems... amazing.... very fragrant, almost completely white. i've never seen anything like them

Edited by Chunks (10/12/02 04:25 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineviscid
dikaryon

Loc: the mycological center of...
Re: ID PLease [Re: Chunks]
    #955267 - 10/12/02 04:54 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

would love to see pics.
the big cluster of white guys sounds unusual, were they really clustered together and huge?
you say the mushrooms you were interested in were browning a little on the cap, you mean bruising brown or slightly brown colored? they werent bruising at all?
they were sticky just on the surface of the cap (viscid) - did you try to peel off the skin on the cap? why didnt you take a spore print? what the heck did you put on it to get a reaction?
psilocybes that blue just blue, from enzymes in the mushroom that act on the indoles.
the description sounds like a mixed description of psilocybe and panaeolus mushrooms.
describe again, please.

OfflineChunks
Stranger
Re: ID PLease [Re: viscid]
    #955598 - 10/12/02 08:14 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

The ones that grew on dung were brown on top, they didnt really bruise at all except just got a little darker in the areas that you would break them. And it was just sticky on top didnt have any film on the cap. And the big ones were growing in groups of 3 or 4 and grew so close that they completely surounded each other to where it looked like one massive shroom. I doubt they are still around anymore because its been a couple of days without rain but i will definitely take pics if i see them again.

The solution thing i used Is a 20:1 ration solution of water and metol, commercially known as Dektol? which is made by Kodak, it's used to develop black and white pictures. But anyway the active ingredient in it when exposed to psylobycin mushrooms creates a bluing effect similar to bruising except its much more visible. I read about it on some shroom site, Although I don't know if it has worked because I have only tested it on 2 types of shrooms that probly werent active.

Edited by Chunks (10/12/02 08:26 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification