Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineberad2
PooHopper
 User Gallery

Loc: TX
Some basic questions.
    #9543652 - 01/04/09 12:50 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Alright, Bills new here and hes got a couple of questions. Yes, he did search the previous posts. He found some useful info but feels that he could benefit from a little Q&A. 1st attempt is under way. Bill put 5 ccs in a 2lb prehydrated and stylized rye bag. Hes incubating in his closet at temps that fluctuate between 81.4F to 83.3F. Is this fluctuation going to cause any abnormalities? If so what kind? Once Bill sees full colonization should he initiate pinning in the bag or remove the substrate entirely into another container (e.g. a 2" deep gladwear)? And then will this be fine by itself or should he attempt a casing? And finally is it true that lighting is not that serious? Just enough light to read by and 12/12 cycle is sufficient? Thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblearp180
student of life
 User Gallery

Loc: Macondo
Re: Some basic questions. [Re: berad2]
    #9543674 - 01/04/09 12:55 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

The fluctuation of the temperature is not that big of deal, the actual temp is.  83 is way too high for a bag, lower by about 5-8 degrees.  Rye by itself is not good for fruiting directly.  I would recommend using the colonized rye as spawn.

--------------------
"Given the choice between the experience of pain and nothing, I would choose pain."  William Faulkner

"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
-A quote from the Judge in the novel Blood Meridian; or the Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthy

"Let there be light" My Quick Reference Guide to Lighting
My AutoMono (11oz First Flush)
My Monster Mushroom Mono (9.3oz First Flush)

OfflinePOWAtrippinDiscord
Decidedly Undecided.
Male User Gallery

Loc: zone 9b
Re: Some basic questions. [Re: arp180]
    #9543692 - 01/04/09 12:58 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I think rye does the best of all the grains for the most part though...  But at the very least spawn to verm or something.

Fill tray atleast half way full of verm, cover with foil, bake at 350 for a half hour or so, add refriderated water to lower the temp after removing from the oven, fill the rest of the tray with spawn and mix up.

THE END.

How easy.

I haven't had one tray contam like that even using coffee and a couple minor nutes.

--------------------
Don't believe everything you think.  TRADE LIST

‹Sell Your Soul› You know this place is owned and operated by the Illuminati, right?
‹lsdwithme› i possibly just smoked a rat turd :facepalm:

OfflineCascadian
Feel like a Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cascadia
    #9543698 - 01/04/09 01:01 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Just enough light to read by and 12/12 cycle is sufficient

As you progress and develop better techniques, you might want to consider lighting more, but for now, it's totally secondary.  Mushrooms will grow if theres enough light for you to see them for a few hours a day.  They wont be a perfect carpet, but chances are you have made other limitations on them due to mistakes.

Good luck!

Offlineanakin3197
JEDI MASTER
 User Gallery

#9543701 - 01/04/09 01:02 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

grains are usually ment to be spawnd, they do much much better when they are. and is would only cost like 5  dollars to spawn it to coir, which you can get at petsamrt, or a pet supply place.i would keep the temp 76-79, it seems to work a lil better. light 12/12 is good.

OfflineABC
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Some basic questions. [Re: POWAtrippin]
    #9543711 - 01/04/09 01:03 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Agreed, lower to ~75 degrees-ish.
massage bags once 50% colonized, and spawn to a bulk substrate (such as coir or manure) when fully colonized

light is a secondary pinning trigger. fresh air, humidity and temperature are more important, but the light will help. maybe get a "daylight" bulb, for better results

Offlineanakin3197
JEDI MASTER
 User Gallery

Re: Some basic questions. [Re: ABC]
    #9543761 - 01/04/09 01:17 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

i always use coir, but next time im thinking bout using poo and coir mix. the light should be as close to 6500k has you can get,

Offlineberad2
PooHopper
 User Gallery

#9543782 - 01/04/09 01:22 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks, some good tips. Could I case with just coir or does everyone recommend the 50/50 tek?

Offlineanakin3197
JEDI MASTER
 User Gallery

#9543785 - 01/04/09 01:23 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

ive never cased with coir, i think some have. i always spawn to coir

Invisiblearp180
student of life
 User Gallery

Re: Some basic questions. [Re: anakin3197]
    #9543910 - 01/04/09 01:47 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

You shouldn't case with coir.  A casing is meant to have a low to zero nutritional content. 

I think you might still be confused on the process; Here is an outline

inoculate your rye bag

Colonize at a temp around 75

Once 30%+ of the bag is colonized, massage the grains and wait for 100% colonization

Prepare your bulk substrate( hydrate and pasteurize) If using coir the easiest method to accomplish this is to bring water to a boil and dump in a covered bucket with the coir.  Once cooled, squeeze out the excess water.  This is more of a semi-sterilization, but it will work.  Proper pasteurization requires keeping your substrate at temp of around 160 degrees for an hour.

Spawn your colonized grain to your prepared coir at a ratio of 1 part spawn, to 4 parts coir.
Once this is 100% colonized, you can case with a non-nutritious casing, or introduce to fc

I recommend looking up monotubs, search main posts by monster mitch and he has detailed tek out there that will explain things much better.

--------------------
"Given the choice between the experience of pain and nothing, I would choose pain."  William Faulkner

-A quote from the Judge in the novel Blood Meridian; or the Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthy

Offlineberad2
PooHopper
 User Gallery

#9544237 - 01/04/09 02:54 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

thanks a ton, bill is now scrambling to get his temp right.

Edited by berad2 (01/04/09 02:57 PM)

Offlineberad2
PooHopper
 User Gallery

#9544280 - 01/04/09 03:04 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

if his colonization temp is 7 degrees lower than he thought should his fruiting temp be altered as well? he has PR spores.

--------------------
Nothing I've contributed here is true. I'm just a very bored and lonely loser with nothing better to do than pretend to have a hobby.

Offlineanakin3197
JEDI MASTER
 User Gallery

#9544332 - 01/04/09 03:13 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

a beginner, and pr. i wish you the very very best of luck, even though it will prolly take ya months to get pins.

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
Trusted Cultivator
    #9544371 - 01/04/09 03:23 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

anakin3197 said:
a beginner, and pr. i wish you the very very best of luck, even though it will prolly take ya months to get pins.

Why? It's a cubensis, no? If it is, then it's as easy to grow as any other cube strain, or am I mistaken? If it was significantly more difficult than any other cube strain why would people want to grow it at all? This doesn't make any logical sense to me.
The whole "B+ is really easy to grow, but Shlongalongica Gigantus is a strain that's really difficult to grow" sounds more like esoteric to me. If it's a cube and you know what you are doing you'll get results, no matter what. All cubes like the same environmental conditions. If one strain fruits really shitty while the other produces good results well, then in my book it's time to throw the shitty strain out.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

Offlineanakin3197
JEDI MASTER
 User Gallery

Re: Some basic questions. [Re: German Kahuna]
    #9544406 - 01/04/09 03:31 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

ah, some people say that the strain is irrevelant. in the strains that i have grown, pr is the hardest. its very very rizo, and a few other people that have tried to grow it have had the same results. and again, it comes down to some people think that a strain is stronger than b. me personally,  when i tried pr, it colonized super fast, but took three months to pin. now you may say i was doing something wrong. but i had other strains in the same fc started at the same time, and they pinned alot faster. then you may say it was because it was ms. point taken. but you have to think that most new people, if not all, dont have experiences with lcs, agar, islotaing, and cloning, thus not allowing them the chance to isolate a good strain. that is why i say that its a very diffuclt strain, as some people will agree.

Invisiblearp180
student of life
 User Gallery

#9544462 - 01/04/09 03:40 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

The strain of cubensis has nothing to do with colonization speed, or Rhizo growth, or the time it takes to pin.  This is not a matter of opinion anakin and it is a matter of fact. The pinning problems you experienced were most likely the result of ms genetics.  In the future, please read over your posts and edit for grammar and spelling.

--------------------

Offlineanakin3197
JEDI MASTER
 User Gallery

#9545502 - 01/04/09 05:52 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

thats why i was saying it was from my experience. and i might have been due to it being ms, and yes it is my opinion, along with the others on here, that have tried the pr. and I'm sorry that i didn't go to college, so that i could write a proper paragraph, on my experiences with mushrooms. i will try to take that into consideration next time i do. and yes it probably was genetics for me. but what about everyone else, that has had problems, the ones that are alot more experienced than me, and know more about the genetics of a strain than me. but like i said, some people say this, and some people say that.  and I'm going to spell check it for ya.

OfflineCascadian
Feel like a Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cascadia
    #9546427 - 01/04/09 07:40 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Pressing 'check spelling' before you post doesn't require a college degree, and helps you make your point better. 

Someone advocating one position with capitalized letters and proper grammar instantly sounds more reliable than someone arguing an opposing viewpoint with the word 'difficult' spelled wrong and doesn't bother to capitalize their 'I's'.

Offlineanakin3197
JEDI MASTER
 User Gallery

Re: Some basic questions. [Re: Cascadian]
    #9546636 - 01/04/09 08:04 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I am sorry that I did not capitalize my I's for the people, that hinge on every single letter. I will try to do better in the future. Whether or not someone misses a letter, because their distracted, doesn't mean, wait I better fix that, because its a double negative, ah i don't care. Anyway what I was saying, that they should be taken with less regard, than someone who does take the time to capitalize a i. That one isn't, because I'm not talking about me. I did not know that everyone was so concerned about spelling. This is not a forum about spelling bees, and such. Again, I apologize for my mistakes. And I will try to do better in future posts.

Invisiblearp180
student of life
 User Gallery

#9546752 - 01/04/09 08:16 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I agree, this is forum and spelling and grammar do not need to be perfect. However, when the spelling and grammar are so atrocious that they make reading the post a challenge, this does create a problem.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale