Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAaladorn
 User Gallery

Loc: Texas
Went shroom hunting again.
    #953805 - 10/12/02 12:46 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

This evening I went back to the same field from the other day, and found more Psilocybe cubensis (they're in a lot better shape).  I also found some mushrooms that I couldn't identify, I didn't bring any home with me and I didn't get a spore print.  So I'm going to have to just describe them as I remember them.

They're a lot like the cubensis that I've been picking, they have the same smell they're about the same size (maybe a little bigger), the colors are close (these are more white, but the middle of the caps are still tannish color). 

The differences though are that these have white gills and they bruise a rust color (very quickly, like cubensis turn blue).  Also, they were not found growing from dung, they were in a large fairy-ring spaced pretty far apart.

Anyone know what these might be?  Sorry I don't have more information. :confused:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAaladorn
 User Gallery

Loc: Texas
Re: Went shroom hunting again. [Re: Aaladorn]
    #953817 - 10/12/02 12:53 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Before anyone says anything I'll just guess what these mushrooms are that I found. Tricholoma populinum

Please correct me if you know what they are. I'll try to get pictures if I encounter them again. I didn't take any with me because I only had one bag and I didn't want them mixed up with the others.

Edited by Aaladorn (10/12/02 12:54 AM)

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Went shroom hunting again. [Re: Aaladorn]
    #954206 - 10/12/02 03:07 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I'll assume that you've seen photos of Tricholoma populinum along with reading a description. In order to be sure we need to know what kinds of trees they were growing near.

You also noted that they smelled the same as Psilocybe cubensis. T. populinum has a strong farinaceous (mealy) odor. If your specimens didn't smell strongly of meal, then that would suggest Tricholoma ustale, a nearly identical looking species which is lacking in odor.

In general, your description matches the group of mushrooms similar to Tricholoma pessundatum, of which T. populinum is the only one considered edible.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification