Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRemy
Bitches Brew
 User Gallery

Loc: Atlanta, GA
New Cubensis Strain?
    #952218 - 10/11/02 06:16 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

A couple weeks ago, I was looking through the fields at a horse farm here in GA, and I found a small group of Psilocybe Cubensis, growing from the horse manure/manure enriched soil. All specimens where much smaller than normal cubes (closer in size to pan subbs). They also seemed to bruise darker than nomral Cubes. I found several patches of these, and have a limited number of spore prints to offer out. Does this sound like a new strain? Would anyone be interested in cultivating this?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: New Cubensis Strain? [Re: Remy]
    #952267 - 10/11/02 06:29 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Cubensis= cubensis= cubensis. Most of the strain differentiations are a marketing gimick. It's the same mushroom, sure it may grow a little different, but it's still Psilocybe cubensis. You could call every Cubensis you find in a different field if you wanted to.

OfflineRemy
Bitches Brew
 User Gallery

Re: New Cubensis Strain? [Re: Gumby]
    #952305 - 10/11/02 06:38 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I understand that, but in every the majority of species of living creatures, there exsist many sub-species/strains/races/breeds/whatever you want to call them. Two varieties of the same species of Cannabis, can have completely different characteristics boths chemically and physically (in appearance). Of course the ability to reproduce heterosexually is a key factor in this, but enviromental factors have a very important effect over the genetics and evolution of a particular strain. I can see how many strains are basically the same, but these cubes seem quite a bit a different than many others I have seen. It may be in the interest of mycology, if nothing else, to experiment with these.

OfflineKoOs
BlingBling!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Glendive MT
    #952369 - 10/11/02 06:59 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Get a pic.

--------------------

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
Re: New Cubensis Strain? [Re: Gumby]
    #952941 - 10/11/02 03:50 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

is pot pot pot pot?

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
    #953135 - 10/11/02 05:48 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

a mushroom strain is simply a mushroom who that has been geneticaly isolated so that future mushrooms of the strain will have the same genes. tecnicaly speaking, just about any two cubies you find from different fruitings will be geneticaly diverse, hence, a different strain.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
Re: New Cubensis Strain? [Re: canid]
    #953375 - 10/11/02 07:50 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I found cubesin growing form horse dung last year also remy, it was actually my subb field. Basically same characteristics that you described, I'll post pics tommarow. Now last year and again this year I found cubes growing from wood shavings with very little horse dung mixed in, the mycelium was running all through the wood chips and no horse dung was found under or around the cunensis, it was a sight to see. I'll also post pics of those tommaorw. This woodchip cubie was definitely a different strain of cubensis, extremely potent and extremely purty :smile:

LK,

--------------------

OfflineRemy
Bitches Brew
 User Gallery

Re: New Cubensis Strain? [Re: Lizard King]
    #953714 - 10/11/02 10:13 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Ya, the ones I found where much smaller and much more potent than any cubes Id tried. They bruised like weilii! My digital camera isn't working right now unfortunately, otherwise I could show everyone some weilii and cubes pics :frown:

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: New Cubensis Strain? [Re: Raadt]
    #954910 - 10/12/02 12:04 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Pot is a whole nother' conversation in it's self. When you get into the "pot is pot" conversation you have to throw hybridization, selective breeding, and other genetics that have been compromised by man into the mix. Different strains of pot have diffrent charateristics because they of different amounts of recessive/dominate genes from each species(indica/sativa), and have been selectively bred for maximum THC production. It just doesn't work to use the two as a comparison.

Offlineviscid
dikaryon
I'm a teapot

Loc: the mycological center of...
    #955352 - 10/12/02 03:24 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

strain.
hmmmm.
sativa/indica.
they interbreed, yet have diff characteristics.
strain.
species. dont. interbreed.
your strain can only be a true "strain" if the spores produce offspring that fruit the same and this can be repeated. isolation.
you should do the work. it would be fun.
pics would be cool, but wouldnt clarify anything.

now koh samuiensis and treasures are certainly different strains, but they will interbreed and produce new "strains".
strains are so variable in mushrooms because there can be hundreds of "sexes".
no male/female, but a/b/c/d/e/f/g/h/i/j/k/l/m/n/o/p etc.
so hybrid morphology is super complex. to get a strain, you have to do the work.
peace.

--------------------
You do not know me.

You can't see me.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom