Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineEureka
The Ambitious
Male

Extremely slow growth
    #9532640 - 01/02/09 03:36 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Well, to start off with I had a total of 6 pf tek BRF jars.

I lost 2 because I injected spores too quickly after flame sterilizing, probably killing everything I squeezed out. 2 of my jars took over 3-4 weeks to colonize which just seems waay to long to colonize for 1/2 pint jars.  I am still waiting on my other 2, 1 of which only had one successful innoc point so I had to wait for it to catch up. The weird thing is that this jar with one innoc point easily caught up to a jar with 2.

Well, the problem with these 2, if not both, is that they are taking 5 (will be 6 because I have to make sure inside is colonized) weeks.

Then, in my fruiting chamber (shotgun), the 2 cakes are there have been in for about 5 days and I cant tell anything is happening, and Ive looked at every angle and as close as possible. There is a very tiny amount of bruising on the cakes, in pinpoints, almost unnoticeable.

Am I just being impatient or is something weird going on?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Extremely slow growth [Re: Eureka]
    #9532657 - 01/02/09 03:39 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Eureka said:
I lost 2 because I injected spores too quickly after flame sterilizing, probably killing everything I squeezed out.

I doubt this was an issue. Both the substrate and the first drop of liquid will cool down the needle to safe temps well before you have injected all the solution.

The main problems that cause slow colonization are either a slightly overwet substrate (try adding a little less water next time, it varies with the grade of vermiculite) or overpacking of substrate. Try and get the contents of the jars as fluffy as possible.

--------------------
Newcomers guide-----> For all things shroomy

Invisibledjmako7
Antitransubstantiationalist
 User Gallery

Loc: A shady spot under a tree
Re: Extremely slow growth [Re: Nibin]
    #9532741 - 01/02/09 03:59 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

It could be strain  too. I have had trains that take about a month to colonize half pints. There are many factors too I.E. Preparation of growing medium, incubation temps, gas exchange etc.

--------------------

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Extremely slow growth [Re: djmako7]
    #9532767 - 01/02/09 04:04 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

djmako7 said:
It could be strain  too. I have had trains that take about a month to colonize half pints. There are many factors too I.E. Preparation of growing medium, incubation temps, gas exchange etc.

OP is probably using multispore so strain it totally and absolutely indifferent.

You can't say such and such a strain does so and so using multispore as each jar will have different genetics and behave differently.

--------------------

Invisibledjmako7
 User Gallery

#9532781 - 01/02/09 04:05 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Nibin said:
Quote:

djmako7 said:

OP is probably using multispore so strain it totally and absolutely indifferent.

You can't say such and such a strain does so and so using multispore as each jar will have different genetics and behave differently.

Ok then let me rephrase.

--------------------

OfflineEureka
The Ambitious
Male

#9532784 - 01/02/09 04:05 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Nibin said:
Quote:

Eureka said:
I lost 2 because I injected spores too quickly after flame sterilizing, probably killing everything I squeezed out.

I doubt this was an issue. Both the substrate and the first drop of liquid will cool down the needle to safe temps well before you have injected all the solution.

The main problems that cause slow colonization are either a slightly overwet substrate (try adding a little less water next time, it varies with the grade of vermiculite) or overpacking of substrate. Try and get the contents of the jars as fluffy as possible.

Ah. well with my noob skills the best I could explain 4(and a half lol) innoc sites lost is because I didn't wait at all enough for the needle to cool. What would you say happened to a jar when only 1 of the 2 innoc sites grows? Blew my mind lol. Maybe low quality spore solution?

I used approx. 1/4 cup water for every cup of verm. It seemed dry, but maybe it would be worth mentioning that there was quite a bit of water drops/ moisture on the inside of jar?

The verm I have is not soily at all, its more like tiny pebbles than grains of sand. And I guess for the fruiting chamber, maybe its because I live in the deep southwest, where the humidity in our houses is like nothing?

EDIT: was pink buffalo supposedly

Edited by Eureka (01/02/09 04:09 PM)

Invisibledjmako7
 User Gallery

Re: Extremely slow growth [Re: djmako7]
    #9532785 - 01/02/09 04:06 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

djmako7 said:
It could be genetics. There are many factors too I.E. Preparation of growing medium, incubation temps, gas exchange etc.

--------------------

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Extremely slow growth [Re: Eureka]
    #9532820 - 01/02/09 04:12 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Where did the spores come from?

--------------------

OfflineEureka
The Ambitious
Male

#9532838 - 01/02/09 04:17 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I got them from Microsporetech. I would have ordered from a shroomery sponsor, but I really hadn't researched a whole lot and microsporetech is like less than a day's ship away (not to mention cheap). I've heard decent things about them, and at least they gave me something that grows mycellium at this point :confused:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck