Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Loc: Seattle Flag
Slime mold
    #9525208 - 12/31/08 07:45 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I searched the site and tried in the Contamination forum first so I am sorry if this doesnt belong here.

How dangerous is slime mold? Can it kill mycelium or does it only affect uncolonized substrate? I have some white-stemmed, white-pearled slime mold in some salvaged mycelium from a local high school. I have had the mycelium colonizing wet cardboard in a covered tub for a few weeks and the slime mold showed up yesterday, but only a few tiny spots. I removed all visible pieces, should I be worried?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Re: Slime mold [Re: Twiztidsage]
    #9526148 - 01/01/09 01:32 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

no love or no knowledge?

anything is appreciated!:thumbup:

OfflinePsychOfMSE
Out of the loop for too long
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Midwest
    #9526806 - 01/01/09 09:31 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I don't have much experience with contams but most molds can't be "cut away".  By cutting the contaminated spots off all you did was spread the mold's spores around all over the place.  Now your whole work area is covered in mold spores.

Generally whenver I see a contam, I don't risk it.  I chuck the jar/casing/tub and start over new.  No sense in risking it.

--------------------
"I think it's impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves." - Orson Scott Card

Agar's Grain LC Tek <--- Never fool with honey water and contaminated LCs again!
Large_Dose's Ohmatic Monotub Tek
Monstermitch's LC/WBS/Monotub/Casing Tek

Invisibleslacker008
Resident Psychiatrist
 User Gallery

Loc: A wave of reality.
Re: Slime mold [Re: PsychOfMSE]
    #9526835 - 01/01/09 09:47 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

wrong forum? try contams.

--------------------
..beneath the chaos of the world, all is secretly well..

Rebuilding my DNA.

OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Re: Slime mold [Re: PsychOfMSE]
    #9528037 - 01/01/09 03:38 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

PsychOfMSE said:
I don't have much experience with contams but most molds can't be "cut away".  By cutting the contaminated spots off all you did was spread the mold's spores around all over the place.  Now your whole work area is covered in mold spores.

Generally whenver I see a contam, I don't risk it.  I chuck the jar/casing/tub and start over new.  No sense in risking it.

That is what I'm wondering. Do slime molds (which aren't fungus) spread spores in the same way that fungus does? And so far it has only affected uncolonized substrate, will it eat mycelium?

I cannot start over new with salvaged mycelium. I salvaged it from a school and have no spores. I suppose I could dip a peice of mycelium in peroxide and kinda G2G.

If slime molds eat only substrate not mycelium then I am not worried because the whole big tub is almost fully colonized, and it appears to stay away from the mycelium.

as I said sorry if this is the wrong forum but I tried Contams and they didn't help; I figured since this is related to the cultivation of mushrooms that it wasn't too much of a push....

Offlinesrfchsr
Trippin' Fool

Loc: Left Coast
    #9530162 - 01/02/09 12:02 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Recently SWIM had Myc. overtake a WBS jar with slime on the bottom.  I turned it upside-down and a few days later everything was nice and colonized.  Spawned to bulk and had a great 1st flush.

OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Re: Slime mold [Re: srfchsr]
    #9530479 - 01/02/09 01:43 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

slime, or slime mold? Anyway thank you for your info on your experience....

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract