Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Re: Blagojevich in a bold move appoints a senator for Illinois [Re: Ferris]
    #9527119 - 01/01/09 11:44 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I think anything he does at this point is going to blow up in his face

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLozo
Stranger
Male

Loc: Southern California
Re: Blagojevich in a bold move appoints a senator for Illinois [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #9527338 - 01/01/09 12:51 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I LOL at this idiot. American CNN and such would rather talk about this piece of garbage (who really does not matter) than the atrocities being committed by Israel. smh

--------------------
"As we increasingly master our perceptions, beliefs, and thought/feeling patterns, we magnetically attract that which we most desire."
-Luanne Oakes

Edited by Lozo (01/01/09 12:51 PM)

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Re: Blagojevich in a bold move appoints a senator for Illinois [Re: Coaster]
    #9551560 - 01/05/09 02:45 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Democrats may block Burris from seat — physically

Senate Democratic leaders think Roland Burris, Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich's pick to fill President-elect Barack Obama's vacant Senate seat, will likely show up on Capitol Hill Tuesday for the opening day of Congress, according to a Democratic aide familiar with Senate Democratic leaders' plans.

They have prepared a contingency plan in case he does, the aide added.

Burris will not be allowed on the Senate floor, according to this aide and a Senate Democratic leadership aide.
The aide familiar with Senate Democratic leaders’ plans said if Burris tries to enter the Senate chamber, the Senate doorkeeper will stop Burris. If Burris were to persist, either trying to force his way onto the Senate floor or refusing to leave and causing a scene, U.S. Capitol Police would stop him, said the aide.
“They (police) probably won’t arrest him” but they would call the sergeant-at-arms,” the aide said.
When asked about what would happen if he shows up and tries to be seated, Burris told the Chicago Tribune that he’s, “not going to create a scene in Washington.” He added, “We hope it’s negotiated out prior to my going to Washington.”

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/01/01/aides-democrats-have-plan-if-burris-shows-up/

Democrats gone wild. :rofl2:

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

InvisibleFerris
PsychedelicJourneyman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Blagojevich in a bold move appoints a senator for Illinois [Re: lonestar2004]
    #9551574 - 01/05/09 02:47 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

This can't be serious news.  Surely they have lawyers to tell them that even if this is in fact legal, which I doubt, that it's an affront to democracy

--------------------

Discuss Politics

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
    #9551638 - 01/05/09 03:00 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Only us little people have to obey their laws.....

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
    #9554116 - 01/05/09 09:14 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
this new senator can be refused by the senate, they have the
authority by a 2/3 vote to refuse him the seat

Authority?  Seems like that's illegal to me and bad policy.  This was a properly made appointment.  The fact that people are talking about physically blocking his access is ridiculous.

Quote:

Section 3. The Senate of the United States shall be composed of two Senators from each state, chosen by the legislature thereof, for six years; and each Senator shall have one vote.

Art. II

He was properly appointed and they have no buisness blocking his seating.  If they want to make new qualifications or something it seems like they can, but they have to apply to everyone equally and they can't just say he's not qualified by a vote under the fourteenth amendment.  Seems quite similar to bush v gore with that.

If they want to expell him it seems like they have the authority, but why are people talking about refusing to seat him?  This seems like an afront to the constitution.  Any body who tries to physically block this man should be arrested and any senator who does so or orders such should be expelled.

The people have a right to have their representatives seated according to the constitution, and just cuz he's unpopular, actually percisely because he's unpopular, doesn't mean the legislature has the authority to or should block him from being seated.

Does anyone have authority to the contrary or wish to defend these proposed actions?  If I got my representative to congress to enact my views, they would be quite unpopular.  I don't want the same bastards that have destroyed our budget and our rights to have the ability to refuse entry to their club anyone who would dare differ with them.

OfflineTGRR
Horrible Bastard

#9554143 - 01/05/09 09:17 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Ferris said:
This can't be serious news.  Surely they have lawyers to tell them that even if this is in fact legal, which I doubt, that it's an affront to democracy

He can name anyone he pleases.  The Senate has to agree to seat that person, and the Senate has already said they will seat nobody that he appoints.

--------------------
What can we do to help you stop screaming?

Official Mr Shoebat lackey.

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
Re: Blagojevich in a bold move appoints a senator for Illinois [Re: TGRR]
    #9554176 - 01/05/09 09:21 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Source for the proposition that the senate has to agree to seat him?  I've cited my authority.  He was properly appointed and that's that.  I see no requirement that the senate approve.

The state and people of illinois are to blame (legislature almost exclusivly) for this bullshit.  If they had gotten off their asses and though further ahead than the next opportunity to 'save the children' by putting them in jail, they could have stopped this.

OfflineTGRR
Horrible Bastard

Re: Blagojevich in a bold move appoints a senator for Illinois [Re: johnm214]
    #9554203 - 01/05/09 09:26 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

"Burris does not have to be formally approved by the Senate. But if there is a question about the appointment, the Senate could reject the appointment and immediately vacate the seat, or vote to seat the senator pending an investigation by the Rules Committee or another body, associate Senate Historian Don Ritchie said."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/12/30/illinois.senate/index.html

This is constitutional because:

Article I, sec 5, clause 2:

Each House may determine the Rules of its Proceedings, punish its Members for disorderly Behavior, and, with the Concurrence of two-thirds, expel a Member."

--------------------
What can we do to help you stop screaming?

Official Mr Shoebat lackey.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #9556010 - 01/06/09 04:49 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

> He was properly appointed and that's that.  I see no requirement that the senate approve.

Actually, he hasn't been 'properly appointed'.  The Rules of the Senate state:
Quote:

The Secretary shall keep a record of the certificates of election and certificates of appointment of Senators by entering in a well bound book kept for that purpose the date of the election or appointment, the name of the person elected or appointed, the date of the certificate, the name of the governor and the secretary of state signing and countersigning the same, and the State from which such Senator is elected or appointed.

Although the Illinois Governor has signed the appointment certificate, the Illinois Secretary of State has refused to do so.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #9557947 - 01/06/09 02:12 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

johnm214 said:
Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
this new senator can be refused by the senate, they have the
authority by a 2/3 vote to refuse him the seat

Authority?  Seems like that's illegal to me and bad policy.  This was a properly made appointment.  The fact that people are talking about physically blocking his access is ridiculous.

"The Constitution does not vest in the Congress a discretionary power to deny membership by majority vote,"  Chief Justice Earl Warren 1969

burris isnt elected by a majority vote

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
    #9559109 - 01/06/09 05:43 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Yes, John is correct, this appointment is bulletproof.

There is absolutely nothing anyone can do to stop it.  White will be compelled to sign by any judge in the country.  The "certification" process is only meant to be ceremonial, it doesn't actually confer any authority to reject a nominee.  It was explained to me today to be a relic from the early days of the State of Illinois when a new Senator arriving in Washington might not be preceded by his reputation, or indeed anyone who knew him at all.  So he would be required to have a "certification" signed by the Secretary of State that he could use as his credentials to be admitted.

What an incredible move by Blago.  He is an evil political genius.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Blagojevich in a bold move appoints a senator for Illinois [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #9559217 - 01/06/09 06:00 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

> He is an evil political genius.

His job is on the line... not that smart, getting caught with the hand in the cookie jar.

> White will be compelled to sign by any judge in the country.

On what grounds?  I don't know Illinois law, nor have I studied the Illinois State Constitution, so I am not sure that the Secretary of State of Illinois can be compelled to sign something or not.  You may belittle the process as "ceremonial", but it is there, and it must be followed, regardless.  To ignore things simply because we feel that they are trivial sets a dangerous precedent.  How long before elected officials are deciding that things like the US Constitution are just inconvenient bits of paper that can be safely ignored?

Blago is an idiot... he just burned every last bridge he might have had with the Democrat Party.  He just spit in the face of the President Elect, the US Senate, and the Illinois Legislature.

--------------------

OfflinexFrockx
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast
Re: Blagojevich in a bold move appoints a senator for Illinois [Re: Seuss]
    #9563041 - 01/07/09 08:34 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Blagoiavich is innocent until proven guilty.

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
    #9563453 - 01/07/09 10:10 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
On what grounds?  I don't know Illinois law, nor have I studied the Illinois State Constitution, so I am not sure that the Secretary of State of Illinois can be compelled to sign something or not.  You may belittle the process as "ceremonial", but it is there, and it must be followed, regardless.  To ignore things simply because we feel that they are trivial sets a dangerous precedent.  How long before elected officials are deciding that things like the US Constitution are just inconvenient bits of paper that can be safely ignored?

Quote:

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/01/jesse-white-ive-been-made-the-fall-guy.html

Illinois Secretary of State Jesse White said this morning he has been made "the fall guy" by the U.S. Senate, which he said is using him as an excuse to not seat Roland Burris.

"They could have seated him without my signature; my signature is not required,"
he told WGN-AM 720's John Williams.

The Senate barrred Burris Tuesday, saying he lacked proper credentials because his appointment was not signed by White.

But White said today, "My signature is mostly ceremonial, rather than a point of law."

"They played a little bit of a game with [Burris] yesterday," he added.

Asked by Williams if he had been made "the fall guy," White said, "You're absolutely correct.")

I wasn't being glib.

It really is ceremonial.

They'll have to seat Burris.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

InvisibleFerris
PsychedelicJourneyman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Blagojevich in a bold move appoints a senator for Illinois [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #9563679 - 01/07/09 10:48 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

It really is ceremonial.

I agree with Seuss on this one, it depends on what rule/guidelines there are for grounds of refusal and it may take a lawsuit to enforce.  The IL SOS definitely has reasonable moral or ethical grounds.  In the meantime, I've seen the Senate rule that states the SOS signature to be necessary, and am inclined to believe its interpretation since its pretty straightforward.

--------------------

Discuss Politics

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
    #9564356 - 01/07/09 12:55 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

> It really is ceremonial.

And it really is a rule of the US Senate...  You will not be recognized as a US Senator without proper credentials, and those credentials include the signature of the State Governor and the State Secretary; ceremonial or not.  Until the US Senate changes the rule, makes an exception to the rule, or until the US Supreme Court decides that the rule is unconstitutional, or until the Illinois Secretary of State signs the silly paper, Burris cannot be seated as a US Senator.

> "They could have seated him without my signature; my signature is not required,"

Wrong.  Please see http://rules.senate.gov/senaterules/rule02.php:
Quote:

2. The Secretary shall keep a record of the certificates of election and certificates of appointment of Senators by entering in a wellbound book kept for that purpose the date of the election or appointment, the name of the person elected or appointed, the date of the certificate, the name of the governor and the secretary of state signing and countersigning the same, and the State from which such Senator is elected or appointed.

In case you missed it, "the name of the governor and the secretary of state signing and countersigning"

> But White said today, "My signature is mostly ceremonial, rather than a point of law."

It may be "mostly ceremonial" in Illinois, but in order for a person to be seated as a US Senator, that person must have credentials from their state that are "ceremonially" signed by the governor and the secretary of state.

> Asked by Williams if he had been made "the fall guy," White said, "You're absolutely correct."

All he has to do is sign the silly thing, and he is no longer "the fall guy".  :rolleyes:  (It is, after all, only ceremonial... so what does he care?)

--------------------

InvisibleFerris
PsychedelicJourneyman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #9565134 - 01/07/09 03:11 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

or until the Illinois Secretary of State signs the silly paper

I just saw an article in the paper saying that the IL Supreme Court was going to rule on whether the SOS has to sign the document.  I think that the ruling is supposed top be tomorrow.

--------------------

Discuss Politics

OfflineCoaster
Baʿal
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep in the Valley
    #9577262 - 01/09/09 02:22 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------

InvisibleFerris
PsychedelicJourneyman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Blagojevich in a bold move appoints a senator for Illinois [Re: Coaster]
    #9577368 - 01/09/09 02:42 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

The senate will probably rule on this as soon as they can.

--------------------

Discuss Politics

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale