Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Coir, Hot Plate, Hydroponics Supplies, Peat, Perlite, Portable Greenhouse, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleAdult_Toke
Male
first grow - how do these plans sound?
    #9518542 - 12/30/08 03:33 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

So I should introduce myself. I've been lurking here for a couple months, soaking up info on techniques for growing shrooms and their life cycle. I have about a year and a half worth of experience with hydroponics, with a couple successful grows under my belt.  :ganja: Things are gonna be changing for me though. I'll be done with college in May and I'll also lose the place I have to myself where I can do stuff like I've been doing, and what I plan to do with mushies.

What I want to do between now and when I move out in May is grow a good amount so that I can have mushies around for at least a couple months after I graduate. I dont know when Ill have the opportunity to start growing anything again, but I know for sure that I want to pick it up again when I get the chance.

Anyway, what Im thinking is Ill have my setup in the same closet I had my small hydro grow. I figure I could fit two 30-gallon Rubbermaid tubs in there. At the bottom of these containers would be a good layer of perlite which would be kept hydrated in order to keep the humidity in the containers as high as possible. On top of the perlite I want to have aluminum cooking pans to hold the casings. I also have a humidifier if I need it. Also, I figured Id rig up an air pump to get fresh air into the tubs, with holes drilled into the bottom of each tub right above the perlite layer to let out the CO2. It seems like this would help with lowing the number of times I need to open and fan out the containers.

I have a pressure-cooker on the way from eBay, and tomorrow my order for Brazilians goes out to Ralph. Im pretty sure I want to use this method for inoculating rye in jars:

from syringe to print using rye

I also plan on using the instructions in that guide for casing using coir and vermiculite mix. I dont want to use horse manure or any other sort of stuff that might smell funky. Maybe when I have a basement someday or something. Or would pressure-cooking eliminate the possibility of odor from a more "natural" substrate? Something to consider, I guess.

Ill probably have some more specific questions about my setup when I actually start putting things together next week. Ill make sure to post some pics, too.

Thanks for any info. :mushroom2:

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePOWAtrippin
Decidedly Undecided.
Male

Loc: zone 9b
Re: first grow - how do these plans sound? [Re: Adult_Toke]
    #9518585 - 12/30/08 03:40 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Poop shouldn't smell like anything except dirt pretty much.  I mean you know what a hot mix of fert smells like, it doesn't smell like shit, it smells like hot soil. (Chemically hot not necessarily physical)

A shotgun FC is pretty much A okay by itself.  As is a monotub if constructed and implemented correctly.

I say do what you want and find what works best for you but i am sure about 95 people are about to say go with the shotgun.

Just search around in here and ask questions if you can't find answers yourself.  You will be fine, happy growing.

--------------------
Don't believe everything you think.  TRADE LIST

‹Sell Your Soul› You know this place is owned and operated by the Illuminati, right?
‹lsdwithme› i possibly just smoked a rat turd :facepalm:

InvisibleAdult_Toke
Male

Re: first grow - how do these plans sound? [Re: POWAtrippin]
    #9520418 - 12/30/08 09:24 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

About using a shotgun FC, I've been seeing pictures of people using Rubbermaid tubs and it looks they have a bunch of cotton stuffed through the sides of their chambers. What's the reason behind that? I'm guessing this is a way to slow down the air exchange and retain humidity?

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #9520472 - 12/30/08 09:34 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Thats for monotubs. Look em up.

Monotubs are pretty much set it and forget it fruiting chambers. They dont use perlite. Fully colinised substate is mixed with pasturised feild capacity bulk substrate, alloed to colinise and fruit as is. The substarte itself provides humidity. The polyfill holes allow some air exchange but also help keep rh high. Air exchange isnt as good as in a shotgun fruiting chamber but it does work. Some use a small fan nearby to help.

If your using bulk subs, then monotubs could be a good method for you and you wont need perlite or your humidify. Youd ont need a humidifier for terrairums anyway. Humidifiers are best kept for marthas and greenhouses.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflinePOWAtrippin
Decidedly Undecided.
Male

#9520491 - 12/30/08 09:36 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

If they have poly fill in their holes I doubt it is a shotgun FC.  A shot gun FC would be a rubbermaid tub with a grid of 1/4 inch holes roughly two inches from eachother on all six sides.

What you are describing is probably a monotub which is usually four holes on long sides two holes on short sides stuffed with varying ammounts of poly fill.  (Which would be that cotton like substance that is used in pillows and childrens stuffed toys)

In a monotub the goal is to not open the lid until after complete colonization on the spawn run.

Before spawning to bulk the grower stuffs an ample amount of polyfill into the holes prepared to allow some Co2 build up and prevent fresh air exchange.  Some people use micro pore tape with similar effects.  After 100% colonization is achieved the grower will remove (or insert a proper ammount if using tape for gas exchange) polyfill to introduce plenty of fresh air into the environment.  The polyfil will help the chamber retain humidity as well.

--------------------

‹Sell Your Soul› You know this place is owned and operated by the Illuminati, right?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
    #9520617 - 12/30/08 09:56 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

If you choose to use trays in a shotgun terrarium, be sure to elevate them off the perlite at least an inch or two so as not to impeded the flow of air or evaporation of moisture from the perlite.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflinePOWAtrippin
Decidedly Undecided.
Male

#9520619 - 12/30/08 09:56 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Jeez you beat me by about a minute!  Five mushies to you for saying what I wanted to before I could.

--------------------

InvisibleAdult_Toke
Male

Re: first grow - how do these plans sound? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9520874 - 12/30/08 10:56 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
If you choose to use trays in a shotgun terrarium, be sure to elevate them off the perlite at least an inch or two so as not to impeded the flow of air or evaporation of moisture from the perlite.
RR

Thanks for that link, now I definitely know what I want to do as far as ventilating my FC. Not having to rely on any air pump sounds great. Lots of interesting stuff there.

Edited by Adult_Toke (12/30/08 10:57 PM)

OfflineStimpy913
Happy Happy Joy Joy
 User Gallery
    #9521853 - 12/31/08 02:40 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

If you want to do a big grow to have shrooms last for a while, just do a monotub its probably easiest.

4 or 5 quarts of grain spawned to coir in a tub you're lookin at maybe 5 or 6 oz of dry shrooms from that first flush.  If you're willing to spend a few dollars, maybe 15 bux is all it takes, just order some pre-sterilized ready to inject rye bags you wont have to pressure cook anything at all.  Inject the bags, when they are about 1/4 the way colonized mix the grain around in the bag, let it do the whole bag, then mix it in with coir in the tub. Thats it.

--------------------
How to talk to cops

Offlinechobumms
Pokemon Master
Male User Gallery

Re: first grow - how do these plans sound? [Re: Stimpy913]
    #9521888 - 12/31/08 02:50 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Look up coir recipes. A good one can be found under the username large_dose. Remember. Squeeze almost as hard as you can every handful of coir before mxing in your spawn so that only one or two drops comes out after squeezing. I was making my coco coir WAY too wet. It didn't even look wet, but when I squeezed it it ran with water. I lost about 20 to 100 trays by experiment, changing recipes and everything I could think of, convinced it wasn't my water capacity in my bulk substrate. It was. A little dry is MUCH better than too wet. Mix in coffee grounds and medium grade (preferable) or large grade verm.

--------------------
[/url]
My "Faster Germination For Popcorn Substrate" TEK
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/8428361#8428361

OfflineStimpy913
Happy Happy Joy Joy
 User Gallery
Re: first grow - how do these plans sound? [Re: chobumms]
    #9521909 - 12/31/08 02:59 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

edit: wait i can't personally attest to squeezing out the coir that much, tho it might work. I keep it just under what i'd consider field capacity for peat casing. Like you can lightly tug your hand but nothing drips, but if you squeeze hard there's still a lil stream of water that runs out

hell yeah thats a good way to do coir.  I mix 2 parts coir - 1 part straw - 1 part verm - 1 part spent coffee grounds it hax.

When you mix the coir into w/e u dont have to get exact measurements but dont add too much verm ratio or else its just not enough nutrients.  Also if you want to mix perfect ratios then hydrate the coir first because mixing in dry coir, then pasteurizing it, throws the coir parts way up like 5 times higher - not that that is a bad thing.

--------------------
How to talk to cops

Edited by Stimpy913 (12/31/08 03:01 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Coir, Hot Plate, Hydroponics Supplies, Peat, Perlite, Portable Greenhouse, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation