Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblecaptotterboy
Stranger
Incubator malfunction
    #9496502 - 12/26/08 08:51 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Before injecting the bags we checked the incubator to make sure it worked.  It was fine and after injecting the bags we put them in at 81 degrees (with the thought that the temperature inside the bag would be 5 degrees higher at a perfect 86). 

Somewhere in between checking the incubator and putting the bags in, the incubator went from fine to not fine.  It malfunctioned and the temperature went up to around 110 for more than 24 hours.  Did this just fry the spores (B+)?

I have thrown out that incubator.

--------------------
If ignorance is bliss why aren't more people happy?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemadz
Dick Senormous
Male User Gallery

Loc: Michigan
Re: Incubator malfunction [Re: captotterboy]
    #9496537 - 12/26/08 09:07 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

86F is a little high. Its possible the spores could still be viable. At least I would guess they are but im a noob so I am likely wrong about that.

Offlinescottprotege
Stranger

#9496539 - 12/26/08 09:08 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

From what I have read by the old original mushroom guys....you know the ones that wrote books years ago...they claim 110f is the death temperature for mycelium so I imagine it's bad news for the spores too. No need to ditch the bags though, it's possible they still have some viable spores that will germinate and produce some white fluff for you

Scottprotege

Offlinemadz
Dick Senormous
Male User Gallery

Loc: Michigan
Re: Incubator malfunction [Re: madz]
    #9496543 - 12/26/08 09:11 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

spores tend to be more resilient then the actual mycelium. At least with yeast anyway (yeast do not have mycelium but they sporulate when conditions become unfavorable). Since they are both fungi I would guess that the spores are probably alright. especially since he just inoculated and they havnt had time to germinate. But im a noob, that is just my hypothesis.

Also wikipedia defines a spore as "a spore is a reproductive structure that is adapted for dispersal and surviving for extended periods of time in unfavorable conditions"

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

Loc: North pole
    #9496551 - 12/26/08 09:15 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

86 degrees is bullshit and old information. You want your colonizing substrate at no higher than 82. There is no difference in growth between 75 and 82 though, so if your room temperature is at least 70F you can scrap your incubator.

--------------------
"The third eye. You spend years doing everything you can to open it and then the damn thing opens and your friends laugh at you when you tell them you can see their souls behind their eyes burning like rainbows."

Links:
:regularshroom:Nibin's Guide for Noobs
:regularshroom:some easy teks on bulk & grain prep. (my journal)

OfflineABC
Stranger
 User Gallery

#9496552 - 12/26/08 09:16 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Incubating will be fine at 75 degrees, from what i've read

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

Loc: North pole
Re: Incubator malfunction [Re: ABC]
    #9496561 - 12/26/08 09:21 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

--------------------
"The third eye. You spend years doing everything you can to open it and then the damn thing opens and your friends laugh at you when you tell them you can see their souls behind their eyes burning like rainbows."

Links:
:regularshroom:Nibin's Guide for Noobs
:regularshroom:some easy teks on bulk & grain prep. (my journal)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Incubator malfunction [Re: dead]
    #9496766 - 12/26/08 10:47 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

after injecting the bags we put them in at 81 degrees (with the thought that the temperature inside the bag would be 5 degrees higher at a perfect 86).

That information was discredited fifteen years ago.

Colonize cubensis substrates at normal room temperature for best results. (+/- 75F)
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisiblecaptotterboy
Stranger
Re: Incubator malfunction [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9511397 - 12/29/08 08:33 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks.  I think there is no harm in letting them sit at this point and seeing what happens. 

Worse comes to worse we got an extra unused bag and have some spores left over.  If these are dead I will use that last bag and put it with the bulk substrate.  I wont get as much out of it, but I will get something. 

Speaking of which, if the bags are now at 75 degrees, how long should they sit with no growth inside before we are sure there is nothing happening?

Also, is there a way to re sterilize/pasteurize the used bags in order to use them again?

Thanks for the help everyone

--------------------

Invisiblecaptotterboy
Stranger
    #9517517 - 12/30/08 11:28 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

ttt

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder