Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMello KittyS
Beautiful Burnout
Female User Gallery

Loc: Sanriotown, Harmonyland
Question about Air/Heat duct in Grow Room
    #9375444 - 12/05/08 08:27 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

hello mushroomers,

I have a 10" by 5" spare room i am prepping for cultivation, a minimal project. 10 jars (PF Tek) this will be my first attempt. There is Heating/Air condition duct at one end of the room located on the floor, and a window at the other.

my first question is about the duct, it is a central unit that heats the entire house so there is no way to block, or keep it off at all times (that i know is safe), will this be a problem?

my next question is about the window. it is getting colder now so i will definatly cover it with plastic and it has a set of blinds which i will leave behind the plastic to keep the light of day minimal.

would it be too much light for the mushrooms to germinate and fruit next too? should i use a curtain as well to block out more light?

would it be better to grow the mushrooms near the duct located on the floor? or at the other end of the room near the window?

the room has finished hard wood floors. it will be insulated and very sterile with plastic on the walls. there is nothing in the room except a 3" by 5" non-porous table which i will use to hold the terrarium.

any advice would be greatly appreciated,
~thanks

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleJean-Luc Picard
I only wish i was this good!
 User Gallery

Loc: New Mexico, USA Flag
Re: Question about Air/Heat duct in Grow Room [Re: Mello Kitty]
    #9375752 - 12/05/08 09:12 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

ok first, if there are any other vents in ur house, and there is only one Air Handling Unit (AHU aka fan portion of the HVAC system) then you can block it no problem, it will increase the flow of outgoing air in the other vents but there is no real danger as long as the air has somewhere to go.

diffuse daylight is preferable most of the time. Since light is a secondary pinning trigger it is not necessary to keep it pitch black during germination and colonization. If you are using the PF tek sometimes you can tape up one or two holes out of the 4 in order to keep the primary pinning trigger, air exchange, low enough so that pinning doesnt occur. As of yet i have only had to do this with texas goliad, most other strains dont have this problem. With grain jars I've heard from a few people that some light is desirable.

Then main problem that i would have with keeping near the window is that if you block the vent in the room then you are going to get a cold spot near the window due to faster rates of heat transfer through the window. If you can maintain the temp around 70-75 then go for it.

If you cant block the vent then i would suggest finding the return vents and changing out the air filters with high efficiency allergen reducing filters to try and lower the spore count in ur grow room to reduce the chance of contamination. If may also be helpful to run a small air cleaning unit, HEPA or Electrostatic or UVC or something to trap and kill contaminate spores. This is only if you want ur room really clean. I only use the allergen reducing air filters in my HVAC system and have decent results that way. I would like to have all of what i have listed available but if you have a glovebox and practice sterile techniques then you dont really need anything except somewhere with the right temps and a Fruiting Chamber. Just thought I would provide you with multiple options just incase.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the shroomery :grin::thumbup:

--------------------
The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you - NDT

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Question about Air/Heat duct in Grow Room [Re: Jean-Luc Picard]
    #9375996 - 12/05/08 09:46 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

You should be able to set an old phone book on top of the vent to block it.  Don't block light from the window.  It's perfect if it's nice and bright. 
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineShadowSpore
abort
Male

Loc: Amsterdam
Re: Question about Air/Heat duct in Grow Room [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9376416 - 12/05/08 11:03 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

yea you gotta remember lots of people block their vents with stupid shit just not thinking about it, so its not gonna do any damage

you are lucky to have that vent because you can control the temps in your room no problem, for some people it can be a bitch to get right, so i wouldnt block it off unless you have another way to maintian temps

as long as your temps are ok, your golden:thumbup:

if you can put it in front of the window thats great, you get the ultimate light cycle, with no timers and bs

i always put my colonizing subs or cakes in front of an open window for an hour when i birth them, its better if its real cold out, it tells the myc to stop colonizing and fruit when it gets the immediate temp drop followed by your normal 85-75

if your worried about contams get a hepa filter and stick it in your room colse to your fc, you say you are doing pf tek, and cakes are tough, they dont contam easy after they are fully colonized just be worried about your jars, when it comes to contams

and if your gonna plastic up a small room and everything, you are gonna want more than 10 cakes for your effort

it doesnt take a nice clean sterile room to grow 10 cakes, you should look into building a martha or something cool

if you only want to do 10 cakes theres no need for all that work... look up a shotgun fc and stick it in your closet with a fan or an air filter and the right temps

its that easy:thumbup:

--------------------
"Lesson over, class may now eat their science projects" - Shdwstr
:mushroom2:My Grow Threads:mushroom2:
SG30
Thai Mystery
Penis Envy
Treasure Coast
B+
Australian

OfflineMello KittyS
Beautiful Burnout
Female User Gallery

Loc: Sanriotown, Harmonyland
Re: Question about Air/Heat duct in Grow Room [Re: ShadowSpore]
    #9377471 - 12/06/08 06:13 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

thank you all very much, you have all been a great help!! i guess i will not block up the vent, maybe price some HEPA air filters, and possibly attempt more cakes. was going to start with 10 cakes inoculated with Amazonian as my first project, perhaps i will add Penis Envy :grin:

--------------------

InvisiblesporeRider
Proud sporeRider :)
 User Gallery

Loc: usa Flag
Re: Question about Air/Heat duct in Grow Room [Re: Mello Kitty]
    #9514529 - 12/29/08 08:34 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

yo!!!- id like to just recomend trying the penis envy strains - - they won't yield much most of the time, -  but u will get some giant mutants dripping with potency. - i got some "un-cut" spore syringes from workman for sending him my conocybe smithii samples and believe me --  one gram - 1.5gr is plenty to rock my world. id norm eat a whole 3.5gr of commercial cubies - the penis envy's Fucking Rock!!! ENJOY and please share ur pics when u get fruits. PEACE from cold ass wisconsin

--------------------
http://

InvisiblesporeRider
 User Gallery

Re: Question about Air/Heat duct in Grow Room [Re: sporeRider]
    #9514618 - 12/29/08 08:46 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

heres some pics to motivate all- - - indoor cultivation of cubensis is sooo darn easy - - its hit or miss with contam- -- but ellen, u are right on to start as much as possible - - better ur oddshttp://http://      that second pic shows the wierd lil balls of blue-ing mycelium that form on the surface - - lil blue nugs of magic. Enjoy

--------------------

InvisiblesporeRider
 User Gallery

Re: Question about Air/Heat duct in Grow Room [Re: sporeRider]
    #9514641 - 12/29/08 08:49 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

one single syringe of p.e.'s lasted me 3 diff multi - tub events over the past 2.5 years

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures