Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineskatealex2
////////////////
 User Gallery

I feel that tv and video games are kind of a waste of time but.........
    #9511547 - 12/29/08 09:51 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I don't really have too many important things going on in my life so what the fuck else should I do?

When I tripped acid last summer tv seemed so stupid and I feel that I was enlightened but I don't know what to do with my enlightenment.

I don't watch actual tv with commercials though, just solid shows like Lost, Battlestar, Dexter, etc.:omgawesome:

Feel free to add to my thoughts............

~~I also think that getting high is a waste of time to an extent but what the fuck is better than getting blazed off dankness? 

(I only blaze at night but it is easily my most enjoyable part of any day most of the time)

Maybe I am feeling insecure about my recreations, gotta hear some opinions on this.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePlok
Life is fractal
Male

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: I feel that tv and video games are kind of a waste of time but......... [Re: skatealex2]
    #9511573 - 12/29/08 10:04 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Listen to Kid A.

--------------------
Just say NO to the War on Drugs.

Invisibleblewmeanie
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: I feel that tv and video games are kind of a waste of time but......... [Re: skatealex2]
    #9511576 - 12/29/08 10:05 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

skatealex2 said:
I don't really have too many important things going on in my life so what the fuck else should I do?

Create something you think is beautiful.

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: I feel that tv and video games are kind of a waste of time but......... [Re: blewmeanie]
    #9511582 - 12/29/08 10:07 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Maka the music.

--------------------

Offlineskatealex2
////////////////
 User Gallery

Re: I feel that tv and video games are kind of a waste of time but......... [Re: Shroomism]
    #9511595 - 12/29/08 10:13 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

great answers.

I love Kid A, that album changed my life when I listened to it a few years ago on hash,  also saw radiohead this summer, they were amazing.

Making music is actually one of my biggest goals in life but right now I don't have any recording equipment and my friend who I like to jam with is away this year, but maybe I should try writing some solo work.  I can't sing though so that doesn't help.

I am interested in making IDM/Electronic/Ambient type of music but I have a windows laptop and it is really glitchy when it comes to this stuff and I have no programs eather.

I think I may start studying music theory because I play by intuition, but don't know many chord names or what I am actually playing most of the time. (I play guitar and bass)

...................................If I could sing it would open up the doors to making music, writing some jams may not be a bad idea though. :sunny:  Music is easily in my top 5 favorite things in life.  (Highly recommend that everyone checks out the new animal collective album, it is my favorite album of the decade right now-http://rs482.rapidshare.com/files/176829970/Whether_the_weather_is_cold.rar)

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9511615 - 12/29/08 10:22 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

You don't need to know any music theory to play amazing music, although it can definitely help.. but it does not guarantee anything.

The best music comes when you play from your heart and soul and the depths of creativity and passion. The knowledge of what notes to play where, comes from an understanding of the theory behind it.. and practice and experience.

You don't need recording equipment to make music, or anyone else.. although jamming with other people is always amazing. So I say, learn all the music theory you want.. if you want a solid foundation to base it on.. but never lose sight of your creativity and don't become a theory robot.

Most of all, always play for your own enjoyment, and if other people enjoy it too.. well hey, great.

:sun:

--------------------

Offlineskatealex2
////////////////
 User Gallery

Re: I feel that tv and video games are kind of a waste of time but......... [Re: Shroomism]
    #9511656 - 12/29/08 10:37 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

good advice shroom.  I always play from my soul. When I play guitar my self when I am high, I always get this ambient thing going and it feels like I am floating when I close my eyes. Playing music is amazing and I agree about never becoming a theory robot.  I can't stand mainstream never ending guitar solo BS.

maybe it is better I don't learn music theory and play the way I do now.

I really need a recorded though cause I feel like my jams go to waste when I don't record them.  Can you recommend a cheap recorder? Should I save up for a four track?

Offlinecube talk
Stranger

#9511668 - 12/29/08 10:42 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I've played the banjo since the age of 8 and the guitar even before that.. I don't really care a whole lot for music tbh. I mean I do like listening to it while i'm DOING OTHER ACTIVITIES like shooting pool or driving.. but never ever have I gotten the fascination from it like other people do.

I love a rush, which is why sports is what I focus on.

--------------------

InvisibleMisterMuscaria
Male User Gallery

#9511676 - 12/29/08 10:44 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

IMO you are thinking about it too much.

Offlinehpi
Tsar Bomba
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Montreal, Canada Flag
    #9511681 - 12/29/08 10:45 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Your Crazy!!!

I love video games. Ive been playing since I could remember. There a great way to pass time and a great way to compete against others. They also sharpen your reflexes and reaction times. They keep me happy.

I like watching tv, they do so many good shows and documentaries. These days with the HD DVR/PVR Ive been watching much more tv then I ever used to. No more recording 1 show at a time on a vhs casette. HD tv has got me watching more tv in general. I don;t feel it's a waste of time unless that's ALL you do.

--------------------
Tohu Tehom Theli Than Leviathan Tanin'iver Taninsam!
Tohu Tehom Theli Than Leviathan Tanin'iver Taninsam!

There exists one lie that is the absolute worst. A lie that has successfully infiltrated many of the Western governments. This lie is Christianity, and it must be fought in every way, shape and form. Burn the churches and kill the priests. The abomination that is Christianity must be wiped from this Earth.

4-Methyl-Aminorex

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9511692 - 12/29/08 10:48 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Well I'm not saying don't learn any theory at all.. it's definitely good to know chords and scales and forms and patterns and whatnot. Your creativity is only limited by your knowledge of the instrument and what sounds compliment each other. If you can find a good balance between theory and creativity, that is the best IMO. There are some amazing musicians who do that, John Petrucci and Steve Vai come to mind. Then there are others who know only theory and just play things without any creativity whatsoever, like some kind of robot. 

But play how you like. There are plenty of amazing musicians who don't even know the first thing about theory. They just know from practice and experience what sounds right. They may not know the names of the chords or they may not know they are playing a Phrygian Minor scale, but they play it.

As for a recorder, you can get a cheap digital 4-track for about $200.. Tascam or Korg or something.

Video games are awesome though.

--------------------

OfflineBoneMan
Shrimpin ain't easy
Male

Loc: new new england
    #9511701 - 12/29/08 10:50 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

An understanding of music theory will help you play from the soul.  When you have the music in your head, or you're in the middle of a jam and you get an idea, music theory will let you know how to do it, so there's no guess work. I can tell instantly when I hear a guitar player who doesn't know any theory, searching for the notes he wants to hit. It makes it sound pretty amateurish.  Music theory gives you the tools and to play from the heart.  But the most important thing for a guitarist is to have a mental map of the fretboard. To be able to "see" the "shapes" of chords, scales and arpeggios. A lot of my playing is very much based on following the shapes of my mental map of the fretboard in order to play the melodies in my head.  That makes it so I know what each note is going to sound like before I play it.  I highly recommend learning your chords, and some scales.  Its very hard to jam with other musicians when they tell you what key or mode they're playing in and you don't know what they're talking about.

Offlineskatealex2
////////////////
 User Gallery

Re: I feel that tv and video games are kind of a waste of time but......... [Re: BoneMan]
    #9511705 - 12/29/08 10:53 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Boneman can you recommend any guitar theory that I should learn so I can know the notes in my head?  I agree with what you are saying, my biggest problem is that sometimes I have to find the sound I am looking for, which I guess is a good reason to know theory

InvisibleMisterMuscaria
Male User Gallery

#9511706 - 12/29/08 10:53 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
Well I'm not saying don't learn any theory at all.. it's definitely good to know chords and scales and forms and patterns and whatnot. Your creativity is only limited by your knowledge of the instrument and what sounds compliment each other. If you can find a good balance between theory and creativity, that is the best IMO. There are some amazing musicians who do that, John Petrucci and Steve Vai come to mind. Then there are others who know only theory and just play things without any creativity whatsoever, like some kind of robot. 

But play how you like. There are plenty of amazing musicians who don't even know the first thing about theory. They just know from practice and experience what sounds right. They may not know the names of the chords or they may not know they are playing a Phrygian Minor scale, but they play it.

As for a recorder, you can get a cheap digital 4-track for about $200.. Tascam or Korg or something.

Video games are awesome though.

tric
My Tascam costed me 80 bucks. Im not a theory musician, I play strictly from the soul.

Invisiblevinsue
Grand Old Fart
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Garden State(NJ) Flag
    #9511778 - 12/29/08 11:14 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I waste some time watching TV, but i make up for that because I don't do video games... at all... never have.:shrug: I do waste some time on line...(not here, though, other sites) . . . :smirk:  and  :peace:

--------------------

"All mushrooms are edible; but some only once." Croatian proverb. BTW ...
  Have You Rated Ythans Mom Yet ?? ... :taser:  ... HERE'S HOW ... (be nice) .  :mod: ... :peace:

OfflineBoneMan
Shrimpin ain't easy
Male

Loc: new new england
    #9511840 - 12/29/08 11:29 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

skatealex2 said:
Boneman can you recommend any guitar theory that I should learn so I can know the notes in my head?  I agree with what you are saying, my biggest problem is that sometimes I have to find the sound I am looking for, which I guess is a good reason to know theory

Get yourself a good chord chart or better yet a book of guitar chords, study up on that and practice the chords till you know at least the names of all the basic major and minor chords.  Then you should learn major/minor pentatonic scales, these are easy to play in different keys because you just have to shift it to start from a different fret. Pentatonic scales have five notes, and are very important in almost every style of music.  Then move on to full major and minor scales, and arpeggios, and then modes.  All of this is going to take a long time to learn and memorize, so take your time. Start slow and really learn this stuff, skimming through it will really hurt you later on. I really recommend finding a guitar teacher to show you how to do it all.  You can find it in books and online, but its hard to translate whats on paper to an actual guitar.  You will only need a few lessons to see how to do all that stuff, then you can practice on your own once you know how its done.  I learned all my scales, modes and arpeggios by taking like five lessons, then I just practiced on my own to get good at it. 
So heres a list of what I recommend you learn:
Chords (major/minor/7th/major7th/minor7th)
Pentatonic scales (major and minor)
Full 8 note scales (major and minor)
Arpeggios (for major and minor chords)
Modes

It sounds confusing and complicated at first, but once a teacher explains it all it will make sense.  And in the end, all of those things sort of blend together into a mental map of the guitar's fretboard.  I don't think of all those things separately when I play, its all just a part of my overall understanding of the guitar.

For recording I use a Tascam US-122, its a USB interface that I can plug in 1/4 inch cables, and XLR mic cables. It runs the signal from there into my computer via USB.  I use adobe audition as my recording program.  Its pretty hard to edit your recordings on a stand-alone recording unit, as opposed to recording on a computer.  I actually have a 5 year old, pretty  slow computer with a very small amount of memory (compared with new recent computers). It freezes up during recording sometimes, but it actually works pretty well for the capacity of the computer.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9511954 - 12/29/08 11:56 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

If you are looking for a good resource from beginner to expert music theory, I HIGHLY recommend the Fretboard Logic series. The guy just explains it all in a way that is so easy to understand, with words AND pictures and diagrams if you are a more visual learner like myself. I studied some theory in school and I read tons of books, but I think I probably retained more knowledge from this guys books than any other resource.. definitely worth checking it.

http://www.amazon.com/Fretboard-Logic-SE-Reasoning-Arpeggios/dp/0962477060

An encyclopedia of chords is all well and good, but that doesn't teach you how to manipulate said chords and in what context to use them and what patterns they fit well in. That is why I love this guys books, they are just so comprehensive. Most people make music theory sounds like nuclear physics... it's not. When you understand the basic principles behind the chords and scales you can further expand on those.. if you're anything like me and you need to know WHY this scale is this way.. not just what its name is and how to play it.

Peace

--------------------

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery
Loc: Ohio Flag
    #9511995 - 12/29/08 12:06 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
The best music comes when you play from your heart and soul and the depths of creativity and passion.

The best music comes from people who play with passion that also know what the fuck their doing.
I'm passionate about basketball, but I can't shoot a jumpshot to save my life, so I'm pretty fucking bad. Same goes for music.

Not to say people with average musical knowledge can't make good music, but the best know what they're playing and why.

OP: What makes Lost, Dexter, or whatever better than other shit on TV? It's all entertainment, you just happen to like them better. Personally I think all those shows are dumb because I don't have the desire to follow television shows, I'm a sports guy and I enjoy the occasional episode of House and Good Eats.

Make music, skate (I'm assuming you like to skate), read (I don't do this enough/at all), clean, cook, work out, learn some useful trade. Those are all things I think I should be doing instead of overindulging in video games (I don't think I watch too much TV except when I'm on break.)

--------------------
!

Offlineandrewss
precariously aggrandized

Loc: ohio
Re: I feel that tv and video games are kind of a waste of time but......... [Re: jewunit]
    #9512012 - 12/29/08 12:10 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

become an avid masturbater?

i dunno, I know what you are saying. In the good months of summer and spring planning road trips and festivals are always a good idea. Backpacking/camping trips are sweet too. Learning to play an instrument is something I need to do though. Reading good books usually does the mind good too.

But yea, TV and videogames are shitty if done in excess which they make it easy to do so :frown:

--------------------
Jesus loves you.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: I feel that tv and video games are kind of a waste of time but......... [Re: jewunit]
    #9512020 - 12/29/08 12:13 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Right, I'm not saying you just play with passion.. I'm just saying don't HAVE to know music theory to play well. But you DO need to have a firm understanding of the instrument which comes with practice. There have been many excellent musicians who don't know anything about theory, just what they learned themselves from years of practice and experience. That being said, theory can definitely give you the tools to know what to apply, how and when.. but it is not the be-all and end-all of playing music.

You can be an expert at guitar theory but if you don't know how to move your fingers properly and have the muscle memory to execute it, then all that knowledge is for naught. Thus practice and experience is > all else.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals