Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblecreekfreek
Certified phunologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right about here
Grocery store agar tek question
    #9508661 - 12/28/08 06:22 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I just got all the ingredients for this tek but I couldnt find the agar agar that is pictured in the tek, Long clear pieces of agar. All I could find was agar agar in a powdered form.
So my question is, can I use the powdered form in place of the crystaly kind and do I have to adjust the amount of agar agar or use the same?

Or can someone give me another recipe using agar agar powder, mashed potato flakes and honey?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineanakin3197
JEDI MASTER
 User Gallery

Re: Grocery store agar tek question [Re: creekfreek]
    #9508717 - 12/28/08 06:35 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

mashed potato flakes, um didnt know that wouldnt work. seems like you would be able to see the white mycelliuem, through the white potato. the bars of agar, should be in the asian food aisle, in a big store. im sure the power is the same. you could try, trial and error on how to mix it up

Edited by anakin3197 (12/28/08 06:48 PM)

InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

Re: Grocery store agar tek question [Re: anakin3197]
    #9508779 - 12/28/08 06:46 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I've seen recipes that use the potato flakes.  And I also believe that powdered agar would be OK too, if it was the right kind.  They sell petri dish kits that come w/ powdered agar.

InvisiblePeterthinks
(Caulking) gun for hire

Re: Grocery store agar tek question [Re: J3illy]
    #9508860 - 12/28/08 07:03 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

same stuff, just go by weight.

Or do this, uses powder agar.

(Cooking measures for PDA agar)
I have access to a scale but got sick of borrowing it to measure this.
1 Liter water
300 G potatoes
17-20 G Agar
2 G Brewers Yeast
10 G Dextrose
Here are cooking measures that make the same measurements.
Put 3 cups of water in a 4 cup measuring cup.
Cut up one large red potato(unpeeled)and push the chunks into the water till it reads 4 cups.
pour it in a pot.
Add 1 more cup of water so your 1 cup of potatoes are being boiled in 4 Cups of water.
Boil for an hour and drain.
Keep the water,eat the potatoes.
Add water to bring up the level to 4 and 3/4 Cups.
The following are LEVEL measures...
Drag the back of a knife over a heaped measuring spoon to make it flat.
2 Tablespoons + 1 Teaspoon of Agar
3/4 Teaspoon (1/2+1/4)Brewers Yeast
1 Tablespoon +1 Teaspoon of Dextrose
mix the dry.
Heat the potato water in the microwave or on the stove till hot again.
Mix the dry ingredients together then add the dry to the water while stirring.
Pour it sterilize it and use it.

:jester:

--------------------
Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the rest of the night.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
NEWB NEWBIE NEWCOMER IGNORANT? QUESTIONS?
Click HERE HERE HERE HERE For detailed instructions with pictures on how to grow mushrooms. There is a lot of info on the Shroomery and this is what you need to know.

OfflineKukukatcho
Male User Gallery

Re: Grocery store agar tek question [Re: Peterthinks]
    #9511182 - 12/29/08 06:32 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I personally am not a big fan of the grocery store agar tek.
What works best for me, is the agar substitute tek by doc34.

Take 2.5 grams of brown rice flour(make it yourself with a coffee grinder) put it in a jar. Mix in 8cc of water. Next put on the jar lid,(with a self healing injector site)followed by a square piece of tyvek, and screw on the band. PC for about 20 min, allow to cool. Inoculate with multi spore(you will only need one drop) or with an LC. I use these to test my LC's on so I dont 'noc up 30 jars with contamination.

You'll need This
and this

--------------------
While there are some aspects written in stone, much of mushroom growing is very opinionated.

Take your time, do your research, and be patient.

Invisiblecreekfreek
Certified phunologist
Male User Gallery

Re: Grocery store agar tek question [Re: Kukukatcho]
    #9512033 - 12/29/08 12:18 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I just made up 4 dishes using the grocery store tek with the powdered agar agar and I have them in the fridge cooling right now.
I cant wait to see how they come out.
I have some a strain LC that I will be trying on these. I am just trying this out for now and if all goes well I will be starting some PE on the dishes.

Offlinetr8orjohn
Waiting for an airplane...
Male

Loc: Down in...Mexico
    #9512087 - 12/29/08 12:30 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Not for nothing, but pretty sure the sole purpose of the agar is to keep things as a solidphase...so if it gels, doesn't really matter.

On a related note/question (and I suppose a minor thread-jack...), has anyone else tried gelatin and/or any other "gelling" material? Seems agar is hard to find, and as it adds little to no nutritive value...

-jon

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Microbiologist turned mycologist, but still amateur enough to enjoy the occasional surprise...

My Trade List

Terry M said:
Looking for rules that other people use successfully. Sterile procedure is just a set of rules that work.

Invisiblecreekfreek
Certified phunologist
Male User Gallery

Re: Grocery store agar tek question [Re: tr8orjohn]
    #9512158 - 12/29/08 12:45 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I dont know about other gelling agents but I found my agar agar at a health food store in the bulk herbs section. It cost $2.29 per ounce.

Invisiblecreekfreek
Certified phunologist
Male User Gallery

Re: Grocery store agar tek question [Re: Kukukatcho]
    #9512378 - 12/29/08 01:41 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Peterthinks, What do I look for when searching for dextrose? Would I find it in a grocery store or to I have to go to a more specialized store?
I am pretty sure that I can get the brewers yeast at the local brewers supply store.
Thanks for your info, I will be trying your recipe as soon as I can get the other ingredients.
It looks like the dishes I did today are gelling up very nicely so I will be using them soon.
Peace.

InvisiblePeterthinks
(Caulking) gun for hire

#9513345 - 12/29/08 04:59 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Your local brewer's supply store will have dextrose too.
Used to make beer.
You can use grocery store bread yeast instead.comes in little paper packets.

The yeast is just food, doesn't matter what kind really, you kill them when you PC them and their little corpses feed our mycelium.

Your plates should jell up as soon as they cool, it isn't a function of time, it's in relation to temperature.

You may have condensation in your plates that makes you think your stuff hasn't set up yet.
Stack your plates and let them cool gradually, Put a coffee cup of hot hot water on top of the stack and leave it till dead cool.

Or just do what I do and ignore the condensation, doesn't hurt anything as long as you don't shake the plates.

PM me if you're having trouble finding anything, I can always send you some.

Another tip, if you pour a bunch of stuff and have agar left over put it in a mason jar with a new snap on metal lid and ring.PC it with the lid on but the ring on loose.
After it cools you will find your agar sealed under vacuum in the jar, snug down the ring and use any time in the next couple years.

Just pop off the top heat it in the microwave to make it liquid again and carry on.

:jester:

--------------------
Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the rest of the night.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
NEWB NEWBIE NEWCOMER IGNORANT? QUESTIONS?
Click HERE HERE HERE HERE For detailed instructions with pictures on how to grow mushrooms. There is a lot of info on the Shroomery and this is what you need to know.

Invisiblecreekfreek
Certified phunologist
Male User Gallery

Re: Grocery store agar tek question [Re: Peterthinks]
    #9513418 - 12/29/08 05:11 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Awesome, we have a brewers supply store right down the road.
I will probably pick that stuff up in the next week.

Offlinejjb007

Loc: Near Philly
Re: Grocery store agar tek question [Re: tr8orjohn]
    #9552328 - 01/05/09 05:02 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

tr8orjohn said:
Not for nothing, but pretty sure the sole purpose of the agar is to keep things as a solidphase...so if it gels, doesn't really matter.

On a related note/question (and I suppose a minor thread-jack...), has anyone else tried gelatin and/or any other "gelling" material? Seems agar is hard to find, and as it adds little to no nutritive value...

-jon

I am no expert on agar, I have actually only poured agar plates once so far, but I do remember reading about gelatin as a replacement for agar.  Gelatin will not work because it becomes broken down by the mycellium and it will turn into a gooey mess.  It turns out that agar is used because it cannot be broken down.  As far as other replacements go, there is a TEK that I believe was mentioned here, where you use brown rice powder.  The only problem with brown rice powder is that the mycellium will grow in 3 dimensions which makes it tough to find and isolate contamination.  When growing on agar, the mycellium grows in 2 dimensions which makes it easy to spot contamination quickly and isolate the culture from the contams.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags