Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMisfiringSynapse
Stranger
Straw + mycelium for compost, gardening
    #9502037 - 12/27/08 12:41 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Not your typical post I suppose. Im starting a back yard garden and Im going to try using straw/wood chips/manure to build the base of my soil.

Im planning on inoculating the straw with oyster mushroom WBS spawn (open to recommendations if theres a better species to use). I figure itll probably take me ~3-6mo to produce a decent soil for planting. In addition to the symbiosis provided by plants/mycelium Ill get some tasty mushrooms out of it.

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations for greater success? Thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Straw + mycelium for compost, gardening [Re: MisfiringSynapse]
    #9503359 - 12/27/08 04:54 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Stamets seems to like garden stropharia for that purpose, but frankly I've found just about every mushroom mycelium I've ever used with plants is beneficial. I suspect that all mushroom mycelium is mycorhizzal to a certain degree.  Oyster, cubensis, and agaricus mycelium is known to trap and kill harmful nematodes, and who knows how many others.  I put all my spent substrates into the garden and flower beds, and all benefit from it.  In fact, the best parts of the garden are the parts where the buried substrate blocks were chopped into the top soil.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate