Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Muscaria   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
Re: EVOLUTION IN ACTION: FROM MUSHROOMS TO TRUFFLES? [Re: cactu]
    #9562490 - 01/07/09 03:52 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I finally got around to posting in this again.  I hadn't forgotten I assure you.  I find Kuo's piece embarrassing in that he finds time to discuss God when we are supposed to be doing science.  Particularly revealing is this quote by Hibbett and Donoghue:

Quote:

The central goal of taxonomic mycology is to create classifications that communicate understanding of fungal phylogeny....

The idea that taxonomic mycology should key off of fungal phylogeny is philosophically flawed.  Instead of teaching what we know, and thereby learning what we could learn, some historians--I won't call them mycologists--are more interested in ideas about God and history than mushrooms.  Like I said, they should have switched majors.

I enjoy the opportunity to discuss this though.  Everyone should be aware of it if they are interested in mushrooms.  We're headed down a blind alley with historians for our guides.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecactu
culture and magic
Male

Loc: mexicoelcentrodelconocimi...
Trusted Identifier
Re: EVOLUTION IN ACTION: FROM MUSHROOMS TO TRUFFLES? [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #9597705 - 01/12/09 08:34 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

hello all  i like  to poiint his article about  how virus influenciate the evolution of  individuals.
is may indea something like this happend in the  secotoid mushrooms
EVOLUTION:
Viruses Scout Evolution's Path
Virginia Morell

ARNHEM, THE NETHERLANDS--At a meeting of the European Society for Evolutionary Biology here in August, researchers described studies in viruses that point to a possible resolution of a dispute about the trajectory of evolution. One theory argues that evolution is like a staircase on which organisms evolve through a series of small genetic steps, while another postulates that genetic and environmental changes can derail the evolutionary process, picturing evolution as taking place on a landscape of numerous peaks and valleys where harmful mutations can displace an organism from a peak into a valley. The virus cultures described at the meeting suggested that both metaphors may be valid.

iam been thinking about his  event recently  how all this affect mushrooms events.  inski you may like this
Geological Factors and Evolution of Southwestern Gondwana Triassic Plants
Purchase the full-text article

References and further reading may be available for this article. To view references and further reading you must purchase this article.

L.A. Spallettia, c, E-mail The Corresponding Author, A.E. Artabeb, c, E-mail The Corresponding Author and E.M. Morelb, d, E-mail The Corresponding Author

aCentro de Investigaciones Geológicas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata - CONICET. Calle 1 nro. 644, 1900 La Plata, República Argentina

bDepartamento de Palaeobotánica, Facultad de Ciencias Naturales y Museo, Universidad Nacional de La Plata, Paseo del Bosque s/n, 1900 La Plata, República Argentina

cCONICET, República Argentina

dComisión de Investigaciones Científicas de la Provincia de Buenos Aires, República Argentina

Received 16 May 2002;
accepted 15 October 2002.
Available online 15 November 2005.

Abstract

A synergistic model based on reciprocal influences between biotic and abiotic factors is developed for the Triassic of southwestern Gondwana. Changes in physical environment exerted a strong influence on the characteristics and evolution of plant assemblages. The Permian-Triassic extinction, and the change from palaeophytic to mesophytic floras, is one of the most striking examples of direct influence of physical environment upon plant communities. Pangea coalescence, the distribution of land masses and seas, the spreading of continental climates (megamonsoonal conditions) and the waning polar glaciation determined the expansion of xeromorphic morphotypes that became dominant during the whole Mesozoic. In southwestern Gondwana, the introduction or invasion of immigrant lineages suggests a strong asymmetrical interchange from the Euroamerican realm to the Gondwana realm. In addition, generalised extensional volcanism, development of intracratonic rifts and the palaeolatitudinal location of climatic zones during the early-Middle Triassic favoured extinction of the Glossopteris flora and explosive diversification of endemic groups.

From the chronological viewpoint, the Barrealian, Cortaderitian and Florian stages are recognised in the Triassic of southwestern Gondwana. These stages are respectively characterised by: (a) appearance of mesophytic elements, and coexistence of Palaeozoic and Mesozoic groups, (b) maximum diversification of the Dicroidium flora, and (c) Dicroidium flora decline and replacement by morphotypes with strong Jurassic affinity. These palaeofloristic changes seem to be strongly influenced by tectonic evolution of sedimentary basins, temporal and regional distribution of sedimentary environments, and intra-Triassic palaeoclimatic change.

Key words: Triassic; Gondwana; environments; palaeobotany; synergism

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B7XNB-4HK0S5B-7&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=ff86c52a2fb87ecfb13782b0aef075bb
Venezuelan paleoflora of the Pennsylvanian-Early Permian: Paleobiogeographical relationships to central and western equatorial Pangea
Purchase the full-text article

References and further reading may be available for this article. To view references and further reading you must purchase this article.

Fresia Ricardi-Brancoa, E-mail The Corresponding Author

aDepartamento de Geologia e Recursos Naturais, Instituto de Geociências, Universidade Estadual de Campinas-UNICAMP, Campinas, Brasil. Cx. Postal: 6152. CEP. 13083-970. Brazil

Received 8 May 2007;
revised 7 December 2007;
accepted 25 February 2008.
Available online 7 March 2008.

Abstract

The flora of northwestern Venezuela shows close links with the Pennsylvanian flora of the Northern Hemisphere and Northern Africa; in the Early Permian, it also closely matches the flora reported in the Southwestern and Central United States. The Permian fossils from Venezuela have various species and genera in common with that of this part of the USA, not only flora, but also warm-water marine fauna. The floristic data studied here provide evidence of a close relationship of the plants of the central portion of Pangea with those of Gondwanaland. Based on these similarities in the flora, it is suggested that during the Pennsylvanian-Early Permian, the northeastern part of Gondwanaland, which was one of the regions most affected by the formation of Pangea, had a progressively drier climate, with the vegetation characteristic of such conditions. Moreover, the relationship between the vegetation of this equatorial area and that of the Cathaysian Province during the Early Permian is discussed. Both showed the presence of gigantopterid genera, although there were climatic differences; furthermore, the differences in the species of the group suggest that the two regions may have had quite different vegetation, rather than the shared one traditionally proposed.

Keywords: Palmarito formation; Carache formation; Delnortea; Permian Paleobotany
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B7XNB-4S0PKVY-2&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=33f29ba34cc6e04cde02a57d5ba97af6

Mass extinctions have played many evolutionary roles, involving differential survivorship or selectivity of taxa and traits, the disruption or preservation of evolutionary trends and ecosystem organization, and the promotion of taxonomic and morphological diversifications-often along unexpected trajectories-after the destruction or marginalization of once-dominant clades. The fossil record suggests that survivorship during mass extinctions is not strictly random, but it often fails to coincide with factors promoting survival during times of low extinction intensity. Although of very serious concern, present-day extinctions have not yet achieved the intensities seen in the Big Five mass extinctions of the geologic past, which each removed greater than or equal to 50% of the subset of relatively abundant marine invertebrate genera. The best comparisons for predictive purposes therefore will involve factors such as differential extinction intensities among regions, clades, and functional groups, rules governing postextinction biotic interchanges and evolutionary dynamics, and analyses of the factors that cause taxa and evolutionary trends to continue unabated, to suffer setbacks but resume along the same trajectory, to survive only to fall into a marginal role or disappear ("dead clade walking"), or to undergo a burst of diversification. These issues need to be addressed in a spatially explicit framework, because the fossil record suggests regional differences in postextinction diversification dynamics and biotic interchanges. Postextinction diversifications lag far behind the initial taxonomic and morphological impoverishment and homogenization; they do not simply reoccupy vacated adaptive peaks, but explore opportunities as opened and constrained by intrinsic biotic factors and the ecological and evolutionary context of the radiation.

Title:
Lessons from the past: Evolutionary impacts of mass extinctions

--------------------

cuando una rafaga del pensamiento nos pasa  al lado se puede sentir  que valio  la pena  haber vivido, y cuando ese pensamiento se  convierte en sueño no paramos de soñar hasta realizarlo

Edited by cactu (01/12/09 09:10 PM)

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
    #9597817 - 01/12/09 08:51 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Well, first of all I would....

You know what?  Never mind.  :lol:

:hug:

Thanks for posting it.

Just to let you know someone is actually reading it.

--------------------

Invisiblecactu
culture and magic
Male

Trusted Identifier
Re: EVOLUTION IN ACTION: FROM MUSHROOMS TO TRUFFLES? [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #9622255 - 01/16/09 05:01 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

iam obsess with the sequestrate fungus  sorry
Gastrosuillus laricinius  is a Recent Derivative of Suillus grevillei  : Molecular Evidence
http://plantbio.berkeley.edu/~bruns/papers/bruns1992c.html
a really good read i  will put this :What then is the possible role of G. laricinus  in fungal phylogeny? In 1933 Goldschmidt (9) proposed the concept of a hopeful monster. The occurrence of a monster embodies the idea that a change during early developmental processes may produce a fundamentally altered phenotype. This monster would be hopeful should the change be viable and permit the occupation of a new environmental niche. We can apply this concept to G. laricinus  interpreting its secotioid form as a developmental arrest (3). With this view the lack of divergence in the ITS region relative to S. grevillei  and its restriction to a single collecting site suggests that this monster is of very recent origin and thus far has not been particularly successful.

-i put this becasue the where the conclucion i get from the rare psilocybe i found wich  is a secotoid form .

and they go on saying: If we accept the view that G. laricinus  is a recent mutant of S. grevillei then the history of the site allows us to estimate a maximum age of approximately 60 yr for the origin of G. laricinus  . This estimate is derived from the planting date of Larix decidua  Mill. (E. Both, pers. comm.), the apparent mycorrhizal host of both taxa at the Krull Park location (14). It is possible that G. laricinus  was derived somewhere else and migrated into the Krull park site after its establishment, but no appropriate habitats border the park and G. laricinus has never been found in repeated searches of similar habitats in Western New York (E. Both, pers. comm.).

- and  after workman  work in the microscope we can relate  the mutation i find with the psilocybe zapotecorum that grow real close to then . so  maybe is a secotoid form  derive from zapotecorum .and as this article sugest is a early one , i can speculate that my find it had no such antiguity , it most be at much the date of the alnus tree is growing of , is interesting since they also use a tree Larix decidua to calculatte when this mutation takes places , so the tree is bend to the side maybe  for a big inundation  in the area that make the tree fall but is still alive , it does not look like more that 30 year old tree in fact i guees  is less that 10 year this mutation take place but maybe the tree of alnus acuminata wich is growing is more old ...:tripping:  what you said alan since you have take a look a it .
maybe if we can do a phylogeny of all the mushroms in the area we can get more ideas.

--------------------

cuando una rafaga del pensamiento nos pasa  al lado se puede sentir  que valio  la pena  haber vivido, y cuando ese pensamiento se  convierte en sueño no paramos de soñar hasta realizarlo

InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #9622622 - 01/16/09 06:19 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Hi, cactu:cool:
I also have a great interest in secotioid forms, I did not realize that these kinds of mutations could take place in such a small time frame!
I can see the spot that you found those interesting mushrooms in my mind, very close to a river, there is a tunnel or bridge and the mushrooms were growing under that tree, there is a drain pipe coming from the wall directly above the mushrooms.
Maybe the tree has been stunted from the damage and is older than suspected.
In New Zealand secotioid mushrooms form for different reasons compared to other forms around the world that usually form because of dry desert like conditions, for example the Weraroa species in NZ seem to associate with very wet areas near rivers and do a really great job of imitating the fruits of native trees that many of the birds love:)
The secotioid mushroom I found, probably a secotioid form of Psilocybe subaeruginosa I suspect must have formed before your find, I know of three isolated patches that are at least 30km apart, and there have been a few other finds, this makes me think this strange mushroom has had time to spread and find an ecological niche where it can thrive.
I would love to learn more about this subject and am always interested in your research, thankyou cactu for your enthusiasm and great interest in fungi:mushroom2:
inski.

--------------------

Invisiblecactu
culture and magic
Male

Trusted Identifier
Re: EVOLUTION IN ACTION: FROM MUSHROOMS TO TRUFFLES? [Re: inski]
    #9622981 - 01/16/09 07:29 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

inski  since you are a terrific person where it come to try to find answers  and you are in new zealand Australia which is the place with more sequestrate form yet , i guess you may like this next information, .
but i will say i few thing it seem logical that sequestrate from evolve from agaricoid form and  the environment have some to do with it, as i have find  , there is the idea this happened many times when all the world mass extintion takes place, the more Early is the Pleistocene age , but other like Devonian, Triassic, etc, so , mushroom are very clever , the way they reduce their expose to the air and the action of dispersal spores since logical in a dry environment which also make then go underground ,which imitate  sun and wind exposure, but they have the animals and insect in their side is all part of a big plant all nature was doing , ha ha  for example y was thinking why Australia have more secotoids forms  true  more of the land of godwanna  turn into a desert so thing change from humid to dryer areas, but that will not help to reproduce the secotoid hypogious form of mushrooms , what then  well animals , apparently marsupial loves truffle like fungus  and maybe is some of the reason we have so many in Australia , but the thing is world wide in laws, desert, tropical area, i guess also  ice places, you name it, it is happening at least  very frequently  wish also intrigue and as i tell you when i get obsess is , terrible the puzzle  begging to unfold, for example what i was thinking is maybe mushrooms are preparing to the next mass extinction , they are so cleaver that  is in my mind , truffles  have been around for ages and are maybe the last result of the  ultimate extinctions, and the secotoid form as the ones you find i find ,the other  secotoids in all the world i promise iam about to make a list about later,  seem to be  more early  developed , to be close to agaricoid form is some other you can see how they are more like truffle and became  hyphogyus  mushroms ....

my secotoid form i believe come from zapotecorun also loves a wet  enviroment  as weraroa , what make you think what  really trigger the  change , in close  proximity of mi find are some  specimen  wich show normal forms , but this  secotoid form are very consitend for 2 year  know , and i am dying to know if the micelium are interacting some how and how related they are ,

thank you you inski for share all your knowledge and finds . with us
aqui algunos lugares donde se encuentra mucha infromacion alrespecto :
HISTORICAL AND CURRENT PERSPECTIVES IN THE SYSTEMATICS
OF AUSTRALIAN CORTINARIOID SEQUESTRATE (TRUFFLE-LIKE) FUNGI
http://bugs.bio.usyd.edu.au/AustMycolSoc/Journal/2002/21_3_b.pdf
http://www.mykoweb.com/book_reviews/Fungi_of_Southern_Australia.html
Gastrosuillus laricinius  is a Recent Derivative of Suillus grevillei  : Molecular Evidence
http://plantbio.berkeley.edu/~bruns/papers/bruns1992c.html

--------------------

InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #9623465 - 01/16/09 09:12 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

It is very interesting how you connect the evolution of these fungi with mass extinction and also animals, New Zealand is known to have no mammals until the first Maori settlers arrived, this was estimated to be around the 13th century, they brought rats and dogs, before then there were only birds, particularly flightless birds like Kiwis and the extinct Moa which could reach heights of up to 12 feet and weigh up to 250kg, they were all hunted to extinction and now only the Kiwi remains but is very rare!
Maybe Weraroa novaezelandiae is a remnant of a secotioid form that evolved long ago from an ancient agaricoid form, maybe due to environmental conditions like volcanic activity or the introduction of mammals, it's almost as if these fungi reflect the condition of earth, maybe we should see this as a warning!
I suspect the secotioid form I found is getting stronger and will prevail over the more common Psilocybe subaeruginosa in the future and like you say we may soon be finding truffle like fruitbodies with no stipe that are closely related to the present secotioid forms we have been discovering!
Perhaps a random strain becomes susceptible  to something in the environment that causes the mutation as a defence mechanism???
I'm not a scientist but the subject is very interesting and I hope others can contribute their thoughts!
Thanks cactu for all your links, there's a lot of good information there!
inski..

--------------------

Invisiblecactu
culture and magic
Male

Trusted Identifier
Re: EVOLUTION IN ACTION: FROM MUSHROOMS TO TRUFFLES? [Re: inski]
    #9737707 - 02/04/09 10:17 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

the subject goes and go on in my  mind , now iam seein more and more way of the path is a long way to go , but jesus is increble to  understand this creatures.

let quote few articles :

This begs the question of why any self-respecting fungus would want to produce a fruitbody as hideous-looking as that of a truffle. To most of us, elegance in the fungal world would look
more like the Amanitas, Lepiotas, or chanterelles. Something with a stem and a cap, at the very least. Truffle-like fungi look and grow more akin to a potato tuber. (In fact, Tuber is the name of the genus of the most highly prized species of truffles.)

As with everything in nature, though, there is a reason.
Form follows function:

the convoluted hymenium Although it may not be obvious upon first inspection, species of truffle are most closely related to members of the order Pezizales, which includes Peziza, the eyelash fungus (Scutellinia scutellata),and the beautiful scarlet cup (Sarcoscypha coccinea). But how did members of the genus Tuber and their relatives go from a flattened morphology and epigeous (above ground) growth habit to highly convoluted and hypogeous (subterranean)?
In his terrific book The Fifth Kingdom, Bryce Kendrick illustrates the evolutionary sequence from a flattened, above-ground cup like Peziza that likely gave rise to fungi that were increasingly convoluted like Genea.
Taking the reproductive surface layer, or hymenium, and convoluting
it allows for more surface area (and more spore production) per unit area of mushroom. Spring mushroom hunters will recollect a similar morphological progression in morels (Morchella species), from their close relatives like Gyromitra, Helvella, and Verpa. Now take the loosely convoluted Genea and increase the infolding, compressing it, and even letting it develop entirely underground. You are beginning to see the intermediate species en route to the genus Tuber. And in nature, a good idea like the truffle-like habit has evolved more than once!

Basidiome types occurring in the Cortinarius clade. 1. Agaricoid basidiomes of Cortinarius sp. 2–3. Sequestrate basidiome types. 2. Secotioid
basidiome type of Thaxterogaster sp. 3. Gastroid basidome type of Protoglossum sp. Photo by Neale L. Bougher.

inski pictures to get a brief of what i have been said

There are trufflelike
members of the primitive fungal class Zygomycetes, and
false-truffle species likely have evolved several different times
within the Basidiomycetes.
The class Basidiomycetes is without a doubt the group of
fungi most familiar to everyone as it includes the true mushrooms,
boletes, polypores, shelf fungi, bird’s nests, stinkhorns,
and puffballs. Despite the amazing diversity of fruitbodies, all
share a common style of spore production: the club-shaped basidium.
And with such a diverse array of fruitbody morphologies, it
should come as no surprise that within many groups of Basidiomycetes,
there are many sequestrate (those with closed or “hidden”
hymenia) and hypogeous species. In fact, for just about any
common genus of mushrooms, we could follow an evolutionary
progression from “typical” mushroom morphology to more and
more truffle-like. These are the so-called false truffles. Take Lactarius.
We know it to be the ancestor of Arcangeliella and its most
truffle-like kin, Zelleromyces.

Within the family Boletaceae, Boletus,Suillus, and Leccinum have all given rise to epigeous sequestrate forms (Gastroboletus, Gastrosuillus, Gastroleccinum)
Gastroboletus SUBALPINUShttp://www.svims.ca/council/thumbn/Gastroboletus%20turbinatus%201%20Michael%20Beug.jpg

as well as
false truffles (Alpova, Truncocolumella, and Rhizopogon).
Alpova

Rhizopogon luteolus
Ditto Russula through Macowanites to Gymnomyces.
macowanites_luteolusbasidiospores of the sequestrate Macowanites, stained in Melzer's reagent and showing its connection to Russula X 1000

In fact, no fewer than 14 families of mushrooms have separately given rise to sequestrate or false truffle forms. For an excellent review of the topic, try to find “Evolution in action: from mushrooms to truffles?” by Bryce Kendrick (McIlvainea 1994, 11[2]: 34–47).
Form follows function: the subterranean hymenium So, we have discussed—and hopefully made some sense of— the convoluted morphology of truffle-like fruitbodies, but what about the habit of remaining underground? Wouldn’t it make more sense to have the spore-producing surface above ground where spores could be dispersed more easily by wind into the  environment? For most fungi that we mycophiles encounter— the mushrooms—this is the method for dispersing offspring.
Spores are released to the winds whereby chance may favor them
with an opportunity to alight on a suitable substrate for growth.
Or not. Which is probably why wind-dispersed species produce
such vast numbers of spores. (Wind is the method that many
species of plants use to disseminate pollen and fruits as well, of
course.) But if wind dispersal is so successful (and it is the modus
for the ancestors of many truffle and false truffle species), why
go underground? No one is completely sure, but there are several
possible reasons. Perhaps some groups of hypogeous fungi
were driven underground by some biotic factor like mycophagy;
maybe mushroom-grazing animals simply were consuming too
many fruitbodies for that style of reproduction to be successful
within that group. More likely it was because of environmental,
or abiotic, factors. Most fungi are very sensitive to dry conditions,
especially at the time of fruitbody formation. It is probable that as
environmental conditions became more arid locally or globally—
and it is well known that this has occurred repeatedly in the
earth’s history—fungi may have been faced with going underground
or going extinct. You may be surprised to learn that many
of the deserts of Africa and the Middle East abound with trufflelike
fungi! (An in-depth discussion of desert truffles is beyond
the scope of this primer, but papers by two of the world’s experts
on the subject can be found elsewhere in this issue of FUNGI.)
Producing spores within a subterranean fruitbody presents
new challenges: namely, how to get those spores dispersed into
the environment. To ensure successful spore dispersal, all you
have to do is entice a suitable vector. Offers of nutrition would
likely work; many plants employ this technique (think nectar,
here). All sorts of organisms are known to feed on truffles. Several
mammals dig up and consume truffles, including deer and
squirrels; some people believe the western red-backed vole feeds

exclusively on truffles. Many invertebrates are truffle feeders,
including slugs and insects; many fly species probably are strict
truffle feeders. (Easily the best source of information on the
subject is the brand new book Trees, Truffles, and Beasts, reviewed in
this issue.) The most advanced plants mimic an animal’s own
reproductive pheromones, all but guaranteeing pollination. Likewise,
it is well supported that truffles attract mammalian vectors
by producing odors that mimic reproductive pheromones. According
to The Fifth Kingdom, species of Tuber produce a compound
called alpha-androstenol. This chemical also is found in
the saliva of rutting boars and acts as a pheromone to attract sows.
Many other mammals probably also produce this pheromone,
which explains the attraction numerous digging mammals have
for these fungi.

http://www.fungimag.com/Truffle-Issue-08-articles/truffle-primer.pdf
http://www.google.com.mx/search?hl=es&q=stinkhorns+probably+evolved+from+truffle-like+ancestors&btnG=Buscar+con+Google&meta=

In the last several years, molecular analysis has revealed that many of these morphological states have in fact evolved numerous times. Agarics are a good example - while the majority of agaric species belong to one clade, the euagarics, it is clear that there are at least four other separate evolutionary lines that have produced agaric species. The most notable group is the Russulales (Russula and Lactarius), who's closest relatives are woody resupinate fungi like Stereum. Hence, Russula, which for all outward appearances looks as much like an agaric as, for example, Tricholoma, in fact represents a completely separate line of evolution from a polypore-like ancestor to an agaric morphology. Similarly, Panus, Lentinus, and Lentinellus each represent separate lines of evolution from closely-related woody fungi. The gasteromycetes also represent at least three separate evolutionary lines; the Lycoperdaceae turn out to be very close relatives of Agaricus and Lepiota, Scleroderma and Pisolithus are related to the boletes, and earthstars and stinkhorns are relatives of Gomphus and Ramaria. Woody fungi, such as polypores, turn up in five of the eight major evolutionary lines of homobasidiomycetes; this type of morphology may have evolved many times independently, or it may be an ancestral state in several of the evolutionary lines of fleshy fungi.

The boletoid clade is notable for its extreme morphological diversity. This clade contains not only boletes, but also several groups of gastroid and hypogeous fungi, several groups of agarics, and even Serpula, the dry-rot fungus. These varying morphologies are scattered throughout the boletoid clade, and surprisingly, not all boletes are directly related to other boletes. Boletus and Suillus are on widely separate lines of boletoid evolution, with Suillus being a close relative of Rhizopogon and the gophidiaceous agarics. Boletus, for its part, shows closer affinity to several species of Paxillus than to Suillus. The bolete genus Gyroporus is very close to a gastroid clade that includes Pisolithus and Scleroderma. Rounding out this extreme morphological diversity are number of paxillaceous agarics that are found scattered at different points throughout the boletoid clade.
The relationships we are discovering within the euagarics are no less surprising and represent a complete revision of how we have viewed agaric "Families" in the past.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Muscaria   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate