Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetoxic_advocate
Dedicated Student
Male

I suck at growing
    #9495721 - 12/26/08 12:57 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I am very new here and I am hoping to pick up a few tricks from the masters. I have always thought about cultivation, but I wanted to do it exactly right down to the T. Now that I have a few extra dollars I am going to try to buy the best equipment to assure success. I'm so excited to get started with this but on the other note I am afraid I will fail. Do you always fail your first time?

Edited by toxic_advocate (12/26/08 01:30 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineVermonster420
I gotta have more cowbell !
 User Gallery

Loc: Standin' On the Moon
Re: Quick question from a Newb [Re: toxic_advocate]
    #9495730 - 12/26/08 01:01 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

ok,
#1 don't ask a  question and after getting a response edit your post so my response has no relevance at all.
#2 all Shroomery sponsors are credible and secure and ahve great service and products.  Ralphsters is a fav for spores

#3 if you follow the tek, read and search before asking every question that pops in the noodle...you have a great chance of success.

I would also recommend Let's Grow Mushrooms

Good luck

--------------------
To thine own self be true.
That which does not kill me makes me stronger.
Ass...it's the NEW pussy!
"Gungah-DeGungah"

Edited by Vermonster420 (12/26/08 01:37 AM)

Offlinetoxic_advocate
Dedicated Student
Male

Re: Quick question from a Newb [Re: Vermonster420]
    #9495828 - 12/26/08 01:31 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Also I am looking at buying spores from ralphsters. Is this a good idea?

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
Re: Quick question from a Newb [Re: Vermonster420]
    #9495829 - 12/26/08 01:32 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Just learn a lot about it and read up a lot here before asking many questions. Beware of some old data too.

Are you starting with cakes or spawn?

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Re: Quick question from a Newb [Re: ScavengerType]
    #9495830 - 12/26/08 01:32 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

yes

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
Conquer's Club

Offlinetoxic_advocate
Dedicated Student
Male

#9495839 - 12/26/08 01:38 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

ScavengerType said:
Just learn a lot about it and read up a lot here before asking many questions. Beware of some old data too.

Are you starting with cakes or spawn?

I only know what cakes are so I am doing it that way. I have read a couple different things about the same method of growing, its very frustrating since I really don't know which pieces of information are more modernly appropriate. I am so tempted to just jump out the window here with 100 questions at a time but I do know I should take a little time to do some reading. Maybe not today but I hope to become very good at this. Do you have any quick advice as to what mistakes that are common to watch out for. Ahh here I go with questions. lol

OfflineLouiscypher
The Ancient One
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Great PNW
    #9495862 - 12/26/08 01:48 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

http://www.mushroomvideos.com/BRF-Pf-Tek Watch these first

Then start here and read everything on the PF tek since that is what you will be doing. http://www.shroomery.org/5102/The-PF-Tek.  That should get you started. The main thing is follow all directions as they are written, do not experiment as they are proven methods. They are up to date. The good people on this board see to it.

Good luck.

--------------------
1) Cars can hurt you.
2) You cannot fly.
3) It's never a good time to die.
4) Taking your clothes off will draw attention.
5) Keep your mouth shut at all times while in public.
6) Although you may see things that are not there, you won't NOT see things that are there.
7) Don't forget how to breathe.
8) Only carry: a house-key, some loose change, and your address in your shoe.
9) Nobody can tell that you are tripping until you tell them "I'm tripping".
10) No matter how fucked-up you think you are, you'll eventually come down.

Edited by Louiscypher (12/26/08 02:44 AM)

Offlineanakin3197
JEDI MASTER
 User Gallery

#9495869 - 12/26/08 01:49 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

jus follow the teks, watch lets grow mushrooms, for sure. thats got pretty much everything you need to know

OfflineVermonster420
I gotta have more cowbell !
 User Gallery

Loc: Standin' On the Moon
    #9495874 - 12/26/08 01:50 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

start with the PF (psilocybe fanaticus) TEK (technique)...it's the foundation and most forgiving.
watch the videos I linked to.  even find some of them on youtube!
get the supplies you need before diving in headfirst.
search, read, then read more. The gurus on here have no problem offering help but realized like thirty newbs a days come on all excited and asking the same or similar questions every F-N day.  search previous posts for you ? first, if not successful PM (private message) me and i'll at least point you in the right direction.
Funny how much fun learning sciences is when you have a vested interest!

--------------------
To thine own self be true.
That which does not kill me makes me stronger.
Ass...it's the NEW pussy!
"Gungah-DeGungah"

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

#9495876 - 12/26/08 01:52 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

RR's PF tek Videos

RR's videos are real helpful.

On the flipside there is relatively little outdated information on the PF tek (cakes).

-Build a glovebox and sterile method kit and inoculate.
-Don't bother with an incubator.
-You may want to focus on the type of FC (fruiting chamber) you are building when you've gotten your cakes inoculated. I personaly hate the shotgun FC that is in RR's videos and prefer PMP or monotub style FCs for cakes. That's just my oppinion though.

These things are the mainstay of your project for the next while. Sterile inoculation is important and you should deffinately prepare mentaly what you will do durring sterile procedures, particularily the first few times or first time on a new task. This can keep failure from occuring.

--------------------
Conquer's Club

Offlineanakin3197
JEDI MASTER
 User Gallery

#9495884 - 12/26/08 01:56 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

yeah i found using a pmp is better for me

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Re: Quick question from a Newb [Re: anakin3197]
    #9495901 - 12/26/08 02:07 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

some people don't like the noise though.

--------------------
Conquer's Club

Offlinetoxic_advocate
Dedicated Student
Male

#9495905 - 12/26/08 02:11 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Wow I can't believe how many posts I have gotten already within an hours time. I totally appreciate it from all of you, considering none of u even have to bother. I can't thank you guys enough for not sendin me off because of my lack of experience. The good news is I can almost understand all of what you guys are talking about though you did lose me on the different types of FCs. Assuming an FC is the the same thing as a terrarium, I was just going to ghetto-rig a fish aquarium as it is the most common thing I have seen. I will have to poke my nose around about these specific FCs though, I have much research to do. BTW are we allowed to post links to other sites (like ebay). I was going to purchase this Laminar Flow Hood Workstation, it costs a couple hundred dollars but I wanted an experienced opinion on it. If you think it can ALMOST guarantee that my jars don't get contaminated I will most likely buy. Once again I think it's cool of all of you to take time to help me out. I hope to be just as helpful as all of you are one day if I ever become good enough at this. I will try to refrain from being too annoying as I know most of my answers are already attainable somewhere. Don't worry about me repeating my questions though. I pick up pretty fast :tongue:

Offlinetoxic_advocate
Dedicated Student
Male

#9495908 - 12/26/08 02:13 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

also I would like to apologize to vermonster, I did not intend for it to be like that.:sad:

OfflineLouiscypher
The Ancient One
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #9495911 - 12/26/08 02:17 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I did all these jars without a flow hood. Did them in a glove box. If you are careful and wipe the tops of the lids with alcohol and sterilize the needle you should have no problem. If you want to throw money away have at it.

--------------------
1) Cars can hurt you.
2) You cannot fly.
6) Although you may see things that are not there, you won't NOT see things that are there.

Offlinetoxic_advocate
Dedicated Student
Male

Re: Quick question from a Newb [Re: Louiscypher]
    #9495915 - 12/26/08 02:22 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Louiscypher said:
I did all these jars without a flow hood. Did them in a glove box. If you are careful and wipe the tops of the lids with alcohol and sterilize the needle you should have no problem. If you want to throw money away have at it.

I think I would rather take advice from somebody who knows more about what they are doing than me. You are at LEAST that many uncontaminated jars up on me. lol. But just so I'm not totally confused, some or all of those jars are not fully colonized correct? Also you wipe them with alcohol AFTER inoculation or will that harm what you have done? God I bet I sound stupid right now I apologize.

Edited by toxic_advocate (12/26/08 02:24 AM)

Offlineanakin3197
JEDI MASTER
 User Gallery

Re: Quick question from a Newb [Re: Louiscypher]
    #9495918 - 12/26/08 02:24 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

i dont use a flow hood or a gb. i use a small bathroom, sterlize the fuck out of it, close the vent, and go to work.  out of 50 or 60 jars so far, only one got contamd

OfflineLouiscypher
The Ancient One
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #9495923 - 12/26/08 02:26 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

No some are not completely colonized yet. They were inoculated at 3 different times.

--------------------
1) Cars can hurt you.
2) You cannot fly.

Offlinetoxic_advocate
Dedicated Student
Male

#9495924 - 12/26/08 02:27 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

not only offer me advice but you guys save me 600 dollars. I was really going to buy it too...like tomorrow. WOW. Maybe I will donate a portion of it to this site. I assume they accept donations?

Offlineanakin3197
JEDI MASTER
 User Gallery

#9495929 - 12/26/08 02:30 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

nonthing imo opinion cant completly gurantee aganist a bad jar. all you can do , is do your best, prep correctly, and sterlize the fuck out of everything. i even have my wife spray lysol all over me, jus in case,

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate