Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinewisco
hello nurse!!!

aborts?
    #9480589 - 12/22/08 09:45 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I'm on my first grow using the PF tek method. So far I'm pretty happy with my results considering I have made some mistakes along the way.

My first cakes to produce pins produced very few but I got some nice sized mushrooms from them. 

Now I have a cake that just started pinning and its got a shit load of them! Its way beyond what my others are doing so I'm thinking I'm gonna have some aborts. Is there something I can do to maximize my yield from this cake? I counted 63 pins on this cake in clusters of 10 to 15 pins!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

Re: aborts? [Re: wisco]
    #9480621 - 12/22/08 09:49 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Well since you have so many pins, the shrooms are only gonna get so big, and will be on the small side.  You probably wouldn't wanna do it, but removing some of the smaller/weaker looking pins would open up more resources for the rest of em.

I'd just leave it be tho, it will be pretty cool looking.  Really not much you can besides good misting to give it the moisture it needs and fanning.

Offlinewisco
hello nurse!!!

Re: aborts? [Re: J3illy]
    #9480659 - 12/22/08 09:57 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

It is pretty impressive to look at! But at this point they are all pretty much the same size and hard to tell which ones are week and which ones aren't

InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

#9480683 - 12/22/08 10:02 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Yea I wouldn't really go that route. 

I was watching this video before tho, about this commercial growing setup they do in Japan for some type of mushie.  And what they do, is once pinning/growing starts, they let them grow a bit - and then cut off ALL the small or weak ones, just leaving 1 per cake.  So all the resources go to that single mushie and it gets really big/healthy.

Offlinegofudgeyourself
Student
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #9481633 - 12/23/08 02:21 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

leave the pins, if they turn blackish or blue they aborted...if not they arent mature yet.

--------------------
"believe it if you need it, or leave it if you dare."

"turn all the hate in the world, into a mocking bird. make it fly away" :peace:

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: aborts? [Re: gofudgeyourself]
    #9482031 - 12/23/08 07:13 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

gofudgeyourself said:
leave the pins, if they turn blackish or blue they aborted...if not they arent mature yet.

If they turn black there aborted.

I would leave all those pins. You may get smaller mushrooms but the overall weight isnt going to be less than if the cake had half the number of pins that grew larger.

Larger mushrooms are nice, but it has been said that smaller mushrooms tend to be more potent per gram of material compared to much larger fruits.

Just ensure to provide plenty of moisture, give your terrarium a good misting and fan afterswords to dry any water that may have formed on fruitbodys.

Also, a spoonfulll of verm ontop kept moist (if there are no pins ontop) will help provide moisture. If your cake was dunked for 24 hours submerged under water, it should have plenty moisture. Just ensure your humidity stays high.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineVaelu
Strange Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sin City
Re: aborts? [Re: J3illy]
    #9482081 - 12/23/08 07:40 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

J3illy said:
Yea I wouldn't really go that route. 

I was watching this video before tho, about this commercial growing setup they do in Japan for some type of mushie.  And what they do, is once pinning/growing starts, they let them grow a bit - and then cut off ALL the small or weak ones, just leaving 1 per cake.  So all the resources go to that single mushie and it gets really big/healthy.

that sounds like a matustake (not sure of the English on that).

It's an edible mushroom used in fine cuisine that is VERY expensive - especially if you get a big one.  Think of it as the Kobe beef cow of mushrooms.

--------------------
"When the student is ready the teacher appears..."

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates