Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | Next > | Last >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAcidHorse
No Name No Slogan
Male User Gallery

Re: morel cult thread [Re: faffle]
    #9798713 - 02/14/09 10:54 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Another thing I have to point out is that you can't have those jars out in direct light.
As per Tom Volk's paper he pointed out that sclerotial development was almost null when they were left in light.
So make sure you keep those jars in an absolutely dark place.

--------------------
If you wanna ride, don't ride the white horse, if you wanna ride, ride the white pony

Edited by AcidHorse (02/14/09 10:59 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefaffle
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: morel cult thread [Re: AcidHorse]
    #9801587 - 02/15/09 09:01 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Those pics were before sterilization. What you are seeing is blur, not mycelium. I sterilized them yesterday, and I will inoculate them today.  Right now, I don't buy into the idea of adding non-sterile top layers to sterile grains before inoculation.  I have sclerotia forming in my petri dishes already, so I think bacteria has nothing to do with their formation.  I guess we'll find out.  So far I haven't seen any pictures of experiments on this site like this, so I have very little information to base my procedures on.  Where is this paper about light and sclerotia?  I figured I would start with the simplest procedure possible before experimenting with the more complicated stuff.  Plus, if my top layers were pasteurized, wouldn't they be like guaranteed to get moldy eventually?  I don't want mold spores everywhere, I have another important reishi project going for school credit.

When it comes to fruiting them, that's when I will involve unsterile soil.  It would probably be a good idea to collect soil from around morels you find in the spring.  Then you can expand the microbes in that soil by mixing it with large amounts of pasteurized soil.  I'm guessing there are specific microbes that live at that time?

--------------------

Edited by faffle (02/15/09 09:22 AM)

OfflineGetHyphae
Stranger

#9802317 - 02/15/09 12:44 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Ive been trying to read up on morel cultivation---alot of sites say that it may take a few years to produce fruits. Is this true? or is it possible to start indoors as many of you are doing and move them outside in the correct season to have a harvest that year?

OfflineAcidHorse
No Name No Slogan
Male User Gallery

#9803638 - 02/15/09 05:29 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

faffle said:
Those pics were before sterilization. What you are seeing is blur, not mycelium. I sterilized them yesterday, and I will inoculate them today.  Right now, I don't buy into the idea of adding non-sterile top layers to sterile grains before inoculation.  I have sclerotia forming in my petri dishes already, so I think bacteria has nothing to do with their formation.  I guess we'll find out.

Quote:

faffle said:
So far I haven't seen any pictures of experiments on this site like this, so I have very little information to base my procedures on.

There's plenty in the information section on oyster mushroom cultivation. Particularly the PDF files. They say the same thing about pasteurization and the temperature needing to be at about 140°F, but not above it because it kills off good microbes and lets trichoderma in.
Roger Rabbit will confirm this.

http://www.oystermushrooms.net/chap2.pdf

Quote:

faffle said:
Where is this paper about light and sclerotia?

READ-THIS
"Four light regimens, ranging from continuous light to
continuous darkness, were tested to determine their effect
on Morchella sclerotium formation in RPYTC medium. The
light was provided by a standard fluorescent light (25 W) at
a distance of 1 m.
"

"Effect of light on sclerotium production. The effects of four
light regimens on the production of sclerotia by Morchella
spp. in 8-oz. glass jars is shown in Table 3. Sclerotium yield
was maximum in continuous darkness and was completely
inhibited by continuous light. Intermediate light conditions
caused some inhibition. The biological efficiencies clearly
fell into three groups with regard to light duration when
analyzed by Duncan's multiple-range test."

"Physiological and Environmental Studies of Sclerotium Formation
and Maturation in Isolates of Morchella crassipes
THOMAS J. VOLK' and THOMAS J. LEONARD' 2*
Departments of Botany' and Genetics,2 University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, Wisconsin 53706
Received 20 April 1989/Accepted 18 September 1989"

http://aem.asm.org/cgi/reprint/55/12/3095.pdf

Quote:

faffle said:
I figured I would start with the simplest procedure possible before experimenting with the more complicated stuff.  Plus, if my top layers were pasteurized, wouldn't they be like guaranteed to get moldy eventually?  I don't want mold spores everywhere, I have another important reishi project going for school credit.

Cultivation of morchella - United States Patent 4594809
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4594809.html

READ-THIS
"The substratum is steam-pasteurized or hot water-pasteurized or autoclaved. Pasteurized substratum is then typically mixed with water to produce a workable slurry. The slurry is poured into a tray that has holes in its bottom for drainage. After the slurry is added to the desired depth in the tray, it is allowed to draim until the soil is void of gravitational water; i.e., is below field capacity, allowing for maximum air spaces. This is advantageous in at least two ways. First, it allows for increased sclerotia production, and more specifically, sclerotia are formed throughout the substratum. Secondly, removal of standing water helps to minimize later microbial contamination problems. Also, as an alternate approach for tray preparation, trays may first be filled with the substratum as above, then pasteurized. "
READ-THIS
"After the poured substratum is inoculated with sclerotial pieces, the temperature around the tray is maintained between about 10° C. and about 22° C., the relative humidity is maintained between about 75 and about 95 percent, and the water content of the substratum is maintained between about 50% and about 75%. Soon after inoculation, hyphae grow from the sclerotia and completely colonize the tray in about one week. As the mycelia develop, no further water is added, thereby allowing the substratum to dry, preferably to a substratum moisture content of below about 75%. Drying of the substratum before feeding is considered to be an important factor in inhibiting growth of bacteria and other fungi which would harm or compete with the developing morels. "

Quote:

faffle said:
When it comes to fruiting them, that's when I will involve unsterile soil.  It would probably be a good idea to collect soil from around morels you find in the spring.  Then you can expand the microbes in that soil by mixing it with large amounts of pasteurized soil.  I'm guessing there are specific microbes that live at that time?

Yes of course at that "time" temperatures are just getting above 50°F and that is a line that once is crossed causes dormant bacteria to become active. Its all about those nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria.

Yes yes, there is an option of just inoculating sterilized PC'd substrate with the microbe(s). But which one?
If you need them to influence better growth of sclerotia you really have no choice but to use pasteurized substrate.
And preferably soil from the woods mixed with some mulch.

--------------------
If you wanna ride, don't ride the white horse, if you wanna ride, ride the white pony

Edited by AcidHorse (02/16/09 12:50 AM)

OfflineAcidHorse
No Name No Slogan
Male User Gallery

Re: morel cult thread [Re: GetHyphae]
    #9803659 - 02/15/09 05:34 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

GetHyphae said:
Ive been trying to read up on morel cultivation---alot of sites say that it may take a few years to produce fruits. Is this true?

Depends on the land, the soil, the environment, maybe even the particular species of morel.
Stamets suggests planting in fall or winter for a localized fruiting.

Quote:

or is it possible to start indoors as many of you are doing and move them outside in the correct season to have a harvest that year?

Of course.

--------------------

OfflineAcidHorse
No Name No Slogan
Male User Gallery

#9810673 - 02/16/09 09:14 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

temperatures have been too damn cold here.

--------------------

OfflineAcidHorse
No Name No Slogan
Male User Gallery

#9817099 - 02/17/09 09:27 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

"Two types of sclerotia developed in response to bacterial confrontation suggesting a synergy between the presence of certain bacteria and sclerotia formation. Our research indicates that the potential of bacteria, and their role in the stimulation of sclerotia/morel fruit bodies, warrants further investigation."

http://www.rirdc.gov.au/reports/AFO/04-024sum.html

--------------------

Offlinemetalhead
GIT-R-DONE!
Male

Loc: earth
    #9819594 - 02/18/09 12:01 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

hey acidhorse what do you think of my x=sclerotia jars? they got really contamed before i could extract them so i have to start over. My syringe is gone so i'm on the hunt for more cultures again.

--------------------

OfflineAcidHorse
No Name No Slogan
Male User Gallery

Re: morel cult thread [Re: metalhead]
    #9822079 - 02/18/09 07:41 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

metalhead said:
hey acidhorse what do you think of my x=sclerotia jars? they got really contamed before i could extract them so i have to start over. My syringe is gone so i'm on the hunt for more cultures again.

Well I know you didn't pasteurize so that contributed to it.
Read those teks on Oyster mushroom cultivation and look at their sections on pasteurization.

I couldn't believe you just went with un-sterile or un-pasteurized substrate. 

Its mentioned quite often in the patent about how important it is to reduce the gravitational moisture, drain to field capacity.
Moisture levels must be regulated. Reduced towards a certain amount.
Consider the absorbancy of the wood mulch. Do the squeeze test. If it drips a large amount its too wet.

Cook that stuff at 140°F and cook that bad stuff out.

The hottest place on the surface of the planet due to the Sun, reached 136°F in a desert in Libya.

I doubt trichoderma or penicillia would survive such a dry environment.

--------------------

Offlinemetalhead
GIT-R-DONE!
Male

Loc: earth
    #9822102 - 02/18/09 07:46 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

i just wanted to see if there was somthing to the microbe theory. and obviously there was. I tryed cultures on un nute agar and found it didn't support sclerotia and barely supported myc. i know how to pastureize. can you tell me again how that layered jar culture goes?

--------------------

OfflineAcidHorse
No Name No Slogan
Male User Gallery

#9822549 - 02/18/09 09:11 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

? I posted pictures in the first part of this thread that diagram it.
Check 1 or 2 on this thread.

--------------------

OfflineAcidHorse
No Name No Slogan
Male User Gallery

#9822601 - 02/18/09 09:17 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Watch out if you use grass seed. It tends to clump and restricts max air spaces when its wet, so you'll need to
fluff it up to release excess moisture.

--------------------

OfflineAcidHorse
No Name No Slogan
Male User Gallery

#9822609 - 02/18/09 09:19 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

metalhead said:
i just wanted to see if there was somthing to the microbe theory. and obviously there was.

"Two types of sclerotia developed in response to bacterial confrontation suggesting a synergy between the presence of certain bacteria and sclerotia formation. Our research indicates that the potential of bacteria, and their role in the stimulation of sclerotia/morel fruit bodies, warrants further investigation."

http://www.rirdc.gov.au/reports/AFO/04-024sum.html

Of course there is.

--------------------

Offlinefaffle
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#9828297 - 02/19/09 06:08 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------

OfflineAcidHorse
No Name No Slogan
Male User Gallery

#9828354 - 02/19/09 06:16 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

yep "micro-sclerotia"

--------------------

OfflineAcidHorse
No Name No Slogan
Male User Gallery

#9828368 - 02/19/09 06:17 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

That jar with the corn looks super wet

--------------------

Offlinefaffle
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#9831367 - 02/20/09 01:58 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

my jars are as wet as your grandma's pussy :rolleyes:

--------------------

Offlinefaffle
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#9831375 - 02/20/09 02:00 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

:rolleyes:

--------------------

OfflineAcidHorse
No Name No Slogan
Male User Gallery

#9836782 - 02/21/09 01:19 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

My grandma passed away in April 2008 coinky dink, right when the morel season started. Made things damn difficult too.

--------------------

Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Not Too Sure Flag
    #9836889 - 02/21/09 02:16 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

AcidHorse said:
My grandma passed away in April 2008 coinky dink, right when the morel season started. Made things damn difficult too.

sorry to hear that
my prayers go out to you and your family
keep on huntin tho

-noobie-

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:
not sure what GE and FAE are but i should probably get some.

Citric said:
Your signature is wrong on colonization temps!

GOOD JUDGMENT COMES FROM EXPERIENCE
EXPERIENCE COMES FROM BAD JUDGMENT

ROOM TEMP 70-75 IS BEST FOR COLONIZATION
Thank you mycochef

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | Next > | Last >

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom