Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

Re: My position as a Devil's Advocate. [Re: deranger]
    #9469925 - 12/20/08 11:03 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

deranger said: it seems any understanding that may arise from this would be nothing but fruitless and superficial.

You could argue the same for any P&S topic.  :mushroom2:

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblederanger
 User Gallery

Loc: off the wall
Re: My position as a Devil's Advocate. [Re: deCypher]
    #9470006 - 12/20/08 11:17 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

now that i can't argue :lol:

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
    #9470198 - 12/20/08 11:52 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

You could argue (that any thread would be fruitless) the same for any P&S topic.

My past year's holiday Cranberry Nut Bread and Banana Nut Bread threads were far from fruitless.

:rimshot:

--------------------

Invisiblederanger
 User Gallery

Loc: off the wall
Re: My position as a Devil's Advocate. [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #9470300 - 12/21/08 12:12 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

thanks for reminding me of banana bread, completely forgot about it.

i'll probably end up cooking a loaf tomorrow :crazy2:

OfflineC.M. Mann
subconscious explorer
Male

Loc: Florida
    #9470638 - 12/21/08 01:28 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I, like you am here to learn.

OfflineBooby
Agent Mulder
 User Gallery
    #9471149 - 12/21/08 03:50 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

deCypher said:
Lately it seems some have misunderstood my general position on these forums, so I'd like to clarify a few points.

I like to argue.  A lot.

Arguments are like team sports, you get a lot of people to back up your position and you carry that pigskin to the goal, whereupon the winners feel good and the losers feel bad. Perhaps we're just hooked on the serotonin.

Quote:

deCypher said:But the same old, tired, and trite resorts to skepticism about paranormal phenomena, God, religion, and other questionable matters gets old after a while.  I'm on this board primarily to practice argumentation and good debate, and I therefore find it much more interesting and entertaining to argue for the weaker position; namely, to defend the existence of telepathy, convince that solipsism is true, or what have you.  Consequently, my personal views rarely, if ever, come into my posts.

No, you just want to feel that energyboost again

Quote:

deCypher said:I'm curious--how many other people on this forum argue mainly for the sake of arguing and bettering their skills in debate?

Debating has a place I suppose as a spectator sport, we love to see them Nascars hit the wall and come undone.

Quote:

deCypher said:"Know thy enemy and know yourself; in a hundred battles, you will never be defeated.

A basic precept in philosophy: "I have met the enemy and it is ourselves." We have to forget that if we want to enjoy the kicks of cutting ourselves while shaving (another lame euphemism from me)

The reason I'm on these forums is because it is like a metropolis full of interesting people and I'm gregarious by nature but would rather meet your scintillating greatness here than in a dark alley.

--------------------
Let it not be remembered
That mycelium eats detritus and dies
But that life in all it's glory
Counts mycelium to be on it's side.

Edited by Booby (12/21/08 04:27 AM)

Invisiblezannennagara
Found in Space
Male

#9471221 - 12/21/08 04:40 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Just as "sinister" is opposite to "right," devil's advocacy is opposite to true belief and slandered with evil for that opposition. As foolish as it is to demonize all opposition is it foolish to inhabit opposition (or proposition) as a role.

There is no side in a debate, rather an array perspectives that tend to be segmented into different views with different solutions. A real look at any issue requires the broadest possible spectrum of perspectives, so the devil's advocate helps in the sense of bringing unconsidered positions to the table.

However this should not be viewed as an exercise in clinical argument parsing but as a necessity for any viewpoint lest one willingly relegate oneself to myopia - in essence it should not be a view "point," since that implies choosing one view instead of the others, but a view field that adapts to and encompasses every noticeable point.

You should challenge your own views so that they do incorporate the "opposition" and raise these alternative points when others miss them, but you should not dissociate yourself from any viewpoint that you understand; you should not pretend to believe something you do not but seek to understand how you might like others do.

--------------------
No debe haber separaciĆ³n, no puede haber definiciĆ³n.

OfflinejivJaN
yes
Male User Gallery

#9471328 - 12/21/08 06:08 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

deCypher said:
Lately it seems some have misunderstood my general position on these forums, so I'd like to clarify a few points.

I like to argue.  A lot.  But the same old, tired, and trite resorts to skepticism about paranormal phenomena, God, religion, and other questionable matters gets old after a while.  I'm on this board primarily to practice argumentation and good debate, and I therefore find it much more interesting and entertaining to argue for the weaker position; namely, to defend the existence of telepathy, convince that solipsism is true, or what have you.  Consequently, my personal views rarely, if ever, come into my posts.

I'm curious--how many other people on this forum argue mainly for the sake of arguing and bettering their skills in debate?  Devil's advocate is an excellent role to play, IMO, not only because it disallows your verbal opponents from pigeonholing you into stale categories, but because it also forces you to understand the perspective of both sides.

"Know thy enemy and know yourself; in a hundred battles, you will never be defeated. When you are ignorant of the enemy but know yourself, your chances of winning or losing are equal. If ignorant both of your enemy and of yourself, you are sure to be defeated in every battle."

lol  :smile:
I love you..

"my personal views rarely, if ever, come into my posts."

"Know thy enemy and know yourself; in a hundred battles, you will never be defeated. When you are ignorant of the enemy but know yourself, your chances of winning or losing are equal. If ignorant both of your enemy and of yourself, you are sure to be defeated in every battle."

Wait.. But we dont get to know you..
do we ?

somehow .. it seems to me that the Joker is the only one  laughing.. at the actual joke ! He is the one making the joke.
And he is doing it again..
Right now.
He never stops .. you know ?
Im scared of him...........................

You set the rules
You make the game
There is nothing to clarify ...
if it were clear to all .. You wouldnt like it.
... it wouldnt work

--------------------

---------------------

All my posts in this forum are strictly fictional.
They are derived from an acute mental illness , from which i am forced to lie compulsively.
I have never induced any kind of mind altering substance in my life  and i have no intentions whatsoever of doing anything illegal.
If I have ever suggested such a thing it would have most likely been , due to my personality disorder and i probably do not remember it at all..

OfflineBooby
Agent Mulder
 User Gallery
    #9471337 - 12/21/08 06:11 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Debate allows for the possibility that it isn't the alpha&omega.

The alpha&omega of course being a single-cell organism that subsists entirely on the appreciation of beauty in all it's forms.

--------------------
Let it not be remembered
That mycelium eats detritus and dies
But that life in all it's glory
Counts mycelium to be on it's side.

Edited by Booby (12/21/08 06:17 AM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder