Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Amazon Hydroponics Supplies, Hygrometer, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleflorida lurker
dude
Male

Loc: florida
§~ PERLITE HUMIDITY --> to drill LOTS of holes in FC or not....?????? ~§
    #9466506 - 12/20/08 01:22 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

OK, I'v been looking through some threads on humidity. RogerRabbit drills lots of holes on each side of his terrariums (more air exchange),, and he gets great results. He mentions that he can maintain a humidity level of about 95% with his technique.:thumbup:

In some of these humidity threads people say to let the perlite sit in a puddle of water of about a half inch....  And in RogerRabbits technique the perlite is wet but not sitting in a puddle.....

There's people who disagree with this saying that the extra air exchange from the holes would not necessarily let air flow up through the bottom, but only let air fall into the FC through the holes on the top via gravity.....

Who here is using RogerRabbit's technique that he shows in his DVD. With holes drilled on each side of the terrarium.  And how are your humidification results using this method../??????

:yoda2:

--------------------
˚çriyt•¶5vΩΩ∑πûg§¢e§ªºπø˚m\®∂

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: §~ PERLITE HUMIDITY --> to drill LOTS of holes in FC or not....?????? ~§ [Re: florida lurker]
    #9466629 - 12/20/08 01:46 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

There's people who disagree with this saying that the extra air exchange from the holes would not necessarily let air flow up through the bottom, but only let air fall into the FC through the holes on the top via gravity.....

He he...Gotta watch out for that gravity induced air fall!

The technical description is on the terrarium tek page.  Air always wants to travel from high pressure to low, thus the cooler temps in the damp verm create a slight pressure gradient with the warmer air above, causing air to travel through the perlite and up into the warmer fruiting chamber, bringing the humidity with it.  The long version of that explanation is on the page referenced.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisibleflorida lurker
dude
Male

Re: §~ PERLITE HUMIDITY --> to drill LOTS of holes in FC or not....?????? ~§ *DELETED* *DELETED* *DELETED* [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9469263 - 12/20/08 10:36 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Post deleted by florida lurker

Reason for deletion: .

Edited by florida lurker (12/20/08 11:44 PM)

Invisibleflorida lurker
dude
Male

Re: §~ PERLITE HUMIDITY --> to drill LOTS of holes in FC or not....?????? ~§ *DELETED* [Re: florida lurker]
    #9478970 - 12/22/08 05:53 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------

OfflinePsuper
Psilocybin

Loc: PNW
Re: §~ PERLITE HUMIDITY --> to drill LOTS of holes in FC or not....?????? ~§ [Re: florida lurker]
    #9478985 - 12/22/08 05:56 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

You don't want any standing water in your perlite tub, and use lots of perlite.  Definately don't need a casing layer in perlite tubs when cultivating Cubensis. ~Pixie~

--------------------
Clinical Management of High Dose Psilocybin Sessions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbHOTIqjZLk

OfflinePsuper
Psilocybin

Re: §~ PERLITE HUMIDITY --> to drill LOTS of holes in FC or not....?????? ~§ [Re: Psuper]
    #9479034 - 12/22/08 06:07 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I've used two identical 36gallon tubs; one shotgun style, the other fanned manually with no holes.  Both maintained great RH.  I was using multi-spore innoculations for both these projects (in case anyone is wonderin').

When folks are saying that they aren't mainting desirable RH utilizing a properly sized and built shotgun-tek terrarium I think there's two probable reasons: one, they simply aren't using enough perlite and/or two, the tub itself is in a dry climate.  RR has mentioned some minimum RH level you're house should probably be at but i don't remember what it is off the top of my head. ~Pixie~

--------------------

OfflinePsuper
Psilocybin

Re: §~ PERLITE HUMIDITY --> to drill LOTS of holes in FC or not....?????? ~§ [Re: Psuper]
    #9479056 - 12/22/08 06:12 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Oh yeah, and it helps to have some good sized, chunky perlite.  Don't even be buying twenty tiny bags of shitty perlite at walmart; find a good source; you're best bet is hydroponic shops and large nurseries.  Look for either a two or four cubic foot bag, and look in it before you buy it. ~Pixie~

--------------------

Offlinefr33d0mfry
Ghettorig Guru
Male User Gallery

#9479251 - 12/22/08 07:11 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Psuper said:
RR has mentioned some minimum RH level you're house should probably be at but i don't remember what it is off the top of my head. ~Pixie~

I do remember what he said off the top of my head.
Ambient RH should be 50%+ for a shotgun FC to work properly.

:smile:

--------------------
I am the first person to admit that I'm wrong about something, If I post anything misinforming or misleading, do not hesitate to call me out on it. IF I'm actually wrong, that is. I usually wont post something unless i know it to be 100% true, but mistakes happen.
If you try to tell me i'm wrong about something im positive of, i will argue with you until you stop breathing.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: §~ PERLITE HUMIDITY --> to drill LOTS of holes in FC or not....?????? ~§ [Re: fr33d0mfry]
    #9479287 - 12/22/08 07:20 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I've ran them at less than 50% and they do OK, but your house will be more comfortable and your heating bills will be less if you'll keep your house at about 50%.  I run two coolmists in the house all winter, but then again it gets down to -30F in my area, and I keep the wood stove stoked up nice and hot.

There's nothing like sipping hot chocolate with a shot of vodka in it, while sitting nice and warm in front of a fire and watching the snow fall. . .
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinefr33d0mfry
Ghettorig Guru
Male User Gallery

Re: §~ PERLITE HUMIDITY --> to drill LOTS of holes in FC or not....?????? ~§ [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9479315 - 12/22/08 07:27 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
I've ran them at less than 50% and they do OK, but your house will be more comfortable and your heating bills will be less if you'll keep your house at about 50%.  I run two coolmists in the house all winter, but then again it gets down to -30F in my area, and I keep the wood stove stoked up nice and hot.

There's nothing like sipping hot chocolate with a shot of vodka in it, while sitting nice and warm in front of a fire and watching the snow fall. . .
RR

Yeah I gotta get some room humidifiers for my house.
Haha I remember cursing your name RR when i tried my first PF-tek grow in a shotgun fc, because it couldn't get above 75% humidity, then i realized that where I live the air is much drier than in most places.

--------------------
I am the first person to admit that I'm wrong about something, If I post anything misinforming or misleading, do not hesitate to call me out on it. IF I'm actually wrong, that is. I usually wont post something unless i know it to be 100% true, but mistakes happen.
If you try to tell me i'm wrong about something im positive of, i will argue with you until you stop breathing.

Invisibleflorida lurker
dude
Male

Re: §~ PERLITE HUMIDITY --> to drill LOTS of holes in FC or not....?????? ~§ [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9482003 - 12/23/08 08:48 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

yeah RR, vodka and fire is always funn:thumbup:

--------------------

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #9482010 - 12/23/08 08:54 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Psuper said:
I've used two identical 36gallon tubs; one shotgun style, the other fanned manually with no holes.  Both maintained great RH.  I was using multi-spore innoculations for both these projects (in case anyone is wonderin').

When folks are saying that they aren't mainting desirable RH utilizing a properly sized and built shotgun-tek terrarium I think there's two probable reasons: one, they simply aren't using enough perlite and/or two, the tub itself is in a dry climate.  RR has mentioned some minimum RH level you're house should probably be at but i don't remember what it is off the top of my head. ~Pixie~

Nice post. Good to see someone doing a side by side comparison.

Also make sure that you are using an analogue hygrometer thats calibrated. If you have readings of less than 90% and you dont live in a dry climate its probably wrong.

I have a digital one and it never read any higher than 96%. I knew it was wrong since i was getting some nice sized fruits. Plus i tested it with a damp towel and it never went above 96%.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Invisibleflorida lurker
dude
Male

Re: §~ PERLITE HUMIDITY --> to drill LOTS of holes in FC or not....?????? ~§ *DELETED* [Re: veda_sticks]
    #9562873 - 01/07/09 09:32 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Amazon Hydroponics Supplies, Hygrometer, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation