Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleCDS
 User Gallery

Loc: Grey Area
Monotubs ready for casing??? & Frosting layer question??? (PICS)
    #9451588 - 12/17/08 06:33 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

So these were spawned ten days ago, and they look almost ready for casing- but I'm wondering if a frosting layer may give a false appearance of full colonization when in fact the lower layers are not.

Whats a good way to tell if the whole thing is colonized? Is there any rule of thumb like with cakes where you give it another week after it appears done?

Right Side

Left Side

Rizomorphs Starting to Shoot Up

Uncolonized Patch

-THanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRoYaL_fLuSh
Stranger
Male

Loc: UK
Re: Monotubs ready for casing??? & Frosting layer question??? (PICS) [Re: CDS]
    #9451655 - 12/17/08 06:44 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

CDS said:
So these were spawned ten days ago, and they look almost ready for casing- but I'm wondering if a frosting layer may give a false appearance of full colonization when in fact the lower layers are not.

Whats a good way to tell if the whole thing is colonized? Is there any rule of thumb like with cakes where you give it another week after it appears done?
-THanks

frosting layer is worthless ... better off spawning the middle of a sub than the top ... the mycelia network has to rebuild itself when you break it up and its at its most vulnerable position for catching some bug ...ppl have long since thought the opposite believing the frosting to be more of a contam ward .. safer to cover it with the pasteurized sub and let it work its way from the middle ... but in ref to your immediate situation id say let it go 3 days after complete colonization of the visible areas ... any longer puts you at risk to pre pinning before casing ...

OfflineiMtRiPpIn
Lookin' fer Luv
 User Gallery

Re: Monotubs ready for casing??? & Frosting layer question??? (PICS) [Re: RoYaL_fLuSh]
    #9451860 - 12/17/08 07:24 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

You do not want any grains exposed because they are susceptible to contamination.  When you do a frosting layer, you have grains on top that have had the mycellium knocked off of them, and they are exposed to the air, ripe for contamination.  In fact, that lower left corner looks like the mycellium stopped dead there, almost as if it ran up against a contam.  Hopefully not the situation.

Once the top of the substrate is 100% colonized, I like to let it go for another day or two, depending on how close I am to the 14 day mark.  If you are going to case the substrate, and not put it right into fruiting conditions, the substrate will have even more time to colonize.

--------------------

Offlineronjohn7779
Stranger

Re: Monotubs ready for casing??? & Frosting layer question??? (PICS) [Re: iMtRiPpIn]
    #9452090 - 12/17/08 08:01 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Only one way to tell if you want to know 100% I say...get a Knife red hot then put some rubbing alcohol (Hydrogen Peroxide, or diluted iodine) on the blade and do a small cut on that bad boy. That one uncolonized bit is a little alarming, but as a hole everything else could be fine.  If you want to do the least amount of damage just dig around that uncolonized bit and see whats going on around it. That the best I could say. If your worried cutting about cutting into the sub you won't cause any damaging as long as you act fast (to avoid contams) and you do just a small tiny cut. It should be no large than a half an inch. You'll only need to go a few inches into the bulk sub. If your good you won't cause many (if any) bruise too.

--------------------
"Lennox Lewis, I'm coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!" An American Hero Iron Mike!

Edited by ronjohn7779 (12/17/08 08:02 PM)

InvisibleCDS
 User Gallery

Re: Monotubs ready for casing??? & Frosting layer question??? (PICS) [Re: ronjohn7779]
    #9454550 - 12/18/08 06:33 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I too had some doubts about frosting layers, so I only frosted 1/4 of my tubs, in retrospect I guess I made the right decision...

What, if any, are the dangers of exposing a bulk sub to fruiting conditions before it's colonized 100% through on the inside?

And I heard something mentioned about the 14 day mark... Is that a good rule of thumb for how long an average monotub takes to colonize?

-Thanks

Edited by CDS (12/19/08 08:12 PM)

InvisibleCDS
 User Gallery

#9464199 - 12/19/08 08:13 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks in advance...

Offlineronjohn7779
Stranger

#9464233 - 12/19/08 08:24 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

CDS said:
I too had some doubts about frosting layers, so I only frosted 1/4 of my tubs, in retrospect I guess I made the right decision...

What, if any, are the dangers of exposing a bulk sub to fruiting conditions before it's colonized 100% through on the inside?

And I heard something mentioned about the 14 day mark... Is that a good rule of thumb for how long an average monotub takes to colonize?

-Thanks

One of my perfectly healthy monotubs was 3 weeks old and it was raw in the middle... Length of time means very little. Sometimes you just got to give it the time it needs to develop even if it's longer than the normal.  A lot of factors go into a monotub's development...i.e how much FAE it gets, if it's contam'ed in the middle (although you might get early fruiting from that), if it had enough nutes, or it could just be sick of eating the same god damn shit all the time...who really knows whats going on...especially if you have a healthy looking culture that makes pin pointing problems a pain in the ass.

--------------------
"Lennox Lewis, I'm coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!" An American Hero Iron Mike!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate