Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineChubbyCubbies
ta -daaaaahhhhhh

Loc: A world of Pure imaginati...
Cakes in Pot in Outdoors QUESTION
    #946235 - 10/09/02 05:58 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Originally I started with my last two 1/2 pint BRF cakes- crumbled and spawned an amount of pasturized Scotss 3n1
Let colonize for about 3 weeks and never reached 100%- just fluffed up and spread slightly
Finally after getting fed up of waiting I figured I'd go ahead and shock and case it
After a week or two I only recieve two tiny mushrooms, BUT- they were dense. Their weight cause them to fall over just after opening up so I picked them b4 anything else happened
One thing I noticed was that these two babies bruised like caucasion that hadnt seen the light of day, I mean they were BA-LUE which made me think that the scotts was a pretty dandy source for nutrients but I was still pissed I didnt have enough so.................outside they went
I made a layer of rocks at the bottom for drainage (not many) then some scotts (kinda like a water reservoir) then some horse shit and then dumped the partially colonized scotts and mixed the shit in with it
Then added a layer of mixed shit and hay (hey, figured it wouldnt hurt) and kinda pushed some of it into the scotts/myc layer and then finally a light layer of scotts
This is all in a pretty big pot with a trash bag over it to help keep in humidity
I checked like a week later and saw that there were fingers reaching throught he scotts but upon further inspection it was just one little tiny colonized spot
I've been sticking a shovel in the pot just to see if i cant strike any gold (WHITE gold) and havnt yet
Am I being paranoid and impatient?
Shit now I cant even remember why I started this post
I've come to realize that while brf cakes may be the easiest, I want to dive into the world of grain- my only prb is that I'm going to have to be buying PREsterilized grain jars, which I've found two vendors offering 12 quart jars for around $50
Anyways If i remember why I started this I'll come back, or if something pops up in my pot Ill share that

--------------------
who shit in your cornflakes?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
Re: Cakes in Pot in Outdoors QUESTION [Re: ChubbyCubbies]
    #946256 - 10/09/02 06:09 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Wow, that was the longest, most incomprehensable post ever. Just kidding, kinda. Anyway, if you want to get into grain, just go to ebay and get yourself a pressure cooker. Instead of paying $50 for a dozen jars of sterilized grain, you can pay about that and get yourself a PC and do all the jars you want. Good luck.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

OfflineShaw
hick

Loc: midwest, usa
Re: Cakes in Pot in Outdoors QUESTION [Re: ChubbyCubbies]
    #948044 - 10/10/02 02:03 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

yah, that post was long so i only read the first and last parts. I'd definatly buy a pressure cooker though.

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: Cakes in Pot in Outdoors QUESTION [Re: Shaw]
    #948444 - 10/10/02 07:16 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

yeah pressure cookers go for as low as 10 dollars on ebay go check it out

OfflineMsPacMan
Stranger

Loc: Florida, USA
Re: Cakes in Pot in Outdoors QUESTION [Re: ]
    #948600 - 10/10/02 08:31 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Do you guys just use reg. pressure cookers? or the fancy ones with all the gauges?  The one i use is a good old fashioned cooker, but im not sure if its cooking at 15 psi or not....i just started my grains so i am not sure if they are ok but they look pretty dry.....

de-=-
:wink: 

Offlinehappygrins
addict

Loc: Shroomery
Re: Cakes in Pot in Outdoors QUESTION [Re: MsPacMan]
    #948628 - 10/10/02 08:43 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

If your using 2/3 cup Grain to 1/3 cup water and PCing for 1 hr.  They should be perfect.

--happygrins :grin: 

OfflineMsPacMan
Stranger

Loc: Florida, USA
Re: Cakes in Pot in Outdoors QUESTION [Re: happygrins]
    #948631 - 10/10/02 08:44 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Great....thanks.

Offlinebabyshroom
addict
Loc: Florida
Re: Cakes in Pot in Outdoors QUESTION [Re: MsPacMan]
    #948678 - 10/10/02 09:09 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

regular old walmart $40 thing, Mirro brand. Only one I could find local (and quick) that was tall enough for quart jars. Only holds 3 at a time, which sucks. Has a thing on the top where you can have 5, 10 or 15 psi., depending on how many of the pieces you attach. The rubber gaskets on this kind wear out quickly, so order extras if you plan to experiment a lot.
I dream of owning a big, fancy, quality pc, but the wally model is getting me by for now.
My grains were dry at first too. Hell, I'm still having trouble. I can get wheat to colonize (soft pastry berries) completely all day long, but they feel so freakin' GROSS to work with. They also seem to contam more often than my rye.
The rye jars almost always slow down and look kinda' dry toward the end, so I know my moisture is still off. Sometimes they stall and go to heaven.
I thought I had the rye thing all tied up a coupla' weeks back. Used 50/50 tye berries and past. straw juice - those babies took off like rockets. But in the end, they slowed WAY down, just like all the rest. And they have way more myc. piss than I've ever seen before. At least I hope that's what I'm seeing!
Anyways, if yours look dry.....I have had minimal success with adding sterile water after the fact. Didn't work too well with berries, but did help finish up some seed jars. I think I may have waited too long on the rye - plan to try again next time mine go dry.

--------------------
I don't really know anyone who grows mushrooms. I just come here for fun.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation